The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm an addict :lol:, I did a 90% PWC, here are my readings now

.25ppm Ammo
2 to 5ppm Nitrite
20 to 30ppm Nitrates
PH 7.6

If I dose to 1ppm with ammo and wait 24 hours I know that it will chew through the 1ppm ammo well before the 24 hour mark, do I just wait 24 hours even though the ammo might be 0 before the time is up to dose again?

.25ppm Ammo
2 to 5ppm Nitrite
20 to 30ppm Nitrates
PH 7.6

If I dose to 1ppm with ammo and wait 24 hours I know that it will chew through the 1ppm ammo well before the 24 hour mark, do I just wait 24 hours even though the ammo might be 0 before the time is up to dose again?

Yes, from what I've read you should only add ammonia every 24 hours, even if you test earlier and it's at zero, but wait for Eco to confirm.

Congrats on your cycle! Seems like everyone is finishing or progressing with their cycles but me lol

FishShack said:

.25ppm Ammo
2 to 5ppm Nitrite
20 to 30ppm Nitrates
PH 7.6

Yep, just every 24 hours...it won't starve. We're only going to give it a 3 day rest before bumping it back up to 4ppm. Hopefully we'll see the nitrItes dropping on their own by then :)

Hi, I'm new to the forum, currently fishless cycling a 20 gallon for a goldfish or two.
I'm on day 9 (if I am counting right, started it last Thursday I think).
I started out and put in way too much ammonia, so I had to change out a lot of water to bring it down. Another forum told me I should bring it down to 2, and I brought it down to something between 2-4. It looked like those were getting lighter daily, but not too much. I added in some more water last night because mine was getting low, which brought it down a little bit (probably 3-4 gallons, it was a 5 gallon bucket not completely filled). This morning it looked like 1. It also looks like I now have a bit of nitrite. The tube is definitely not the blue nothing color, it looks bluish-purple, but I don't think it looks exactly like any of the colors. Closest to .5 though I would say. However, I have the little seachem stickup ammonia thing on my tank, and that appears to have changed to green from solid blue. Obviously, if the 1 is correct, my ammonia should be off the chart. One of the two is not accurate. How can I tell if my test kit is expired?
Other info- I got a piece of wood and two little plants out of a tank at petco, might have brought in some bacteria, but it sat with no ammonia for 4 or 5 days. I also put in a few java ferns last night, 6 or so, but I don't think 6 newly planted java ferns are eating things up in there. I've got the temp at about 85. Let me know if there is any other info I should provide.

Hi, I'm new to the forum, currently fishless cycling a 20 gallon for a goldfish or two.
I started out and put in way too much ammonia, so I had to change out a lot of water to bring it down. Another forum told me I should bring it down to 2, and I brought it down to something between 2-4. It looked like those were getting lighter daily, but not too much. I added in some more water last night because mine was getting low, which brought it down a little bit (probably 3-4 gallons, it was a 5 gallon bucket not completely filled). This morning it looked like 1. It also looks like I now have a bit of nitrite. The tube is definitely not the blue nothing color, it looks bluish-purple, but I don't think it looks exactly like any of the colors. Closest to .5 though I would say. However, I have the little seachem stickup ammonia thing on my tank, and that appears to have changed to green from solid blue. Obviously, if the 1 is correct, my ammonia should be off the chart. One of the two is not accurate. How can I tell if my test kit is expired?
Other info- I got a piece of wood and two little plants out of a tank at petco, might have brought in some bacteria, but it sat with no ammonia for 4 or 5 days. I also put in a few java ferns last night, 6 or so, but I don't think 6 newly planted java ferns are eating things up in there. I've got the temp at about 85. Let me know if there is any other info I should provide.

Hi and welcome to AA! Thanks for doing a fishless cycle (I'm currently doing my first one as well). Are you using the API liquid test kit? If you are, I would believe that as more accurate than the stickups. Your test kit bottles should also have some numbers on them, look at the last 4 numbers and that will tell you the date it was manufactured (one of mine says 1010, so that would be October 2010); I believe they are good for 2-3 years from that date, depending on the test. I wouldn't rely on the stickup at all.

What brand of ammonia are you using? Make sure it's pure ammonia without surfectants, dyes, perfumes.

With some nitrite already and drops in ammonia it seems like you are starting to move your cycle along (the plants, etc from the fish tank probably helped). If your ammonia is still at 1 you could redose up to 3-4 again.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will come along and give you some advice as well; you may want to post your own thread in this forum too. Eco23 is the fishless cycle guru, I'm sure he'll chime in and help too. Good luck!

griffinej5 said:

Welcome to the site :). We're glad you found us and are doing a fishless cycle.

