Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #881
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Irish.OG87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by royta View Post
What would cause pH to lower from 7.6 to 6.4 over the course of a couple days?

My ammo has been going to zero every 24 hours. My nitrites stay at 5.0. Nitrates seem to go no higher than 20. Then after a little less than a week, my nitrites drop to 2.0 but my ammo only drops from 4.0 to 2.0 over 24 hours. I check pH and it is at 6.0 to 6.4 instead of the normal 7.4-ish. I then did a 90% PWC. I then immediately check nitrates and it had bounced back up to 5.0. That's right, doing a 90% PWC brings nitrites from 0.25 to 5.0. My tap water shoes zero. It's almost like the lowered pH shows a false low nitrite level and restoring the pH and water buffers brought it back up.

It's been 96 hours since the 90% PWC and my parameters are showing the same signs. It was 96 to 120 hours since the last PWC when I saw this happen the first time.

I'm using my phone for this particular message, but I could use the PC and enter my complete diary of water testing if it would help.

Opinions?
pH crash wud be bad news for your cycle, bacteria leashes the buffers from the water which then decreases your pH.
get some CC which will bring up your pH and if all fails, doing a pwc would prevent a pH crash and fix the buffers in the water. If i was you id keep an eye on it.
Some tanks can have a mind of its own....like mine!!!

__________________
Irish.OG87 is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #882
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
With all these pH crashes happening recently (everything happens at once, lol), I'm starting to wish I'd added crushed coral into the guide as an optional tool to ensure a smooth cycle. The 50% pwc I put at the midpoint of the cycle is designed to prevent these crashes...but if people have extremely soft / low alkalinity water, it can definitely cause a stall / revert in your cycle and is worth keeping a very close eye on.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #883
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by royta
What would cause pH to lower from 7.6 to 6.4 over the course of a couple days?

My ammo has been going to zero every 24 hours. My nitrites stay at 5.0. Nitrates seem to go no higher than 20. Then after a little less than a week, my nitrites drop to 2.0 but my ammo only drops from 4.0 to 2.0 over 24 hours. I check pH and it is at 6.0 to 6.4 instead of the normal 7.4-ish. I then did a 90% PWC. I then immediately check nitrates and it had bounced back up to 5.0. That's right, doing a 90% PWC brings nitrites from 0.25 to 5.0. My tap water shoes zero. It's almost like the lowered pH shows a false low nitrite level and restoring the pH and water buffers brought it back up.

It's been 96 hours since the 90% PWC and my parameters are showing the same signs. It was 96 to 120 hours since the last PWC when I saw this happen the first time.

I'm using my phone for this particular message, but I could use the PC and enter my complete diary of water testing if it would help.

Opinions?
I had a ph drop like that when I cycled my tank. And with eco23's help I got it backup to 7.2ish. I think my drop was caused by adding some drift wood. I went back and looked at my notes and figured out that I added about time ph dropped. I got some crushed coral and put some in a mesh bag and put in my filter. It will cloud your water so if you add cc just remember that. After i got ph up my cycle kicked back in and finished in few days. Thanks again eco23 and all for the help on mine.

Cr
__________________
Save your sanity and your fish. Do a fishless cycle. https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Cloudrider is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 09:10 PM   #884
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonfood

pH crash wud be bad news for your cycle, bacteria leashes the buffers from the water which then decreases your pH.
get some CC which will bring up your pH and if all fails, doing a pwc would prevent a pH crash and fix the buffers in the water. If i was you id keep an eye on it.
Some tanks can have a mind of its own....like mine!!!
Look at Liam throwing out the good info! Good job man, I'm glad you hang around here and help out.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #885
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudrider

I had a ph drop like that when I cycled my tank. And with eco23's help I got it backup to 7.2ish. I think my drop was caused by adding some drift wood. I went back and looked at my notes and figured out that I added about time ph dropped. I got some crushed coral and put some in a mesh bag and put in my filter. It will cloud your water so if you add cc just remember that. After i got ph up my cycle kicked back in and finished in few days. Thanks again eco23 and all for the help on mine.

Cr
And Cloudrider throwing out the knowledge! We're starting a movement!
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #886
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 43
Lol. I try and learn so I can pass it on. Btw levels doing great today. Lost few fish this week. 2 angels and 3zebra danios. All others doing great.

Cr
__________________
Save your sanity and your fish. Do a fishless cycle. https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Cloudrider is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #887
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudrider
Lol. I try and learn so I can pass it on. Btw levels doing great today. Lost few fish this week. 2 angels and 3zebra danios. All others doing great.

