Testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oldspice said:
When should I test the levels in my tank? After a water change?

If your tank is completely cycled and established, you dont check often. I never check ammo or nitrites in an established tank, I only check pH every now and then, and nitrates just to see where I'm at.

Has it been cycled, are you cycling now with the fish?

Do you know what cycling is?

What fish do you have? Has it finished cycling yet?

Test before a water change (actually test daily if the tank is still that new and not cycled) to see where your levels are. If ammonia and/or nitrite is over .25, do a water change(s) to get them down. Same with nitrate over 20.

I have 2 tetra neons, 4 tetra phantom and 3 mollies. Tank is still cycling. Did a water change yesterday and changed the filters.Will test the levels today. Thank you for your help.

Oldspice said:
I have 2 tetra neons, 4 tetra phantom and 3 mollies. Tank is still cycling. Did a water change yesterday and changed the filters.Will test the levels today. Thank you for your help.

No don't change filters until they are falling apart, literally. And even then keep them in there to seed the new filters. That is where your beneficial bacteria is stored and if you change your filter every time it will take longer to cycle your tank and cause spikes. Every so often it is ok to take the filter out and swish it around in some tank water to clean it some. I do that about every 2 weeks.

Oh dear! Shouldn't have done that. Have an Aqua One tank, with filters overhead along the top. Realise now have probably gone backwards in the cycle. Won't do that again. Setting up the tank is a very steep learning curve.

I do it every other week. Word of advice. Don't change the filter cartridge (not sure if you meant by filters the cartridge or actual filter itself) at the same time as you do a PWC

Oldspice said:
Oh dear! Shouldn't have done that. Have an Aqua One tank, with filters overhead along the top. Realise now have probably gone backwards in the cycle. Won't do that again. Setting up the tank is a very steep learning curve.

Now you know :) you will get it!
I bought my tank already established and After I got it I filled it up added dechlorinator and plopped my fish in. used about 3 gallons of old water and that's probably the only thing that's saved them! After about a week I then took it all apart again, bleached almost everything and put the fish in all new water. :eek:
Not sure why I haven't lost a fish yet! There is such a thing as too clean I've learned. Joining AA is the best thing you could have done for your fish. Sooo much information here! Keep up the good work! Definitely one of the most rewarding hobbies I've gotten into :)

It's tough. You were only following the manufacturer's instructions, I'm sure. We've all been in your shoes, in one way or another.

I rinse my filter media in used tank water when necessary and probably replace filters 3 times a year. My biomedia, I've never changed out.

Have faith and we'll get you cycled. ;)

I did change the whole filters! Realise now I shouldn't . Think I may be back to square one again. Tested my levels today after water and filter change yesterday
PH High 7.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 6.8
Nitrate 0

That's not too good, is it?

smomus said:
No don't change filters until they are falling apart, literally. And even then keep them in there to seed the new filters. That is where your beneficial bacteria is stored and if you change your filter every time it will take longer to cycle your tank and cause spikes. Every so often it is ok to take the filter out and swish it around in some tank water to clean it some. I do that about every 2 weeks.

So, do you use carbon at all? I have the aqua clear filter with a separate sponge, carbon, and ceramic whatchits. I didn't plan on changing the sponge or ceramic whatchits (I forget what they're called... Sorry!) but I did plan on switching out the carbon. Would that be a problem? Sorry to jump in with this question. Just didn't want to start a whole new thread.

Silverton said:
So, do you use carbon at all? I have the aqua clear filter with a separate sponge, carbon, and ceramic whatchits. I didn't plan on changing the sponge or ceramic whatchits (I forget what they're called... Sorry!) but I did plan on switching out the carbon. Would that be a problem? Sorry to jump in with this question. Just didn't want to start a whole new thread.

From what I understand the carbon isn't a big deal unless you've had medication of some sort in the tank and want to clean it out. The filters that I have has carbon inside it and couldn't get it out unless I destroyed the filter. I would leave it out if I had the choice but it's up to you.

smomus said:
From what I understand the carbon isn't a big deal unless you've had medication of some sort in the tank and want to clean it out. The filters that I have has carbon inside it and couldn't get it out unless I destroyed the filter. I would leave it out if I had the choice but it's up to you.

Thanks! That's good to know.

Silverton said:
Thanks! That's good to know.

Carbon will also help keep your water clear and not looking tea colored from the DW. Even though you've boiled it, it is still going to leech some tannins. But yeah- it isn't necessary for keeping a healthy aquarium.

I did change the whole filters! Realise now I shouldn't . Think I may be back to square one again. Tested my levels today after water and filter change yesterday
PH High 7.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 6.8
Nitrate 0

That's not too good, is it?

It's not horrible. Just be diligent and do daily tests to see what's what.

Back
Top Bottom