The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CaptainMako said:
:x Can I ask some questions about fishless cycling. Sort of in a dilemma but I don't want to talk you guys off a cliff.

The best thing for you to do is read through eco23's fishless cycling thread fount in freshwater general, with that read then start your own thread so we can all speak to your directly as you want the advice :) saves hassle for you that way haha :)

JoeDaniels said:
The best thing for you to do is read through eco23's fishless cycling thread fount in freshwater general, with that read then start your own thread so we can all speak to your directly as you want the advice :) saves hassle for you that way haha :)

We got her taken care of. :). And my thread is actually in the getting started forum, lol.

Hello again.
Went to Petco and purchased the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, Prime and Melafix. I will be keeping track of the cycling in a journal that I will link to you guys, but I have some questions first.

So I purchased melafix, which treats pop eye amongst other things. I can also use pimafix which treats fungus. My mollies currenty have pop eye, growing fungus and torn up tail fins. Will either of those chemicals effect the bacterial colony? Pimafix is mainly fungus and infections, so it might hurt the bacteria, melafix however can treat small burts of fungus and might not hurt the colony. Should I still dose the tank with these, I see it as necessary.

Both medications recommend that I remove the carbon filter from my filter, will this have any direct effect on the health of my fish or the cycling process?

There might be more, I will just edit this post if I think of something.

CaptainMako said:
Hello again.
Went to Petco and purchased the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, Prime and Melafix. I will be keeping track of the cycling in a journal that I will link to you guys, but I have some questions first.

So I purchased melafix, which treats pop eye amongst other things. I can also use pimafix which treats fungus. My mollies currenty have pop eye, growing fungus and torn up tail fins. Will either of those chemicals effect the bacterial colony? Pimafix is mainly fungus and infections, so it might hurt the bacteria, melafix however can treat small burts of fungus and might not hurt the colony. Should I still dose the tank with these, I see it as necessary.

Both medications recommend that I remove the carbon filter from my filter, will this have any direct effect on the health of my fish or the cycling process?

There might be more, I will just edit this post if I think of something.

Although I have never deeply researched particular medications...I have always had the impression that most will have a negative impact on the beneficial bacteria. However, I would personally treat my fish and try to make them better as my first priority. If it was my tank, I would use the medication to try and save my fish immediately, while at the same time closely monitoring the ammonia levels and performing pwc's as necessary to keep the ammo below .25.

Once my fish had (hopefully) recovered, I would turn my full effort into cycling the tank. Besides, what's the point of hurrying to cycle a tank if the fish that are in it won't live to see it due to illness or infection?

So, I'd go ahead and start the meds, test regularly and do pwc's to keep the ammo from spiking (which it will be more likely to because of the meds), try to heal the fish, then turn your full attention to cycling.

Good luck, you seem like you're really trying hard to be a good fish mom (or dad).

By the way, carbon won't really have much of an impact on cycling (many of us don't use it anyway), and it needs to be removed for the medication to work properly.

I found these tidbits on both of the products from API's website.
Pimafix
"Treats fungal infections and both internal and external bacterial infections. Will not adversely affect the biological filter, alter the pH, or discolor water. Safe for reef aquariums and live plants. For use in fresh or salt water. PimaFix has been formulated to work in combination with Melafix to enhance effectiveness against fish diseases."

Melafix
"Heals open wounds & abrasions, treats fin and tail rot, eye cloud, mouth fungus and promotes regrowth of damaged fin rays & tissue. Will not adversely affect the biological filter, alter the pH, or discolor water. Safe for reef aquariums and live plants. For use in fresh or salt water."

Would you guys trust that? If so, I can remove the carbon (which will help because then no bacteria will be on the carbon and have a drastic loss when I change filters), use both of them together as instructed (putting them in immediatly after any water changes that day so it has time to work) and just carry on with cycling as planned.

CaptainMako said:
I found these tidbits on both of the products from API's website.
Pimafix
"Treats fungal infections and both internal and external bacterial infections. Will not adversely affect the biological filter, alter the pH, or discolor water. Safe for reef aquariums and live plants. For use in fresh or salt water. PimaFix has been formulated to work in combination with Melafix to enhance effectiveness against fish diseases."

Melafix
"Heals open wounds & abrasions, treats fin and tail rot, eye cloud, mouth fungus and promotes regrowth of damaged fin rays & tissue. Will not adversely affect the biological filter, alter the pH, or discolor water. Safe for reef aquariums and live plants. For use in fresh or salt water."

Would you guys trust that? If so, I can remove the carbon (which will help because then no bacteria will be on the carbon and have a drastic loss when I change filters), use both of them together as instructed (putting them in immediatly after any water changes that day so it has time to work) and just carry on with cycling as planned.

I'm really not familiar with medications. I wouldn't necessarily trust everything they advertise though...keep an eye on the water parameters. I'd suggest to remove the carbon during treatment...but not the cartridge. Cut a slit down the side of the cartridge and shake the carbon out into the trash, then stick the empty cartridge back in so you don't lose any bacteria.

CaptainMako said:
Wouldn't it be better to just flat out remove it until treatment is done so I don't have any of the colony grow on it, and then lose it when I have to change cartridges later?
Here's a link by the way, fruit of the all the repetitive questions I have been asking: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/freshwater-cycling-journal-151702.html#post1341931

Then you'd be losing the bacteria that is already on the cartridge which would only compound the problem. The bacteria won't really be on the carbon itself, but it's all over the filter the carbon is inside of. Anything you remove right now that has bacteria on it will only make the ammonia spikes worse. Like I said, cut a slit in the side, shake the carbon into the trash, and put the empty cartridge back in so you don't lose the bacteria that is on it.

All right, I will do that and then go do my first readings.

But what about when I swap carbon filters later on after cycling is finished, won't I lose some bacteria?

CaptainMako said:
All right, I will do that and then go do my first readings.

But what about when I swap carbon filters later on after cycling is finished, won't I lose some bacteria?

There's a way to do that effectively without losing much beneficial bacteria. It's in the guide on the first page about carbon filters and whether you should change them. It should help you understand a little better.

I have seen the rolled up media before, should I get some and insert it into the tank as soon as possible, and take the old cartridge out?
Just waiting for the new test tubes to air dry and then I will begin testing.

CaptainMako said:
I have seen the rolled up media before, should I get some and insert it into the tank as soon as possible, and take the old cartridge out?
Just waiting for the new test tubes to air dry and then I will begin testing.

As I said, cut the carbon out......put the cartridge that the carbon was in back into the filter. And yeah, I'd recommend buying some filter material to stick in next to it.

Pigeonfood, give me good news or I'm driving to Kentucky, or Kansas or wherever you live and throwing your aquarium out the window, lol.

eco23 said:
Pigeonfood, give me good news or I'm driving to Kentucky, or Kansas or wherever you live and throwing your aquarium out the window, lol.

I thought he lived in Ireland?! Am I wrong? Or are you not observant? Lol.

Yes, I would like good news as well.

Bettababe1011 said:
I thought he lived in Ireland?! Am I wrong? Or are you not observant? Lol.

Yes, I would like good news as well.

Lol...he lives in Kansas. Moved here from Ireland. .

eco23 said:
Lol...he lives in Kansas. Moved here from Ireland. .

So I'm the non observant one. Okay. Sorry.

Okay, we should probably get back on topic.

Soon I'll have more questions, probably. I have a 75 gallon that I need to start the cycle on.

Bettababe1011 said:
So I'm the non observant one. Okay. Sorry.

Okay, we should probably get back on topic.

Soon I'll have more questions, probably. I have a 75 gallon that I need to start the cycle on.

Happy to help, but I think you're as much of an expert as me by now. I also might be bad luck. All the people I'm friendliest with on here are the ones who have the slowest darn cycles, lol.

eco23 said:
Happy to help, but I think you're as much of an expert as me by now. I also might be bad luck. All the people I'm friendliest with on here are the ones who have the slowest darn cycles, lol.

Haha it's because they happen to spend the most time chatting to you haha I put it down to the longer they cycle and the less you know the more unfriendly they are haha and to keep it on topic at 9:30 GMT my ammo read 4ppm still so I added I tiny bit of grounded up fish food. The question is should I get up and test it now ( 3:30am GMT) hahaha or would the sleeping beauty next to me have something to say about that hahaha p.s Eco check your PM :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom