Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2021, 06:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Exclamation Tanks P.H is 6.2 Help!

Hello everyone just a quick urgent question I have a 10 gallon tank with mollies, platys, cardinals, swordfish, cory's, and my worry right now is that the ph is at 6.2 any advice if I should leave it at is or if I should raise it they are an established community of fish I did a test strip and the
Nitrates 20ppm
0 nitrites
Ph is at 6.2
Alkalinity is at 0
I'll add the picture of the strip and the tank and fish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210412_150128702.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	320528   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210412_150755700_HDR.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	320529  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210412_150107263.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	320530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210410_172125316.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	320531  

Old 04-13-2021, 12:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nere1204 View Post
Hello everyone just a quick urgent question I have a 10 gallon tank with mollies, platys, cardinals, swordfish, cory's, and my worry right now is that the ph is at 6.2 any advice if I should leave it at is or if I should raise it they are an established community of fish I did a test strip and the
Nitrates 20ppm
0 nitrites
Ph is at 6.2
Alkalinity is at 0
I'll add the picture of the strip and the tank and fish
When it comes to PH, it is best to set it and forget it. Most fish that are common in the hobby are tolerant of a wide range of PH levels. In fact, most of the fish I see in your tank are actually from acidic water in the wild and are right at home at 6.2. PH additives almost always do more harm than good and one of the most important pieces of advice I give to newcomers is to not mess with your PH. The levels you should pay attention to are ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. Those are the ones that will actually hurt your fish if they are elevated but it looks like you are doing a good job. Let me know if you have any other questions. If you are new to the hobby this site is a wealth of information and there are experts on just about anything you could ask about.

Also, I know you did not ask about this, but you have quite a few fish in there so I would not recommend adding any more unless you get a larger setup. Mollies and platys make quite a bit of waste so you are already going to need to keep up on your water changes to maintain your parameters.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
When it comes to PH, it is best to set it and forget it. Most fish that are common in the hobby are tolerant of a wide range of PH levels. In fact, most of the fish I see in your tank are actually from acidic water in the wild and are right at home at 6.2. PH additives almost always do more harm than good and one of the most important pieces of advice I give to newcomers is to not mess with your PH. The levels you should pay attention to are ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. Those are the ones that will actually hurt your fish if they are elevated but it looks like you are doing a good job. Let me know if you have any other questions. If you are new to the hobby this site is a wealth of information and there are experts on just about anything you could ask about.

Also, I know you did not ask about this, but you have quite a few fish in there so I would not recommend adding any more unless you get a larger setup. Mollies and platys make quite a bit of waste so you are already going to need to keep up on your water changes to maintain your parameters.
Thank you so much and I will definitely take you up on the offer of advice I really appreciate it alot sorry I'm just answering been a little busy I followed your advice and I was able to just let it go and focus on the more important factors and yea I figured it was alot when the person that sold it to me already came with all those little guys Im just making sure to do weekly water changes... every Friday is 20% clean up day for both my tanks hopefully I'll be able to upgrade my tanks soon for sure. Thank you so much.

Tags
tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com