Libraygirl had some fantastic questions and advice. If you do have an API Master Test Kit, that is the reading I would trust and mostly disregard the sticker. If it is anything other than API, it's definitely worth making the investment.

One of the most important things with your particular cycle is going to be the ammonia level. Goldfish are notoriously dirty and ammonia producing fish...they will test your bio-filter to the limits. I would insure you dose your ammo up to 4ppm every 24 hours every single time it drops. it may also be worth reconsidering tank size or occupants. The normal recommended tank sized for goldfish is 20 gallons for the first fish, and 10-15 gallons for every one after. Having 2 in a 20 gallon can be done...it's just not ideal and requires heavy maintenance and being certain you have established a strong bio-filter (which you're going to build with your fishless cycle!)

If the items stayed wet, it's possible there was some beneficial bacteria remaining on them. I've never seen conclusive proof, but I tend to believe around a week is the time it survives.

Plants will consume ammo, but the tank would have to be very heavily planted to have any significant impact on your cycle.

If you're seeing hints of nitrItes already, that's great news! :). Just keep dosing the ammonia up to 4ppm every 24 hours whenever it drops and we should see the no2 continue to rise.

ECO, Ok, I just tested the readings again at 2:30pm today,

0 ppm Ammo
0 ppm Nitrite
20 to 30ppm Nitrates
PH 7.6

I am going to dose back up to 4ppm and do the within 24 hour test, agree?
Then if they disappear before the 24 hours do a 90% PWC, set the temp down to 78 and then the next day add the fish?

FishShack said:
ECO, Ok, I just tested the readings again at 2:30pm today,

0 ppm Ammo
0 ppm Nitrite
20 to 30ppm Nitrates
PH 7.6

I am going to dose back up to 4ppm and do the within 24 hour test, agree?
Then if they disappear before the 24 hours do a 90% PWC, set the temp down to 78 and then the next day add the fish?

Yay :). It looks like you may be done, but let's not jump the gun yet. You just did the massive pwc, so we can't be certain for a bit.

I'd absolutely do the 4ppm down to zero with zero no2 test...but even if it zeros out by tomorrow, I'd recommend doing the test a couple more times to be 100% certain you're ready to go.

You're so close that if you look hard enough you can picture fish swimming in there :)

eco23 said:
Yay :). It looks like you may be done, but let's not jump the gun yet. You just did the massive pwc, so we can't be certain for a bit.

I'd absolutely do the 4ppm down to zero with zero no2 test...but even if it zeros out by tomorrow, I'd recommend doing the test a couple more times to be 100% certain you're ready to go.

You're so close that if you look hard enough you can picture fish swimming in there :)

I agree, its better to be sure. It wont be long before your favorite TV channel is your aquarium! Keep up the great work.

Thanks... trying to answer everything.

I'm using ammonia from Ace. I hunted through 5 stores to find ammonia with no surfactant, so that's why it sat from Sunday to Thursday before I put any ammonia in it.
The 2 little plants from Petco probably weren't doing too much. The established leaves have all died off now, but there are a few new little growths.
Everything has definitely changed since this morning. I just tested. Ammonia looks like it is about 1 (I have such a hard time matching that stuff up.) Nitrite is definitely purple now, and not bluish-purple. It's a perfect match now (to my eyes) with .5, and I've got a very dark yellow now for nitrates. I just added a bit of ammonia, and I'll check what that's at when I get back in a few hours.
I am going to go with the smallest possible goldfish. If all goes well in life, I'll be done grad school in 6 weeks, I'll get my certification, get the promotions I can get with that, and be able to move out of my parents place within the year. Then the fish will get a bigger place. If not, I'll clean up the shelf in my room, and get them something bigger that way. I'm thinking I may also throw another filter on this tank, because I did not know when I started it that I should go over what it is rated for.

griffinej5 said:

I'm using ammonia from Ace. I hunted through 5 stores to find ammonia with no surfactant, so that's why it sat from Sunday to Thursday before I put any ammonia in it.
The 2 little plants from Petco probably weren't doing too much. The established leaves have all died off now, but there are a few new little growths.
Everything has definitely changed since this morning. I just tested. Ammonia looks like it is about 1 (I have such a hard time matching that stuff up.) Nitrite is definitely purple now, and not bluish-purple. It's a perfect match now (to my eyes) with .5, and I've got a very dark yellow now for nitrates. I just added a bit of ammonia, and I'll check what that's at when I get back in a few hours.
I am going to go with the smallest possible goldfish. If all goes well in life, I'll be done grad school in 6 weeks, I'll get my certification, get the promotions I can get with that, and be able to move out of my parents place within the year. Then the fish will get a bigger place. If not, I'll clean up the shelf in my room, and get them something bigger that way. I'm thinking I may also throw another filter on this tank, because I did not know when I started it that I should go over what it is rated for.

