Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Testing the water

So I need to ask this question. What is the best way/product to use to test my water. Up untill now I've been relying on taking water samples to the pet store. But then I read that the test strips they use can be inaccurate. So here I sit concerned about the progress of my tank and what I need to do. What are your experiences ?

Old 11-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

A liquid reagent test kit. There are many available, but the API Master FW Test Kit seems to be one of the more reliable for the cost. There are more accurate tests out there, but they're much more expensive. Really, they don't have to be all that accurate, just consistent.... which the API kit is. The 'best' way would probably be with lab grade probes, but that's not usually financially realistic for most hobbyists.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks! I will check it out.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

+1 for the API F/W test kit, you can pick one up at any LFS around $30 and even cheaper shipped if you get it online. Although I don't typically advocate for large chains you might be able to find it cheaper on their site or Amazon is always good.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

+2 for API master kit..... $23 at kensfish.com
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sting, testing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com