Tannins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcutajar

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys, just wondering what the most effective way of removing tannins is? Ive heard soak for a month. If i do this will my water still go yellow, i dont really want to purchase extra products such as cabin

Tannins actually play a beneficial role in the aquarium.

Driftwood helps boost the immune systems of your fishes. When driftwood is submerged, natural Tannins will slowly leach into the aquarium water. These tannins create a slightly acidic environment that helps to keep viruses and disease causing bacterium at bay. The tannins released can also increase available oxygen in the water column, further stimulating your fishes' immune systems.

Some aquarists find the tea colored water unsightly and some (myself included) don't mind it at all. I always find a significant plant growth after adding a new piece of driftwood. But if the color bothers you, the best way to remove them is to perform water changes. There should be no reason to add chemicals.

Lol, I have to add tannins and other blackwater extracts to get my high maintenance plants the right colors as well as making many unusable trace elements immediately available for absorption.

Look up rainforest black water biotope pictures and maybe you'll see the charm some of us see in this unique habitat :) good luck!!

Soak new driftwood for 2-3 weeks in a bucket. You have to change the watef as it turns yellow every couple days or it will just turn your tank yellow again. Faster process is to boil the wood for about 10-15 min, change water and boil again. Just to check I will soak for a day and check water to see if its yellow. I don't have a pot big enough to boil my driftwood so I usually just boil water and pour it into a bucket with the wood in it. Takes a few days that way but much quicker than soaking for 2 weeks or more til the water stays clear.

I have boiled my driftwood. I have boiled it multiple times and it still releases tannins. Although now it seems to finally stopped, there is a very light tea color to my water but hardly noticeable.

Purigen takes tannins out of water. I use it in all my tanks - all have wood in them. Before I added it to the last tank the water was very dark from the wood pieces I put in even after I soaked it for weeks and now it is crystal clear. It truly is an amazing product

That's good. It will be crystal clear in a couple more scheduled pwc. It's not hurting your fish or plants. I actually pulled all my carbons and just ran my sponges and ceramic media in my filter and went full amazon in my tank. The water turned into a Iced tea color and I enjoyed it but my tank is in my living room and got tired of explaining that my tank wasn't dirty and it was an eye sore to those not understanding of what I was doing. The water tested fine and my fish and plants were healthy so your not hurting anything. Just stick with your sceduled pwc and I bet in 1 or 2 more your water will be clear

I kinda like my water tea colored it looks good, but I might try purigen cause I have been wanting to test it out so I will do a before and after shot

Wow I am really diggin the tannin look! Love these pics.

HUKIT, I gotta say that tank is really amazing like that with the tint. I LOVE it!! Now I wanna do that in my tank. Maybe help diffuse some if the light?
;)

Peat moss would help you get that effect, but it will also soften the water at the same. The drop in PH would be relevant to your water chemistry.

Peat moss would help you get that effect, but it will also soften the water at the same. The drop in PH would be relevant to your water chemistry.

So maybe it's not a good idea? I REALLY like that but don't wanna stress my crew out for the sake of a new look.

So maybe it's not a good idea? I REALLY like that but don't wanna stress my crew out for the sake of a new look.

It's hard to say with my liquid rock(always 7.8)water peat moss doesn't even make a dent in my higher PH, you'd have to give it shot and see how yours changes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom