Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #261
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Irish.OG87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 474
fyi, just checked my records it was yesterday i put a ungodly amount of ammo in me tank, im still really surprised they ate it all

__________________
Irish.OG87 is offline  
Old 04-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #262
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonfood
fyi, just checked my records it was yesterday i put a ungodly amount of ammo in me tank, im still really surprised they ate it all
You're getting close my friend. That makes me almost as happy as watching Real Madrid drop the Copa del Rey off their bus and getting it run over, haha!
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 04-24-2011, 12:23 AM   #263
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Irish.OG87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 474
i topped it back up...kinda more than 4ppm, but im sure it'll be fine since ive almost established my filter with the bacteria
__________________
Irish.OG87 is offline  
Old 04-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #264
Mog
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 66
Okay, so here's my update

I started cycling my 75g tank on the 15th. 15 days later, my tank has cycled! I followed Eco's guide and it worked out great. I was able to pick up some new fish and introduce them to the tank today!

My tank has 10 plants, low light and 2 pieces of DW. I did dose the tank with Flourish once about mid cycle to help the plants a bit. My ph is at 6.8 out of the tap and rather than trying to lower it. I used some crushed up flake food.

When I began my cycle, I went to a LFS who gave me the sponge off of their planted tank. I also bought 3 potted plants from them and left the pot and potting material in the tank. I can express how important (IMHO) it is to get seeding material. I'm still surprised that in 15 days I was able to cycle a 75g tank

I want to say thank you to everyone, especially Eco for his great guide! I'm now sitting here watching my fish happily swim around their new home.

Still have quite a bit to learn, but this guide helped me start the right way.

Happy Easter!
__________________
Mog is offline  
Old 04-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #265
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Congratulations and great job Mog!!! You're the perfect example or how efficient and satisfying fishless cycling can be! If your fish could talk, they'd thank you.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 04-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #266
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 74
Hello,

Im doing my fishless cycle, on day 14 now.
(Day 14 results)
Ammonia 0.50ppm
NitrIte 2.0 - 5.0 ppm (very hard to tell)
NitrAte 40ppm

Says on here that, 'when nitrIte/nitrAte becomes unreadable' then we need to do pwc.

May seem like a stupid questions, but when you mean unreadable, does it mean turning into a colour that doesn't exist on the results sheet?

Many thanks,
__________________
Kawaipoon is offline  
Old 04-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #267
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bettababe1011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ames, IA
Posts: 5,450
Yes, when it tops out, and you can't tell what reading it's supposed to be, do a PWC.
__________________
Fish are friends, not food!
-Dakota
Bettababe1011 is offline  
Old 04-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #268
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaipoon
Hello,

Im doing my fishless cycle, on day 14 now.
(Day 14 results)
Ammonia 0.50ppm
NitrIte 2.0 - 5.0 ppm (very hard to tell)
NitrAte 40ppm

Says on here that, 'when nitrIte/nitrAte becomes unreadable' then we need to do pwc.

May seem like a stupid questions, but when you mean unreadable, does it mean turning into a colour that doesn't exist on the results sheet?

Many thanks,
Hi Kawaipoon, is the .5 ammo reading from 24 hours after dosing it up to 4ppm? If you're pretty sure the nitrIte level is around 5 or above, you can go ahead and do your 50% mid-cycle pwc. Just make sure you use your dechlorinator and match temps. If you're not sure that the levels have maxed out yet, you can either wait a few days until they have, or go ahead and do the pwc now. The reason we do the water change at this point is just to restore nutrients to the water to prevent the cycle from stalling. If you do the pwc too early...it won't cause any damage, it's just not necessary, and may require you to perform another if the levels rocket back up and off the charts high.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 04-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #269
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 74
Quote:
Hi Kawaipoon, is the .5 ammo reading from 24 hours after dosing it up to 4ppm? If you're pretty sure the nitrIte level is around 5 or above, you can go ahead and do your 50% mid-cycle pwc. Just make sure you use your dechlorinator and match temps. If you're not sure that the levels have maxed out yet, you can either wait a few days until they have, or go ahead and do the pwc now. The reason we do the water change at this point is just to restore nutrients to the water to prevent the cycle from stalling. If you do the pwc too early...it won't cause any damage, it's just not necessary, and may require you to perform another if the levels rocket back up and off the charts high.
Hi Eco,

Yeah, I keep it dosed to around 3-4ppm everyday, my result tested .5 ppm for Ammo (24hrs later).

Just another questions, when checking the results; Do I put tubes against the white part (next to the colours) or hold in the air and try and match? if that makes sense? Because the colour seems darker against the white part.

Thanks,
__________________
Kawaipoon is offline  
Old 04-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #270
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaipoon

Hi Eco,

Yeah, I keep it dosed to around 3-4ppm everyday, my result tested .5 ppm for Ammo (24hrs later).

Just another questions, when checking the results; Do I put tubes against the white part (next to the colours) or hold in the air and try and match? if that makes sense? Because the colour seems darker against the white part.

