Tankmates for Betta/Stocking for 20gal Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sorynne

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I joined the site recently as I'm getting back into owning fish. I had a lot of Bettas when I was younger and haven't owned fish in a few years, and I'm looking to start a 20gal community tank with at least 1 Betta. I'm not sure about compatibility for all of these fish together, but my current list of what I'm thinking of getting is:

1 Betta (Male or Female)
4-6 Cory Cats (Must Have! ^-^)
A few Mystery Snails (If they're compatible)
1 Bristlenose Pleco (Still on the fence about this one, I'm going to College in a few years and won't be able to take it with me, and my parents don't like fish that much.)
Some moss balls, and possibly some live plants

Are these all compatible, and if not, what are some other tankmates I could subsitute? I'd also love some ideas for other fish to put in the tank, I'd like it to look lively but not crowded (I also adore schooling fish but like to be able to tell them apart.) Thank you for reading, and have a nice day!

Hi! Welcome to the community!

If you have had Betta in the past, you know not all Betta fish would like living in a community tank. Especially males it seems, and but even some females will be tankmate killers. Even seemingly with things going alright for quite some time then one day there is a massacre. Perhaps as the fish grows into maturity?!?

With that amount of room and not over crowding you have a better shot.

Think nano fish too since you might like a group to shoal. If you are sharp you might be able to ID the different ones by M/F or color identifying secs, etc.

There are usually available at the lfs dwarf Pygmy Cories /Corydoras Pygmaeus, which are adorable and reasonably priced. Which would be a great option for that sized tank!!!

Okay, thank you so much! I think I'm going to end up getting a 20 gallon with a betta, some cories, and a group of shoaling/schooling fish. Thank you again for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom