Tap Water pH Too High

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nomadman2003

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a new tank that I'm getting all cleaned and ready to start cycling, so in preparation I bought a water test kit (vials and solutions, not strips) and I found the pH of my faucet water is 8.0 straight from the tap.

Most of the fish I'm interested in keeping have a range between 7.0 and 7.5. So as a matter of opinion do people think I should just buy some pH modifying chemicals and patch my tap water each water change, or should I just make it easier on myself and find fish that can tolerate 8.0 water pH?

As long as it's stable, most fish will be fine a that pH. Messing with it will cause drastic swings that will harm your fish. The pH guidelines you see for fish are optimal, and for breeding. But most can thrive a little outside those parameters. Stability is most important.

My fish are very happy in my8.3 pH water.

IMO get the fish you want. Don't settle just because your tap water is high. You won't be happy, you know what I mean? Your gonna be caring for these fish and enjoying them! :)

Get what YOU want don't ever settle!!

They have pH buffers and ways to help bring your pH down. You can fill a few buckets up and wait 24 hours and re test. Maybe it will go down a bit, ya never know.

Anyway. They sell stuff to help with your pH just hate to see you settle and then wanna kick yourself for not getting what you really wanted!!

Good luck! :)

Hholly said:
As long as it's stable, most fish will be fine a that pH. Messing with it will cause drastic swings that will harm your fish. The pH guidelines you see for fish are optimal, and for breeding. But most can thrive a little outside those parameters. Stability is most important.

My fish are very happy in my8.3 pH water.

Holly also has a very good point too. My friend has tetras in a African Cichlid tank. 8.2 and your talking these tetras are what 7.2-7.4? They adapt but not always good for them.

She said it best. Stability is the key!! If you can maintain the pH you will be fine. It's the drastic swings in pH that will stress and possible kill them.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice all, it's great to hear it from people who have done this before ;)

I am betting if I ask the guy at the pet store he would let me have 5mL of tank water... my guess is that he's using the city tap water too. Already acclimated!

Thanks

nomadman2003 said:
Thanks for the advice all, it's great to hear it from people who have done this before ;)

I am betting if I ask the guy at the pet store he would let me have 5mL of tank water... my guess is that he's using the city tap water too. Already acclimated!

Thanks

Yep, most likely. I've bought fish that the LFS had kept in R/o water. I drip acclimated them and they've done fine.

Have you tested your tap water after 24hrs of out-gasing? My tap water is above 8.0 straight out of the tap but after bubbling it for 24hrs it drops down into the mid/low 7s.

pH Question

So I have a new tank that I'm getting all cleaned and ready to start cycling, so in preparation I bought a water test kit (vials and solutions, not strips) and I found the pH of my faucet water is 8.0 straight from the tap.

Most of the fish I'm interested in keeping have a range between 7.0 and 7.5. So as a matter of opinion do people think I should just buy some pH modifying chemicals and patch my tap water each water change, or should I just make it easier on myself and find fish that can tolerate 8.0 water pH?

Hello no....

Unless your fish are a rare species, you don't need to worry about soft or hard tap water. The vast majority of tropical fish will adapt and be fine in the vast majority of municipal water supplies.

The key to a healthy aquarium is simply large and frequent water changes. Just flush a lot of pure, treated tap water through your tank every week. This routine will keep the water chemistry stable and the fish and plants will take care of themselves.

B

Back
Top Bottom