Tap or RO for fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandd661

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

Was just wondering if it matters if I use treated tap or RO water for my fishless cycle. I plan on going 100% RO at the end of the cycle. But I'm using treated tap until then. Is this OK? Or should I use RO all the way through the cycle? Thanks!

Hello,

Was just wondering if it matters if I use treated tap or RO water for my fishless cycle. I plan on going 100% RO at the end of the cycle. But I'm using treated tap until then. Is this OK? Or should I use RO all the way through the cycle? Thanks!

If you use 100% RO you have to use something to remineralize it. Fish need minerals in the water, which your RO system takes out. Seachem equilibrum is pretty good for fish.

How big is the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't see how this question pertains to the thread at all.

It matters bc a very large tank would be a huge job to fill 100% volume from most RO systems- it might not be worth the effort in that case.

In a small to medium size tank, I have and would use all RO. I'm of the less is better approach, and would prefer to add minerals to RO if needed, over removing chlorine, etc. from municipal water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a 35gl Tall tank. My tap water Ph is 8.0 and a test strip shows it to be "hard" water. A visual shows the water to be a "little" hazy when looking at it.

I'm very confused about this mineral thing now. I have not specifically read anything about required levels of minerals for a freshwater tank. What should I be looking for? Or should I be using a mix of tap water and RO?

I'll be buying the RO/DI water from my LFS and his meter shows it to be .005 from .125 on the inlet. Not sure what that means other than "impurities removed."

I have a 35gl Tall tank. My tap water Ph is 8.0 and a test strip shows it to be "hard" water. A visual shows the water to be a "little" hazy when looking at it.

I'm very confused about this mineral thing now. I have not specifically read anything about required levels of minerals for a freshwater tank. What should I be looking for? Or should I be using a mix of tap water and RO?

I'll be buying the RO/DI water from my LFS and his meter shows it to be .005 from .125 on the inlet. Not sure what that means other than "impurities removed."

You mainly just want the water hardness up. You can do 50/50 RO/TAP if you want. That's what I do.

Back
Top Bottom