The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cichlidpaul said:
Hay Eco / Deckape hi ya both hope things are all good with you guys
things not so good here lost three fish in two weeks 1 pleco ( gold nugget ) gutted cost me £30 and two cichlids pissed right now as to why this has happened

What are your readings Paul? Have you saw any ich? Sorry Mate

cichlidpaul said:
lol its getting the water to the right temp first before adding it to the tank

I am here, post your test readings when you can.

cichlidpaul said:
Deck you saying that it seems a few are flicking why

Do they have stuff on them that looks like they have been making biscuits? ( Flour). Ich is parasites that can kill fish. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but if the test results are satisfactory, that would've been my next question.

cichlidpaul said:
Without testing tonight i can tell you what they are ammo 0 , nitrite 0.10 , nitrate 30/40

Is it too late to test again?

It wouldn't hurt Paul. It will help rule out some things at least.

cichlidpaul said:
Ok test is as follows
ammo 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 40/50
how can you tell ich mate

Ich looks like white speck of paint or flour all over them. Also when you get a chance to see any one poop, see.if it looks normal and not white. That means intestinal parasites. Your nitrates are a little high but doubt that is the cause. I know little about cichlids Paul. You may want to start a new thread in the sick fish forum. I am sorry though mate.

Agreed, you seem to have everything in order :). Just keep dosing up to 4ppm every 24 hours and things will keep flying along.

Added filtration is always a good idea...especially when goldfish are involved. I think most of us shoot for double the filtration (I run a Fluval 405 canister filter rated for 100 gallons on my 46 gallon tank). But any added filtration will help with both your cycle and your fish. A respected brand of HOB filters is Aquaclear. My buddy Deckape can tell you about AQ's.

I went ahead and added second filter since Petsmart has a sale on right now. I went with a Marina s20, because I needed something smaller. I have a marineland (I think biowheel) that came with the tank. I can't get it behind the tank where it is set up, so it's running on the side. Next time around, I'll hopefully have space behind my tank a bit more, and put an Aquaclear on it. I cut some AQ sponges to fit, and put in Api Biochem Stars in there instead of what it came with, which I assume I shouldn't even bother with (2 carbons and 2 of something else meant to remove ammonia). Right now I did the compartments 2 and 2, (I guess this means when it's all said and done, I'll have a ton of established media).
I also put a pinch of food in there last night. I figured that wouldn't hurt anything, and might feed a little phosphate to the bacteria.

griffinej5 said:
I went ahead and added second filter since Petsmart has a sale on right now. I went with a Marina s20, because I needed something smaller. I have a marineland (I think biowheel) that came with the tank. I can't get it behind the tank where it is set up, so it's running on the side. Next time around, I'll hopefully have space behind my tank a bit more, and put an Aquaclear on it. I cut some AQ sponges to fit, and put in Api Biochem Stars in there instead of what it came with, which I assume I shouldn't even bother with (2 carbons and 2 of something else meant to remove ammonia). Right now I did the compartments 2 and 2, (I guess this means when it's all said and done, I'll have a ton of established media).
I also put a pinch of food in there last night. I figured that wouldn't hurt anything, and might feed a little phosphate to the bacteria.

It really seems like I'm always here thanks to the AA app, lol.

You're doing everything perfectly :). There's no need for the carbon...and definitely don't use the ammonia absorbing media (it pulls the emergency brake on your cycle).

What's dangerous is that once you have all that cycled, seeded and established media...you'll start thinking about how easy it will be to cycle other tanks and you'll have a fish room full of them before you know it, haha.

I'll just toss that stuff. I was pretty sure about that, but I didn't want to toss it unless I was certain.
So, since adding up to what I thought looked like 4 last night, not sure what time I did that, but it had to be 9 or later since I know what time I was out shopping
Ammonia- between 1-2 (had my sister look too).
Nitrite- 1 (I think )
Nitrate- between 5-10, sort of yellow-orange in color.

Starting to think I might be able to get fish soon. Just wondering though, if I actually viewed the ammonia correctly though last night, and it processed out that much that fast, shouldn't there be more nitrite and nitrate? Or am I just being impatient?

griffinej5 said:
I'll just toss that stuff. I was pretty sure about that, but I didn't want to toss it unless I was certain.
So, since adding up to what I thought looked like 4 last night, not sure what time I did that, but it had to be 9 or later since I know what time I was out shopping
Ammonia- between 1-2 (had my sister look too).
Nitrite- 1 (I think )
Nitrate- between 5-10, sort of yellow-orange in color.

Starting to think I might be able to get fish soon. Just wondering though, if I actually viewed the ammonia correctly though last night, and it processed out that much that fast, shouldn't there be more nitrite and nitrate? Or am I just being impatient?

It just takes time for the conversion to happen and show up on the test kit. Everything is going great so far. Before you know it you'll have more nitrIte and nitrAte then you'll know what to do with.

That's what's funny about fishless cycling...at first, all you want to see is a purple test tube, then after a while you're begging it to turn blue again :)

Unless you're libraygirl...she might never get tired of the color purple once it shows up :)

Well after the 24 hour test here are my readings,

0 ppm Ammo
0 ppm Nitrites
30 to 40 ppm Nitrates
PH 7.6

I think I am ready to go!! Agree? :dance: Yea Baby, my next step is going to do a PWC 90% and lower the heaters and start moving fish in, I'll give a pic when I am done....wish me luck!

0 ppm Ammo
0 ppm Nitrites
30 to 40 ppm Nitrates
PH 7.6

I think I am ready to go!! Agree? :dance: Yea Baby, my next step is going to do a PWC 90% and lower the heaters and start moving fish in, I'll give a pic when I am done....wish me luck!

Hey that's great, congratulations! And good luck! Can't wait for the pics! :dance:

FishShack said:

0 ppm Ammo
0 ppm Nitrites
30 to 40 ppm Nitrates
PH 7.6

Congrats!!! I'm really happy for you, and I'm sure your new fish will appreciate it :). Remember that pictures are a requirement of your fishless cycling membership :)

eco23 said:
Congrats!!! I'm really happy for you, and I'm sure your new fish will appreciate it :). Remember that pictures are a requirement of your fishless cycling membership :)

Great job. Enjoy the fish!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom