Tankmates for two fancies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shanny

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all!

It's been a while since I posted.

I have a 37g tall, cold freshwater tank with two fancy goldfish in it. They are both about 3" long (body only). I think one is male and the other female.

What I'm wondering is if I can add some other species of cold freshwater fish in the tank. I figure 30g for the two goldies so can I stock 7g worth of smaller fish? The tank has been cycled for a few months now. I do 50% pwc weekly. It just looks so empty with just the two of them. I don't want another Goldie since they are poop machines and I think another would push the bio load too high.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Right now your tank is overstocked. One goldfish should have 20 gallons of water.

bettaowner said:
Right now your tank is overstocked. One goldfish should have 20 gallons of water.

From what people on here and on the goldfish board have told me it is 20 for the first and 10 more for each additional Goldie. So that would be 30 for two. I have a 37g so I'm not overstocked.

That's not a lot of room for any other fish. Goldfish are messy and might try to eat smaller fish ( white cloud minnow)

Because of their requirements Fancy Goldfish don't have very many options for tank mates. A few things that have similar requirements are White Clouds, Danios (Rerio), Bamboo Shrimp, a couple of Cory species (you will have to research on that cause I don't know specifically which ones tolerate the colder water). It's your choice to overstock your tank or not, just make sure you have adequate filtration (at least 10x turn over per hour) and you increase your PWC schedule. Keep in mind that you will need at least five Danios, White Clouds, or Cories as they are schooling/shoaling fish. They may also get eaten but they are pretty fast and should be able to avoid the Fancies "clutches". You will also have to ensure that the Fancies are getting their share of food if you try WCs or Danios as they are fast and may eat up everything before the slow Goldfish can get to it. Good luck.

You also have the option of getting a couple big snails. Mystery snails come in several colors and ramshorns have fancy blue and pink/red ones. Yes, they will have little ones but I found out quite by accident that fancy goldies will eat little snails... I put some malaysain trumpet snails in for keeping the substrate aerated and the next morning they were all gone. Got on line and then found out about the goldfish eating snails. Big ones they can't eat so they are kind of a snail control.

Back
Top Bottom