Ten gallon restocking...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
Once I move all of my current stock to my upcoming 90 gallon I'd like some ideas for my ten.It will be/is a heavily planted tank with driftwood
Took forever to find a tiny enough piece
I was thinking-
2-otoclinus
1-dwarf gourami
6-harlequin rasbora
OR
2-oto
1-betta
5-harlequin rasbora
OR
2-oto
5-Rummynose tetra
5-cardinal tetra
1-male guppy
20-RCS
OR-
2-oto
5-cardinal tetra
5-CPD
20-RCS
OR
2-oto
5-assorted pencilfish
1-american flagfish
20-RCS
OR
2-oto-
5-scarlet gem badis
5-CPD
1-male guppy
Which of these is the best stock list?
Also,what are the common nano fish that stay very small?
Thanks!

Just my $.02 but I wouldn't put a DG in a 10 gal; it can get aggressive it it feels cramped. A gourami like a honey or sparkling might be better. I also wouldn't do cardinals, rummynose or harlequins in a 10 as they are pretty active swimmers and might be cramped. I think Flagfish do best in a pair or small group but they can become aggressive particularly when mating and they like cooler temps than most fish so tankmates might be difficult to find for them. Not sure on the Otos either; they like groups but a 10 might be too small for them and they might starve if there's not enough algae to sustain them.

I'd do something like:
2 Scarlet Badis
8-10 Nano fish like Celestial Pearl Danio (I have these, great fish), Ember tetra or Chili Rasbora
6 Pygmy or Dwarf Cory
1 Nerite Snail

But there are other possibilities of course; I'm sure others will have some suggestions too.

I don't suggest honey gouramis for a 10g tank. Lots of honey gouramis in the trade have been cross bred with thick lipped gouramis so they can reach a larger size than dg. Personally, I don't have an issue with dg in a 10g tank, but thats personal opinion. In addition to the sparklers, there are also croaking gouramis.
However, rummies and cardinals get too big for a 10g tank and they are too active. Havinbg both of them in there would definitely not be good in the long run. Harlequin rasboras are a bit for a 10g as well IME.
I agree with the suggestions from library girl. There are also green neons, clown killifish, Norman's lampeye killfish, jellybean tetras, least killifish, Endler's livebearers, dwarf spotted rasbora, and emerald rasbora.
IME, 2 otos in a 10g is fine, but keep an eye on them to make sure they get enough to eat. Of the stock lists mentioned, I suggest the cpd and badis, or ember tetras and a betta (I kept that combo and loved it).

Liveaquaria "said" all those fish would be fine in a ten
Anyway, do the ember tetras breed easily? Same for the CPDs and Chili rasboras
I like the endlers but they are rather hard to find around here
Really really want a betta so I 'might' go with the embers and a betta- but the badis are gorgeous too....
MTS has attacked! Anyway...
My LFS has this deal-
Buy a $16 ten gal and get a free aquaclear filter for it!
So I might end up with-
1-90 gal
2-10 gals
240 gallons worth of fishroom tanks

I haven't found embers to be as shy as other nano fish. I have kept them with in different tanks with larger fish and they were fine.
Like Tina said, not all bettas will be ok with tankmates, but IME they usually are, especially if you start with a young betta. If you go that route, make sure to keep an eye on it and remove the betta if you have to.
EDIT: Yeah, liveaquaria gives some pretty small tank sizes for some of its stock. I have been misled by them as well.

Last edited:
How about this stocklist-
Breeding colony of RCS
10-Celestial Pearl Danio
1-Scarlet Gem Badis
6-Corydayas(sp) Hasbrous(sp)

That sounds fine. Keep in mind the badi will eat shrimplets, but a lot of them prefer live food anyways. Also, get lots of plants for the fish to feel secure and for the shrimp to be able to hide. :)
BTW, its C. habrosus. ;)

Knew I spelled it wrong!Thanks:)
I don't care if the badis eat the shrimp-less money spent on live food!Lol
Well maybe ill try for a few to survive
I was going to do the same fittest survive thing with my guppies
Broke down the minute I saw one fry eaten

Lol. Yeah, I know how that goes. You will have shrimp survive though, especially with only one badi. And your adults will be fine, so if you ever felt the desire to have many more, you could set up a different little tank for berried females to release their shrimplets. The shrimplets are pretty small though, so you won't necessarily see them get eaten. :)

emerald76 said:
How about this stocklist-
Breeding colony of RCS
10-Celestial Pearl Danio
1-Scarlet Gem Badis
6-Corydayas(sp) Hasbrous(sp)

That's similar to my stock, just plant heavily and make sure you keep up on PWCs.

CPDs supposedly eat Shrimplets as well, but I've never seen mine go after any.

My C habrosus seem Shrimp safe. Shrimp climb on them often.

The Dario dario ( sc. Badis ) will appreciate lots of plants.

I recommend floating plants as well. Amazon Frogbit or dwarf Water Lettuce are good. Duckweed is cool, but grows too fast.

The floaters will reassure your shyer fish. My DD likes to hang out in the roots ;)

absolutangel04 said:
Lol. Yeah, I know how that goes. You will have shrimp survive though, especially with only one badi. And your adults will be fine, so if you ever felt the desire to have many more, you could set up a different little tank for berried females to release their shrimplets. The shrimplets are pretty small though, so you won't necessarily see them get eaten. :)

Good that they are so small otherwise I'd be an emotional mess
I'd rather not have floaters coursair because I'm heavily planting most of my tank with a big piece of driftwood in the middle and I'm worried the plants wouldn't get enough light
Anyway there are many nooks, caves and holes in the dw so there is plenty of spots to hide
The shrimp will hopefully love the dw
I'll add them first( the tank will have been cycled fir a long while) to get established
Can I also add a zebra nerite?
Or could I remove one Cory and two coda and add two otos?

So...
8 CPD
6 C.Hasbrous
1 Scarlet Gem Badis
1 Zebra Nerite Snail
2 Oto
Breeding colony of RCS
Heavily planted

Don't get a nerite an otos. They eat the same thing and will compete with each other for food. I have done it for awhile in a 10g, but I ended up having to move the snails out so the otos didn't have competition. Both species can be difficult to supplement, so its best to just have 1 or the other in a tank that size.

Don't get a nerite an otos. They eat the same thing and will compete with each other for food. I have done it for awhile in a 10g, but I ended up having to move the snails out so the otos didn't have competition. Both species can be difficult to supplement, so its best to just have 1 or the other in a tank that size.

Would it work if I knew the otos would eat supplementary food?My LFS will train them onto wafers or frozen or whatever for you cheaply
Or could I get the otos first,train them to wafers/frozen,then add a snail?

IME, no, because even if the otos will eat supplements, they will typically eat natural algae first which won't leave enough for the nerite. Not all nerites will eat wafers, so they can be out-competed by the otos in that size tank.IME

Back
Top Bottom