Test results...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bunebop

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm still trying to cycle my tank... I know these threads are prolly getting annoying but... :oops: . I just checked the stats on my tank. My boyfriend had me add 1/2 a tablespoon of ammonia to it last night :evil: saying that otherwise all the bacteria I have grown would die.... I did a 50% water change yesterday on Menagerie's advice since my nitrite and nitrate were ridiculously high. I checked the stats this morning on the tank when I woke up and right now ammonia and nitrite are between .25-.50ppm each, and the nirate it still pretty high, about 30 or so. Is this going to work? Should I check it again later in the day and then if the nitrite and ammonia are all the way down do another 60% water change and add a few of my fish? Or am I just screwed no matter what I do? TIA.

30 isn't really high for nitrate. Some people don't even bother with water changes unless their test shows more than 50 for nitrates, some wait even to 100. Nitrates are a tricky one to worry about, because in and of itself they probably won't kill a fish unless you fail to acclimate properly.

30-40ppm is a good goal to keep your nitrates at but I wouldn't lose sleep if you're a little higher than that.

yeah, it was 80 yesterday :evil: :evil: What about the nitrite and ammonia though? Those are the one's i'm really having the problems with. Thanks.

Don't panick. I know you are worried about going away for awhile, but if you can't add the fish, it won't be the worst thing that could happen.
ammonia and nitrite are between .25-.50ppm each
Check again later today and post back. If they are still low, I would do a 25% change. If the water parameters look good tomorrow, add the danios. I know you want to add the cories, but they are not as hardy as the danios.

If your other tanks are established, take a bucket of old tank water and shake out the filter pads from the other tanks. The water should turn brown with bacteria. Add this straight to your 50 gal's filter. If your other tanks are not well established, there won't be enough bacteria to do this.

I have one that is well established.. the 10 gallon. THe 15 is only about a week old... and the other has been up maybe 2 months... but it's still having it's own problems. The 10 however has a brand new filter... maybe a week or 2 old... so I dunno how much bacteria would be on it.

Back
Top Bottom