Sounds great. You may have gotten some beneficial bacteria from those plants regardless. You can't go wrong with adding filtration.

griffinej5 said:

Agreed, you seem to have everything in order :). Just keep dosing up to 4ppm every 24 hours and things will keep flying along.

Added filtration is always a good idea...especially when goldfish are involved. I think most of us shoot for double the filtration (I run a Fluval 405 canister filter rated for 100 gallons on my 46 gallon tank). But any added filtration will help with both your cycle and your fish. A respected brand of HOB filters is Aquaclear. My buddy Deckape can tell you about AQ's.

Hay Eco / Deckape hi ya both hope things are all good with you guys
things not so good here lost three fish in two weeks 1 pleco ( gold nugget ) gutted cost me £30 and two cichlids pissed right now as to why this has happened

cichlidpaul said:
Hay Eco / Deckape hi ya both hope things are all good with you guys
things not so good here lost three fish in two weeks 1 pleco ( gold nugget ) gutted cost me £30 and two cichlids pissed right now as to why this has happened

Sorry to hear that brother :-(. Things good with your water parameters?

Ye my mate all good on that front ammo 0 nitrite 0.1/0.2 at most nitrate a bit high but doing water changes to no joy !!!! if you remember i had probs getting that down befor

cichlidpaul said:
Ye my mate all good on that front ammo 0 nitrite 0.1/0.2 at most nitrate a bit high but doing water changes to no joy !!!! if you remember i had probs getting that down befor

The nitrAte shouldn't be a big problem unless it's really high. Only thing you can do is daily water changes for a while or add a bunch of plants (hopefully ones Cichlids don't like the taste of) to get them down.

The no2 being up concerns me a tad, make sure it stays below .25 by doing water changes. The Plecos have a huge bio-load, and since you added a bunch of fish...the bio-filter might just be settling in...but I'm pretty certain the no2 and no3 aren't the issue, unless the nitrAtes are through the roof.

As I'm sure you know, the first time you stock is always the riskiest since you're adding so many fish at once. You're almost certain to have a bad apple or two.

It's also worth considering drip acclimating if you're not already doing that when you move them into the tank.

Sorry to hear it bro, once you get everyone moved in and stable...I'm sure you'll have years and years with them to enjoy :)

The pleco i can understand as i have done research on them and it seems they get treated pretty bad and its pot luck with them
as for the cichlids well im at a loss as i found one flotting half eaten mmmmmm

I've gotta run out for a bit (my lady is dragging me out for last minute 4th of July stuff), but in case you're not too familiar with drip acclimating...here's how I do it-

- Float bag (the one the fish are in, lol) for ~15 mins to match temperature (probably unnecessary)

- Place fish and bag water in a clean pitcher (also inside bucket to catch overflow)

- Use a piece of air line tubing and start a siphon from your tank into the pitcher (just suck on the end), then tie a couple knots in the tube limiting water flow so there's a slow but steady drip, drip, drip

- Go watch TV for a while

- Let the pitcher fill, dump out half the water than repeat

- More TV

- Once the pitcher fills the second time, I net the fish (pitcher comes in handy) and place him in the tank. Don't let the store water get into your tank!

I don't normally concern myself too much with the temp, but if it's going to be a long acclimation it's not a bad idea to match them. One idea I heard was to clip the bag they are in to the side of the bucket and acclimate them in there instead of the pitcher. You can just let the water that spills out of the bag overflow into the bucket, then float the bag once it's done.

That idea scares me a bit though if the fish decides to swim out the top of the bag once it's full. Another way would be to pour the fish out of the pitcher and back into a bag to float on top of the tank for a while before introducing them.

I really don't have a perfect solution, but personally I've just used the steps I listed above and have never had problems. I'd say that as long as the temps are similar to the touch...they'll be fine

All the other fish i have are doing fine apart from one my red peacock hes a bit slow and i dont ever see him eating but saying that hes still chasing other fish away so thats good for a cichlid

cichlidpaul said:
All the other fish i have are doing fine apart from one my red peacock hes a bit slow and i dont ever see him eating but saying that hes still chasing other fish away so thats good for a cichlid

Where are your nitrAtes at? Fish can survive highish levels...but keeping it below 40 is considered pretty important to their long term health. Maybe get a few of your buddies over and have them form a chain line with some buckets and get a bunch of fresh water in there. Throw em a couple of Guiness for their troubles. :)

*I've gotta run bro, I'll check back in with you guys in a bit :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom