Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #381
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by shammond15731
Ok we have well water so no chlorine worries. I wasn't for sure but I didn't think the bacteria was in the water just on the surfaces but I wanted to check before I went all the way and screwed something up. Thank you for such a quick reply btw!!
No problem! Thanks to this handy little app, it seems like I'm on here 24/7, lol.

__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #382
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
shammond15731's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 133
My ammonia dropped to 1ppm today so I dosed it back up to 4ppm I also checked my nitrites which turned up 0ppm I sure was hoping to see at least a trace of nitrites lol! I am being way too impatient since I just started this tank on Saturday lol. Should the nitrites start showing up soon since the ammonia started to go down? Also should I keep the ammonia at 4ppm daily or should I let it drop to 1ppm again before I dose it up again?
__________________
Stacy
shammond15731 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #383
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Irish.OG87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by shammond15731 View Post
My ammonia dropped to 1ppm today so I dosed it back up to 4ppm I also checked my nitrites which turned up 0ppm I sure was hoping to see at least a trace of nitrites lol! I am being way too impatient since I just started this tank on Saturday lol. Should the nitrites start showing up soon since the ammonia started to go down? Also should I keep the ammonia at 4ppm daily or should I let it drop to 1ppm again before I dose it up again?
it sometimes can take awhile for nitrites to start showing up.
Everytime it drops just top it back up to 4ppm, then one morning u go to test since the night before u topped ammo up u will go back and its zero ammo and zero nitrites and a ungodly amount of nitrates, which means ur almost done. Thats when u need to do ur 90% pwc to bring the nitrates down to a readbale lvl, top ammo up once more and after 24hrs if it comes up zero ammo and nitrites, then start adding fishies.
__________________
Irish.OG87 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #384
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
shammond15731's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 133
Will do! I just didn't want to do anything to stall things since I have a 13 year old here who is very eagerly waiting to get the "perfect betta" to put in the tank.
__________________
Stacy
shammond15731 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #385
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by shammond15731
My ammonia dropped to 1ppm today so I dosed it back up to 4ppm I also checked my nitrites which turned up 0ppm I sure was hoping to see at least a trace of nitrites lol! I am being way too impatient since I just started this tank on Saturday lol. Should the nitrites start showing up soon since the ammonia started to go down? Also should I keep the ammonia at 4ppm daily or should I let it drop to 1ppm again before I dose it up again?
That's awesome! A 3ppm drop in 3 days?! You must have some great seeding material. Pigeonfood is right on, just dose it back up to 4ppm every 24 hours. You'll start seeing nitrItes real soon.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #386
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Pigeonfood! Give me good news! I'm afraid you would have already PM'd me if you were excited about something.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #387
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Irish.OG87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
Pigeonfood! Give me good news! I'm afraid you would have already PM'd me if you were excited about something.
exactly, i wish i did have good news bro..but unfortunely i dont, not rigth now i dont . Tis morning i checked all my lvls. pH: 7.4ish, ammo: 0, no2: sigh...5, no3: 20. Im starting to really dislike the color lavender/purple lol. I know there is something there Im either missing or have done to prolong this cycle, its startin to annoy me a little.
__________________
Irish.OG87 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #388
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Irish.OG87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonfood View Post
exactly, i wish i did have good news bro..but unfortunely i dont, not rigth now i dont . Tis morning i checked all my lvls. pH: 7.4ish, ammo: 0, no2: sigh...5, no3: 20. Im starting to really dislike the color lavender/purple lol. I know there is something there Im either missing or have done to prolong this cycle, its startin to annoy me a little.
Im on the verge of doing a 90% pwc and seeing if this will correct anything, cos its been 4 days and nothing has changed. im gonna cry
__________________
Irish.OG87 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #389
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonfood

Im on the verge of doing a 90% pwc and seeing if this will correct anything, cos its been 4 days and nothing has changed. im gonna cry
It won't hurt. Just add the dechlorinator as always. Make sure you add the ammo every day in the mean time.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #390
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Something went wrong for it to have reverted after the cycle finished. My $ is on a pH crash.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #391
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Irish.OG87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
It won't hurt. Just add the dechlorinator as always. Make sure you add the ammo every day in the mean time.
ok im doing it when i get off work, ye ive been adding 2ppm of ammo everyday since. Idk if this matters probably not but im using tetra aquasafe water conditioner in my pwc, tats ok right? I mean not using the wrong stuff am i? stupid question but im still lost on how my cycle went from fishies friday to fishies when?
__________________
Irish.OG87 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #392
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Irish.OG87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
Something went wrong for it to have reverted after the cycle finished. My $ is on a pH crash.
if it really was a pH crash, wud there of been anythin I cud of done??
__________________
Irish.OG87 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #393
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonfood

if it really was a pH crash, wud there of been anythin I cud of done??
The conditioner is fine. The mid-cycle pwc was supposed to prevent it...you did that right? That's what makes my guide a bit different because the pwc is not normally included in others and it happens quite often without it.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #394
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Hang on... Was it AquaSafe plus or just regular?
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #395
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23
Hang on... Was it AquaSafe plus or just regular?
Never mind, I think they discontinued the regular one that didn't dechlorinate.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #396
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Irish.OG87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
Hang on... Was it AquaSafe plus or just regular?
Its AquaSafe w/bio-extracts, didnt know if it mattered. Cos i know eveyone else used Prime and they didnt have a problem, was just curious.
__________________
Irish.OG87 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #397
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Irish.OG87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
The conditioner is fine. The mid-cycle pwc was supposed to prevent it...you did that right? That's what makes my guide a bit different because the pwc is not normally included in others and it happens quite often without it.
I did my 50 pwc last thursday and the next day I did my 90% pwc.
__________________
Irish.OG87 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #398
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonfood

Its AquaSafe w/bio-extracts, didnt know if it mattered. Cos i know eveyone else used Prime and they didnt have a problem, was just curious.
Should be fine, when I googled it I saw it as more of a bacteria booster...but further review showed they updated it to also remove chlorine...hopefully you didn't get one that'd been on the shelf for years, lol.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #399
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonfood

I did my 50 pwc last thursday and the next day I did my 90% pwc.
So.....the "mid-cycle" pwc was the day before your cycle supposedly finished? Had you done one before that? In other words, the levels were all screaming high, so you did the 50% pwc, dosed it back up to 4ppm and the next day the cycle finished?
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #400
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Irish.OG87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
So.....the "mid-cycle" pwc was the day before your cycle supposedly finished? Had you done one before that? In other words, the levels were all screaming high, so you did the 50% pwc, dosed it back up to 4ppm and the next day the cycle finished?
Reason i did my 50% pwc was becuase my nitrates were through the roof and wanted to bring them down to a radbale lvl, topped it back to 4ppm and the next day voila zero ammo and no2 and still high no3.......o my lord what have i done!!!!!!
__________________
Irish.OG87 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
cycling, fishless, fishless cycling, guide

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fishless Cycle Complete so soon? GouramiFanatic Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 11 12-23-2008 08:05 PM
Fishless Cycle complete!!!!! EmptyH Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds 6 03-25-2006 06:30 PM
Complete buyers guide for freshwater aquarium by YOU manooosie Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 18 08-15-2005 10:56 AM
Question about the guide for the fishless cycle Mananhammer Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 1 06-29-2005 09:48 PM
Fishless cycle complete! russrimm Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 5 08-29-2004 11:07 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.