Tetra SafeStart questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pmul2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I added a bottle of tetra safe start to my 38 gal aquarium 3 days ago, am I ready to add fish or do I have to do extra stuff to make sure I have a healthy tank for my fish?

If you want to use SafeStart, then just follow the instructions on the package. However, it is not recommended to use the "bacteria-in-a-bottle" products, because they don't always work. Do some research on fishless cycling and the nitrogen cycle in aquariums, then decide.

If you want to use a bacteria product to cycle your tank, I highly recommend Dr. Tim's. It will cycle your tank, unlike a lot of others. It cycled my 120 in twelve days. In fact, all his products are great. You can get it here: www.drtimsaquatics.com

Check out the Guide to starting Freshwater Aquarium in the articles before just tossing fish in. there are guides in there for fish-in cycles but involves way more work.
/

Just wanted to put my two cents in, but I just used Tetra-Safestart for a 5.5 tank and it cycled it in a few days, and from what I've read, put in a bottle rated for at least twice the size of your tank.

(I used the one for a fifteen gallon, it was the smallest I could find)

I just cycled my Fluval Edge 12 gallon with SafeStart in 4 days. The tank had been up and running for about 4 weeks but was still in the ammonia phase with no sign of nitrites. I was doing a fish-in cycle and I got impatient with the constant water changes. I decided to try SafeStart and follow the directions to a T and it worked like a charm. I will definitely use it again in the future.

I did a fishless cycle with safe start and it worked. I did not poured the bacteria solution on the water tank but into my filters. The whole cycling took about 7 days. I wouldnt do it with fish in the tank though.

The whole point of using SafeStart is to cycle a tank with fish in it. The bacteria need the fish producing waste to live. It's also vital that you do not do any water changes while using SafeStart as whatever water treatment addiitive you use will kill the bacteria. I read a lot of misinformation on the web about how people use SafeStart. I really think that is where the idea that it doesn't work comes form. If you follow the directions it works. I'd suggest reading the Tetra Q&A for some clarification on the finer points.

Tetra Tetra SafeStart : Questions, Answers, How To, FAQs, Tips, Advice, Answers, Buying Guide

I know the whole idea for Safe start but there are times that it doesnt work. Fishless cycling with safe start is a faster way to cycle the tank but i rather use pure ammonia than to use fish ( waste) for the sake of the fish. Just my experience with this product.

Back
Top Bottom