Tap water quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Varuu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

My tapwater tests at 4ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0-5ppm nitrates.
Once my tqank is cycled will I be able to use my tapwater for PWC's?
I am using prime as dechlorinator and I read once my aquarium is cycled the bio filter will be able to remove some ammonia from the tapwater without causing a problem for the fish.
But my question is if the ammonia is at 4ppm and once i add fish to the tank and they produce more ammonia will it be safe to use my tapwater or will I have problems with the amount of ammonia?
Right now I got my tank at the following.
After a 50% water change yesterday I tested my water tonight in the tank.
I got 0.5-1 ppm ammonia, 5+ nitrites and about 10-20 nitrates.

Thank you for any advise

Hi all,

My tapwater tests at 4ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0-5ppm nitrates.
Once my tqank is cycled will I be able to use my tapwater for PWC's?
I am using prime as dechlorinator and I read once my aquarium is cycled the bio filter will be able to remove some ammonia from the tapwater without causing a problem for the fish.
But my question is if the ammonia is at 4ppm and once i add fish to the tank and they produce more ammonia will it be safe to use my tapwater or will I have problems with the amount of ammonia?
Right now I got my tank at the following.
After a 50% water change yesterday I tested my water tonight in the tank.
I got 0.5-1 ppm ammonia, 5+ nitrites and about 10-20 nitrates.

Thank you for any advise

I would recommend you use Prime as your water conditioner given the high level of ammonia in your tap water -- which I see you are already doing. :)

If I remember correctly from reading the bottle, the 'normal' dose of Prime based on water volume will detoxify 1 ppm of ammonia. Dose Prime when doing water changes to detoxify the level of ammonia you are getting from your tap water, and I think you'll be fine.

The Prime should detoxify the ammonia long enough for your biofilter to clear it from your tank.

If I recall correctly, the ammonia detoxification wears off in about 48 hours, so what I'd do is....

Do the water change with the proper dose of Prime to detoxify the ammonia, then retest ammonia in 48 hours. If ammonia is zero, you're golden -- the Prime made the tap water safe long enough to allow the filter to clear it. If you still have ammonia, dose Prime in accordance to your water volume and remaining ammonia level, retest in 48 hours... etc..

But I think you'll find that your established biofilter will have no trouble clearing the ammonia before the Prime wears off.

Good luck!

What are you using to test? That level of ammonia seems awfully high, for treated tap water.

I agree. You may want to look online at your local water authority to see if they publish water test results. I get a report each quarter from our water co. There may be something like that available to you that can confirm/deny your test results.

Thank you all for your responses.
I do use the API liquid FW master kit. Our tapwater is always between 2-4 ppm I tested again today and it is a little less dark green but still closer to 4. I guess I was just making sure that once I add fish and I do a water change the combined amount of ammonia is going to be safe. I am also about to go buy a second filter to increase my biofilter capacity.

Thank you all for your responses.
I do use the API liquid FW master kit. Our tapwater is always between 2-4 ppm I tested again today and it is a little less dark green but still closer to 4. I guess I was just making sure that once I add fish and I do a water change the combined amount of ammonia is going to be safe. I am also about to go buy a second filter to increase my biofilter capacity.

In your case, especially, I think the added biofilter capacity is an excellent idea -- given the levels of ammonia coming from your tap.

And while it's two filters to maintain instead of one, having two will mean that you'll still have some filtration if one of them breaks down or otherwise goes offline for any reason.

But hey, on the bright side?

"Ammonia source for my next fishless cycle? Um... my faucet!"

Best!

Just one more thing I'd like to add that came to me after my last reply:

Once your tank's cycle is fully established and you've added fish, I'd recommend smaller more frequent water changes as opposed to larger less frequent ones when it comes to maintenance. While I think this is generally good advice all around, I think it is especially true given your particular circumstances.

While a water conditioner (like Prime) can detoxify ammonia long enough for an established biofilter to clear it from the tank, smaller more frequent changes will lessen the ammonia spikes coming from the tap water, making it just a little easier for your biofilter to clear them.

Best!

Yeah thank you for all your tips.
I did some research and was about to order an eheim 2213 canister filter as I read alot of good reviews about them and thought that would be a nice addition. Then I read about sponge filter.
Any thoughts on that? I think a sponge filter in addition the the ex20 tetra one i got now might be ok to deal with the bioload?
Or should i just go ahead with the canister?

Thank you again

Varuu said:
Yeah thank you for all your tips.
I did some research and was about to order an eheim 2213 canister filter as I read alot of good reviews about them and thought that would be a nice addition. Then I read about sponge filter.
Any thoughts on that? I think a sponge filter in addition the the ex20 tetra one i got now might be ok to deal with the bioload?
Or should i just go ahead with the canister?

Thank you again

In the end it is a personal choice based on cost and features. I think you would be fine either way.

Were it me, I have goldfish (messier) so would likely opt for the second canister. If you have 'cleaner' fish, the sponge should work just fine. Flow/current is also a consideration as some fish can handle more than others.

Best!

Back
Top Bottom