ten gallon aqaurium- newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chelseachuy

Aquarium Advice Activist
vie been told i been over stocking my tank so is it standard that if i don't want the fish i have i can bring them back to the pet store ?

still having some trouble with ammonia so any recommendations keeping it down ? i been doing my water changes. but every time i do a water change do i add stresscoat ? and my test results have no changed even after the change!

Lets take it one step at a time. Howong have you had your tank? Did you cycle it before adding any fish? What kind of stock are you keeping in this 10 gal and what kind of filtration are you running? All these will help us give you a hand.

five days now. i have about seven tiger barbs 1 bolivian ram 1 corey cat 1 red tail shark and 1 gourami .. the filter came with the tank from pets smart.

You should take them back. Its def. Overstocked. If you have a recipt you should be able too. I'm pretty sure the red tail Aline shouldn't be in a ten. I did a fish in cycle, with 2 plattys and a few plants in a ten gal. I also used some water additives to jump start this process, and now have a nicely stocked tank.

If you want lots of action in a ten gal, get like, 5 plattys, 2 guppies, a sucker fish of sorts, and like 10 ghost shrimp. Ghost shrimp are way fun to watch, and hardly no bioload to ur tank

Live plants are good also, as shrimp and livebearers like plattys will eat algea if they don't get fed for some reason, and skrimp keep ur substrate squeaky clean, I have 10, with eggs layed in the forest to the left

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110422_042143.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110422_042143.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 64
  • ForumRunner_20110422_042159.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110422_042159.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 73
  • ForumRunner_20110422_042217.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110422_042217.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 80
  • ForumRunner_20110422_042233.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110422_042233.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 76
No cycle before putting the fish in then? I rather you took them back and have a good cycle. You can cycle with fish, but with that kind of stock you are most probably going to have casualties. Keep you parameters in check and get your bucket ready for frequent PWC.

Petsmart will take your fish back if it has been less than 2 weeks since you bought them and with a receipt. I had to take back a fish that was not working in my tank about 2 months ago, they didn't even ask any questions.

I did a fish in cycle as well but I only had a couple fish in my tank. I think if you can take all but a couple back and just keep on with your PWCs you should start to see some progress. My tank took a little over 3 weeks to cycle and it was definitely hard to be patient!

Chelseachuy said:
i been doing my water changes. but every time i do a water change do i add stresscoat ? and my test results have no changed even after the change!

Yes, you do add Stresscoat every time you change the water. I do my PWCs using a bucket so I always added it to the water in the bucket before I dumped it into the tank. You can also add Stresszyme every 7 days. Its debatable whether it works but I used it just in case, it can't hurt, right? And, again, I think you will start to see a change in your ammonia levels once you lessen the amount of fish you have fouling up the water.

Thanks for advice. I didn't get then from pets mart but from petland discounts. So far so good with the fish I been in there almost everyday I dont want to look silly bringing them back I want to give back the barbs

the cory might be the only fish that can be in there and that depends on what kind and if its a dwarf gourami it'll go and the cory needs groups of 4

Back
Top Bottom