Thanks,
Ah, the eternal question. Seems like the answer is if you want it to be darker, hold it against the card, if you hope it's lighter...hold it up away from it, lol. Honestly, I hold mine either in front of a white wall in a room with good lighting, or up to a window and compare it with outside as a background. At this point, the exact numbers aren't all that important, you just want an idea of what they are. Once cycled, it is both more important and easier to read the results. when you're done, you want ammo to be yellow, and nitrItes baby blue. But for now, just a general idea is fine.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 04-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #271
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 74
Quote:
Ah, the eternal question. Seems like the answer is if you want it to be darker, hold it against the card, if you hope it's lighter...hold it up away from it, lol. Honestly, I hold mine either in front of a white wall in a room with good lighting, or up to a window and compare it with outside as a background. At this point, the exact numbers aren't all that important, you just want an idea of what they are. Once cycled, it is both more important and easier to read the results. when you're done, you want ammo to be yellow, and nitrItes baby blue. But for now, just a general idea is fine.
haha that's exactly right lol. I shall see what the levels are tomorrow and do a pwc if levels are extremely high.

Many thanks for both your help
__________________
Kawaipoon is offline  
Old 04-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #272
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 64
This is my first official post on this board after my introduction post. I must say that the OP was the most informative post I have ever read on the fishless cycle. I previously belonged to another forum, and while there was information, there was nothing comparative to this thread. I run my own website/forum of a gardening nature and if this were my board, I would sticky this thread in a heartbeat. The OP was the reason I decided to join here. Great job!
__________________
JBsDad is offline  
Old 04-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #273
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Deckape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsDad
This is my first official post on this board after my introduction post. I must say that the OP was the most informative post I have ever read on the fishless cycle. I previously belonged to another forum, and while there was information, there was nothing comparative to this thread. I run my own website/forum of a gardening nature and if this were my board, I would sticky this thread in a heartbeat. The OP was the reason I decided to join here. Great job!
Eco put much work in to that. He is a good guy.
Welcome,
Wayne
__________________
Smile, it makes folks think that you're up to something.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1456422
Deckape is offline  
Old 04-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #274
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsDad
This is my first official post on this board after my introduction post. I must say that the OP was the most informative post I have ever read on the fishless cycle. I previously belonged to another forum, and while there was information, there was nothing comparative to this thread. I run my own website/forum of a gardening nature and if this were my board, I would sticky this thread in a heartbeat. The OP was the reason I decided to join here. Great job!
Thank you so much for the fantastic compliment. It's good to know there are so many people out there who understand the importance and seek out the best information to safely prep their aquarium for fish.

Unfortunately, I have been informed this thread will not become a sticky because the site is trying to transition to article based info instead of stickys. Hopefully, with the help of people like you, we can link as many people as possible to info like mine and keep as many fish swimming (instead of floating) as possible. Thanks!
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 04-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #275
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rainy, rainy Pacific Northwest
Posts: 213
Send a message via MSN to nohika
I've started testing my (fish-less) tank and hope to get some ammonia today. Thank you so much for your guide and your willingness to answer questions!
__________________
nohika is offline  
Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #276
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohika
I've started testing my (fish-less) tank and hope to get some ammonia today. Thank you so much for your guide and your willingness to answer questions!
Thanks for doing a fishless cycle. I'm happy to answer questions...I'm so addicted to this site that I don't really have a choice at this point, lol. Plus, thanks to the combination of this handy little app mixed with insomnia, I'm informed of questions at all hours, haha.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 04-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #277
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsDad
This is my first official post on this board after my introduction post. I must say that the OP was the most informative post I have ever read on the fishless cycle. I previously belonged to another forum, and while there was information, there was nothing comparative to this thread. I run my own website/forum of a gardening nature and if this were my board, I would sticky this thread in a heartbeat. The OP was the reason I decided to join here. Great job!
What's the name of your gardening forum? My wife might become as obsessed with that one as we all are here.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #278
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
Thank you so much for the fantastic compliment. It's good to know there are so many people out there who understand the importance and seek out the best information to safely prep their aquarium for fish.

Unfortunately, I have been informed this thread will not become a sticky because the site is trying to transition to article based info instead of stickys. Hopefully, with the help of people like you, we can link as many people as possible to info like mine and keep as many fish swimming (instead of floating) as possible. Thanks!
I can understand that. Too many stickies become cumbersome and unread. Perhaps in the future the staff will create a sticky containing links to all informative articles/threads such as this one so new members like myself can find them easily. Most new members will not check the "Articles" link for information. They will have to be directed to it. Nice work though
__________________
JBsDad is offline  
Old 04-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #279
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rainy, rainy Pacific Northwest
Posts: 213
Send a message via MSN to nohika
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
Thanks for doing a fishless cycle. I'm happy to answer questions...I'm so addicted to this site that I don't really have a choice at this point, lol. Plus, thanks to the combination of this handy little app mixed with insomnia, I'm informed of questions at all hours, haha.
It wasn't totally intended...and technically I'm cycling two tanks at once - one fishless, one not. Fighting resistance every likkle step of the way.
__________________
nohika is offline  
Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #280
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 64
I think if you click my name, then click JBsDad Homepage it will take you there. I don't know how the Mods would react if I posted my page openly, even though it isn't in competition with this site. Look for the forums on the left hand side. It's a very small site and mostly family and close friends, but open to the public.
__________________
JBsDad is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
cycling, fishless, fishless cycling, guide

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fishless Cycle Complete so soon? GouramiFanatic Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 11 12-23-2008 08:05 PM
Fishless Cycle complete!!!!! EmptyH Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds 6 03-25-2006 06:30 PM
Complete buyers guide for freshwater aquarium by YOU manooosie Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 18 08-15-2005 10:56 AM
Question about the guide for the fishless cycle Mananhammer Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 1 06-29-2005 09:48 PM
Fishless cycle complete! russrimm Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 5 08-29-2004 11:07 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.