Teach me everything Sensei!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joderson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, my name is Jodie!
Im a 100% beginner at this! Only a few days ago i still thought fish could live in bowls! :shock:

Ive got an AR-380 Aquarium, and sorry for being a total :n00b: but i dont even know how many gallons that holds :confused:

Ive read alot over the past week about peoples tanks going wrong and them having to start again and so i thought id come to the experts to give me a great start :dope:

So i basically need a step by step guide starting with en empty tank!

I have 2 ideas of what id like it to look like!

The first is Japanese themed, theres a beautiful Betta tank on youtube with bamboo sticks in it, live plants and a buddha in the middle which i'd love to take inspiration from since my bedroom has a full Japanese rising Sun painted all across the wall!

And my second idea was a bit more simple looking with maybe a nice rock cave/underpass in the middle and maybe attempt to grow some live plants around it! I just saw a great looking shrimp tank on here that was just beautiful!

Im really excited and cant wait to get ideas on set ups, fish and everything else!!

So heres what i know!
My tank is called AR-380 from a brand called Aqua One.
I have a heater that says on it: 220/240 V, 50W and 50 HZ
and my filter is called Elite Stingray 10!

ill try post some pics so you get a better idea!

Ive just been on a website and made a list of all the fish i like, what i need to know now is which ones are good for beginners which ones can live in harmony together which would be best suited for my tank etc etc and then maybe some advice on plants too! So here are the fish!

Betta
Cherry Barb
Golden White Cloud
Long fin White cloud
Pleco
Endler's Livebearer
Pineapple platty
Tiger Ruby Platty
Red Platty
False Julii Cory Cat
Panda Cory Cat
Guppies
Gold Algae eater
Hi Fin Lyretail Swordtail
Hi fin Swordtail blood red
Indian Dwarf Puffer
Figue 8 puffer
Needle nose gar
Ruby Red Pancilfish
Blue Knight Lobster
Shrimp
Bicolor dottyback
Clownfish
Diamond watchman goby
Foxface Lo
Longnose hawkfish
Midas Blenny
Neon Blue Gobby
Yellow Prawn Goby
Pink spotted watchman goby
Red striped goby
cave transparent goby
catalina goby
red spotted goby
Bartletts anthias
blood spot anthias
cubicus boxfish
Longhorn cowfish
sunrise dottyback
garden eel
Pipe fish
seahorses
Spiny star astraea
pompom crab
bumblebee snail
kissing fish

and here are the plants i like:

Dwarf hairgrass
amazon sword plant
anacharis
Cabomba
Chainsword narrow leaf
Dwarf baby tears
hygrophilia angustifolia
Madagascar lace
micro sword
mossball
myrio
oriental sword

Thankyou and sorry for such a long post! Me, my tank and my future fishies are at your mercy!

Welcome to AA. :)

So to start with the fish list you posted. Some of those fish are salt water only and some are fresh water. You'll need to decide which way you want to go.

Secondly, your tank is roughly 75 liters, which is about 19. something gallons. (going by info on their website.)

Here's where you need to start. Once you get the cycle understood and on it's way, then you should post about stocking options.

Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

Nitrogen Cycle

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/read-this-first-resources-and-references-83826.html

If you are thinking plants, you would have to eliminate the SW or brackish water fish ... salt & plants just don't mix ....

From a plant stand point, your most important consideration is the amount of light you have. I suspect you have stock light, and that is likely to be inadequate for the plants listed. However, look under the hood & post what light you have (type of bulb & wattage) ... then we can suggest what plants you can grow.

Thanks guys ill have a read up of the water cycle now and i think ill go for fresh water, i liked alot more fish from that catagory anyway and i really want some real plants! Ill go check what my light is too, it did come with the tank so it probably is very basic.

Back
Top Bottom