Cr
I remember you had a problem with one of the angels...sorry about the others :-(. I assume your parameters are holding strong? Did you check out Severum Mama's stock list I mentioned?
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #888
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 43
Yes levels are doing great. Did a pwc yesterday just to make sure. I've been reading some and it looks like several had problems with angels lately. Needless to say I didn't replace the angels with angels. I put a dwarf gourami in there. It's doing great as well. I did look at there fish sale. Looks like I may be adding more fish. Lol

Cr
__________________
Save your sanity and your fish. Do a fishless cycle. https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Cloudrider is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #889
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 103
Thanks folks. I'll need to do a PWC tomorrow and add crushed coral tomorrow. I'll dose the ammo back up but I'll also need to put a raw shrimp in a mesh bag to maintain the ammo level. I'll be away from the tank for about five days and will be unable test and dose back up.

Ok, local petsmart has some crushed coral. I'll pick it up tonight and put it in the filter and check pH in the morning. Hopefully I can avoid a PWC.

How much should I add? Is there a chance of the pH level rising too high while I'm gone?
__________________
royta is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #890
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
shammond15731's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 133
Just checked levels on my daughters tank ammo 0 no2 0 no3 40. Not sure if this is cycled or what since I never saw the spike of no2. I did have an amazing old filter I used for seeding, but I don't want to put fish in if this isn't really cycled. What do u think?
__________________
Stacy
shammond15731 is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #891
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by shammond15731
Just checked levels on my daughters tank ammo 0 no2 0 no3 40. Not sure if this is cycled or what since I never saw the spike of no2. I did have an amazing old filter I used for seeding, but I don't want to put fish in if this isn't really cycled. What do u think?
Sounds cycled . Remind me what type of ammo source you were using...pure ammo, shrimp? If it's pure ammo, dose it up to 3-4ppm and if it drops to 0 ammo and 0 no2. If so...cycled!!! In that case just do your big pwc to drop the nitrAtes and add fish!
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #892
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by royta
Thanks folks. I'll need to do a PWC tomorrow and add crushed coral tomorrow. I'll dose the ammo back up but I'll also need to put a raw shrimp in a mesh bag to maintain the ammo level. I'll be away from the tank for about five days and will be unable test and dose back up.

Ok, local petsmart has some crushed coral. I'll pick it up tonight and put it in the filter and check pH in the morning. Hopefully I can avoid a PWC.

How much should I add? Is there a chance of the pH level rising too high while I'm gone?
Just a good handful will work. Pick up some mesh bags while you're there. Also make sure you rinse it real good before adding it so it doesn't cloud up too bad. The CC will only buffer to a certain point and stop...it won't raise your pH too high...it'll work great. My money would be on you being finished when you get back or right after
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #893
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
shammond15731's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23

Sounds cycled . Remind me what type of ammo source you were using...pure ammo, shrimp? If it's pure ammo, dose it up to 3-4ppm and if it drops to 0 ammo and 0 no2. If so...cycled!!! In that case just do your big pwc to drop the nitrAtes and add fish!
Yes pure ammonia.
__________________
Stacy
shammond15731 is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #894
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23

Just a good handful will work. Pick up some mesh bags while you're there. Also make sure you rinse it real good before adding it so it doesn't cloud up too bad. The CC will only buffer to a certain point and stop...it won't raise your pH too high...it'll work great. My money would be on you being finished when you get back or right after
Great! I'll look for a pH increase in the morning. I'll do a PWC if I don't see a pH increase by noon.
__________________
royta is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #895
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by royta

Great! I'll look for a pH increase in the morning. Ill do a PWC if I don't see a pH increase by noon.
It'll increase on it's own in about 5 minutes, lol. . Keep us posted!
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #896
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 103
Hwy big of a raw shrimp do I need? I bought a bag of the 31 - 40 shrimp per pound size.
__________________
royta is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #897
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by royta
Hwy big of a raw shrimp do I need? I bought a bag of the 31 - 40 shrimp per pound size.
I'd say 2-3 for the tank, 37-38 for dinner, lol. Actually I don't know...I've never used shrimp.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #898
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23

It'll increase on it's own in about 5 minutes, lol. . Keep us posted!
Awesome! Before or after filter?
__________________
royta is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #899
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by royta

Awesome! Before or after filter?
Where to put it? When I had an HOB filter I just threw it in there with the media. Just don't spread it over the substrate...it'll be cloudy and you'll never get it out.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #900
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Irish.OG87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
I'd say 2-3 for the tank, 37-38 for dinner, lol. Actually I don't know...I've never used shrimp.
mmmmm....shrimp n beer mmmmm

just curious, but if u never did a pwc doing cycle and taking into consideration water had a high pH reading.....wud my NO2 and NO3 gradually go down after spiking? just wondered.
__________________
Irish.OG87 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
cycling, fishless, fishless cycling, guide

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fishless Cycle Complete so soon? GouramiFanatic Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 11 12-23-2008 08:05 PM
Fishless Cycle complete!!!!! EmptyH Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds 6 03-25-2006 06:30 PM
Complete buyers guide for freshwater aquarium by YOU manooosie Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 18 08-15-2005 10:56 AM
Question about the guide for the fishless cycle Mananhammer Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 1 06-29-2005 09:48 PM
Fishless cycle complete! russrimm Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 5 08-29-2004 11:07 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.