Thank god!!! Tank cycled!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azure Lord

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well after 4 months of failure, I finally tried to cycle my tank again. I use Dr Tim's one and only and well its not exactly what I would call an instant cycle, it certainly helped a lot!
My 10 gallon tank now processes 2 ppm of ammonia in a 24 hour period consistently.

It's been a long road, but I can't wait to finally have fish in here.

I want to officially thank all of you who have helped me on this journey, and i hope you all can think of me as one of you!

Im glad to have everyones support!

Awesome! I think you ran into every obstacle possible with this and still worked it out. I'm sure the info you've passed out along the way has helped others in a similar situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

First attempt was a failure....no prime, was dosing to 4ppm in a 10gal, possible poor testing methods, not sure how good tetra aquasafe+ is, prolly messed with the filter too much.

Something was preventing bb from growing

Couldnt get colonized media.

I waited and waited and then some more....nothing.

Finally about a couple weeks ago I decided just to get some prime, another bottle of Dr Tim's, and eyedroppers to remove water from the tank without directly putting my test tubes in it. And in just shy of 20 days, here we are!

Sent from the mothership!

Glad you finally got it! Maybe try fish in cycling next time if your not against it. All I do is set up a new tank with tap water and prime dechlorinator a new filter throw some danios in there and let it go for about 2 weeks then check the water the ammonia is sky high and nitrites are almost maxed do a 50% h20 change then about a week later I have a illy cycled 0 ammonia nitrite and less than 20 nitrates I do another 50 % change and start adding my fish. Never had a crash.

Do the danios live with all thst ammonia?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Glad you finally got it! Maybe try fish in cycling next time if your not against it. All I do is set up a new tank with tap water and prime dechlorinator a new filter throw some danios in there and let it go for about 2 weeks then check the water the ammonia is sky high and nitrites are almost maxed do a 50% h20 change then about a week later I have a illy cycled 0 ammonia nitrite and less than 20 nitrates I do another 50 % change and start adding my fish. Never had a crash.

I don't think that's the process of fish-in cycling at all. Your fish are living despite your efforts, not because of (climb off soap box).

I don't think that's the process of fish-in cycling at all. Your fish are living despite your efforts, not because of (climb off soap box).

Ouch. No kidding. Poor fish.

To the OP congrats and thanks for the update. Yet another good review of Dr Tims.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I am a fan of fishless cycling just because its more humane and sets up a stronger bacterial filtration than crappy fish in cycling which, despite what people say, still harms whatever living thing you choose to put in there during the cycle. Also, who decides which fish are "disposable"? Why are Danios or feeder's lives less important that its okay to subject them to ammonia burning their gills, eyes, and fins?

Dont agree? Well then grab a bottle of Ace Hardware pure ammonia, go into a closet, open up the bottle and sit there a bit. Tell me how comfortable you are in there after say 10 minutes? Ammonia BURNS all living things and imo is not an okay way for another living thing to live. Especially since now, with all we know, its easy to cycle without fish present. It is also important to note that we keep these creatures in tanks, so they cant get out no matter how uncomfortable they get. How awful is that? It would be like you going in the closet with the ammonia, but I lock the door afterwards.

If you do cycle with fish in, you need to test daily. Before I knew all of the stuff I now do on cycling, I did a fish in with a few fish. I tested in the am, then after work. Any ammonia and I changed 50% of the water. It took forever, and I did daily water changes for a month which sucked, but they all lived. I will never do it that way again though.

Thought I would include a picture of what it looks like before I put fish in it this weekend. 10 gallon glofish tank. I plan on 4-6glofish tetras and a female betta or three.....too much?

Attachments

• 1416547386609.jpg
    1416547386609.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 44
I am a fan of fishless cycling just because its more humane and sets up a stronger bacterial filtration than crappy fish in cycling which, despite what people say, still harms whatever living thing you choose to put in there during the cycle. Also, who decides which fish are "disposable"? Why are Danios or feeder's lives less important that its okay to subject them to ammonia burning their gills, eyes, and fins?

Dont agree? Well then grab a bottle of Ace Hardware pure ammonia, go into a closet, open up the bottle and sit there a bit. Tell me how comfortable you are in there after say 10 minutes? Ammonia BURNS all living things and imo is not an okay way for another living thing to live. Especially since now, with all we know, its easy to cycle without fish present. It is also important to note that we keep these creatures in tanks, so they cant get out no matter how uncomfortable they get. How awful is that? It would be like you going in the closet with the ammonia, but I lock the door afterwards.

If you do cycle with fish in, you need to test daily. Before I knew all of the stuff I now do on cycling, I did a fish in with a few fish. I tested in the am, then after work. Any ammonia and I changed 50% of the water. It took forever, and I did daily water changes for a month which sucked, but they all lived. I will never do it that way again though.

fish-in cycling done correctly isn't any less humane than fishless. And the bacterial colony is dynamic and adjusts itself based on various factors like space, available nutrients, etc.

The closet analogy doesn't really apply unless you are specifically talking about a closed system that has high levels of ammonia. Very low amounts are not hurting anything.

I have...but does it take into account all the decorations? Its a 10 gallon tank, but it only holds about 7 gallons.

Thought I would include a picture of what it looks like before I put fish in it this weekend. 10 gallon glofish tank. I plan on 4-6glofish tetras and a female betta or three.....too much?

Cool-looking tank!

Your betta(s) will terrorize those tetras, and I'm not sure that you have enough room to do more than one betta. Bettas are usually kept in species-only tanks. Pygymy corys or Kuhli Loaches might work if you change the substrate to sand and give them numerous caves and other hiding spots.

It was my understanding that female bettas were much less aggressive. And that females could easily be kept together

It was my understanding that female bettas were much less aggressive. And that females could easily be kept together

"Myth: Female bettas are peaceful and can always be housed together or in tropical community tanks.
Reality: Many female bettas are equally as aggressive as males - with added speed and mobility due to their short finnage! Sorority tanks are only possible in a well-planted environment under highly specific population and gallonage conditions, and even then injuries and deaths are commonplace. Likewise, female bettas will often attack and injure community fish, especially ones who resemble bettas. Male and female bettas are almost equally solitary; the safest way to keep females, like males, is alone. If you do wish to keep a sorority or community tank with females, you must monitor closely, and read up on setting up such a tank safely."

Betta Care 101 - Myth vs. Reality Page 4

Back
Top Bottom