The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting so close, ammonia dosing to 4ppm daily and is always back down to .25 or zero the next night... Nitrites went from pegged at 5 down to .5 in 24 hours, nitrates are about 30 again today. I think my pH is hovering at 6.4 because of my Co2 injection, I need the crushed coral, but the smallest bag my lfs has is 15 lbs.... Guess I will have to bite the bullet... I am thinking I might be able to stock within the week if I can verify dosing tests consistently! Exciting for my first time getting it done right!

Getting so close, ammonia dosing to 4ppm daily and is always back down to .25 or zero the next night... Nitrites went from pegged at 5 down to .5 in 24 hours, nitrates are about 30 again today. I think my pH is hovering at 6.4 because of my Co2 injection, I need the crushed coral, but the smallest bag my lfs has is 15 lbs.... Guess I will have to bite the bullet... I am thinking I might be able to stock within the week if I can verify dosing tests consistently! Exciting for my first time getting it done right!

That's great! You are pretty close. Just keep checking for a few days after you get the double zeros to make sure it's stable. The crushed coral I think only comes in larger bags which is a bummer but it'll last you forever lol.

Ozydego said:

You're knocking on the door (if not already done). I think fish within the next few days is definitely a possibility :)

Does your pH fluctuate from the co2? I've never run a pressurized system and know little about them, but I thought they would basically cause swings through the course of a day (in that case not associated with negative consequences)...but not keep it pushed down. Honestly I'm a bit clueless when it comes to pressurized co2. The wife might kill me if I spend any more money on the aquariums and she comes home to a big cylinder under the cabinet, haha.

Right now it's DIY fermentation and I can't turn it off when I turn off the lights, so the plants can't use it constantly... I dunno if it should fluctuate or not... Every evening when I check, the lights have been off all day... So it could be low from the plants not using it all day... I did remember that it started going lower after I put in my river rocks which I am pretty sure are sandstone.. From the texture and layers... Never checked to see if sandstone was acidic... That could definitely be a cause... I have decided to pick up the big bag or coral, as I got the drops even when the lfs guy said the coral was much more permanent as a solution... I dose it .2 up and the next day right back to 6.4... Good news is that it doesn't seem to go any peer than that... For now

Well, after 24 hours, this is what I am at... I will test for the next 2 days to make sure, then a big water change to bring the nitrates down and get some movement in the water!!! I have crushed oral in, I will watch the pH as well, see if I can get it back up... Water change should help too.

Attachments

• image-3294092325.jpg
    image-3294092325.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 74
Awesome...that is officially a cycled tank (with a very low pH level :) ). I'd try and get the pH back up so the beneficial bacteria doesn't run into problems since it's finally established. You can try kind of roughing the coral up a bit to knock some powder loose so it dissolves into the water.

Ozydego said:
Well, after 24 hours, this is what I am at... I will test for the next 2 days to make sure, then a big water change to bring the nitrates down and get some movement in the water!!! I have crushed oral in, I will watch the pH as well, see if I can get it back up... Water change should help too.

Nice great job
Enjoy your fish

I think a water change will swing it pretty good, my tap is on the basic side.. Did start to test my kH today and it was 1 which is really low, so my tank is prone to pH swings... Gonna have to keep an eye on it, but I think the buffers in the coral should help a lot... I noticed that if I do chrunch the bag of coral together, the fine cloud does appear again, so I will "fluff" it very day and we will see after the pwc...

Another interesting thing is my nitrates are not sky rocketing as high as I thought, and I am wondering if all the plants are using a bunch of the excess... My Co2 is pretty perfect as far as the level, (now that I can roughly measure using KH and pH) and my plant growth is HUGE so it would be really cool if my NO3 levels would be partially kept in check by the plants...

I think a water change will swing it pretty good, my tap is on the basic side.. Did start to test my kH today and it was 1 which is really low, so my tank is prone to pH swings... Gonna have to keep an eye on it, but I think the buffers in the coral should help a lot... I noticed that if I do chrunch the bag of coral together, the fine cloud does appear again, so I will "fluff" it very day and we will see after the pwc...

Another interesting thing is my nitrates are not sky rocketing as high as I thought, and I am wondering if all the plants are using a bunch of the excess... My Co2 is pretty perfect as far as the level, (now that I can roughly measure using KH and pH) and my plant growth is HUGE so it would be really cool if my NO3 levels would be partially kept in check by the plants...

Congrats on your cycled tank! The plants are most likely eating the nitrate, which is keeping it low. You'll still need to do regular water changes to keep the minerals in the tank water replenished. Good luck!

Ever since being hit by BBA, I have been reading online about BBA and how to get rid of it and I may have a theory on why BBA appeared in my tank. Two situations in which BBA favours is a low level of CO2 and low circulation. In my tank, ever since I flooded it, I have not done any water changes. Also as my rainbar is splashing on the surface of the water, surface agitation is increased, and when surface agitation increases, the level of CO2 drops. So now in my tank, the water is very low in dissolved CO2.

The BBA is rampant at the driftwood furthest away from my filter outlet which may have the area of lowest water circulation. Thus these two conditions are ripe for the BBA to move in. Any opinions guys?

Clausura said:
Ever since being hit by BBA, I have been reading online about BBA and how to get rid of it and I may have a theory on why BBA appeared in my tank. Two situations in which BBA favours is a low level of CO2 and low circulation. In my tank, ever since I flooded it, I have not done any water changes. Also as my rainbar is splashing on the surface of the water, surface agitation is increased, and when surface agitation increases, the level of CO2 drops. So now in my tank, the water is very low in dissolved CO2.

The BBA is rampant at the driftwood furthest away from my filter outlet which may have the area of lowest water circulation. Thus these two conditions are ripe for the BBA to move in. Any opinions guys?

BBA showing up in a tank that doesn't even have a light running is crazy to me. I'm still curious if it's actually some type fungus which just looks like BBA. It definitely throws me for a loop.

Things like air stones and increased agitation causing co2 loss is a bit over-exaggerated in the hobby. In a tank which is not running pressurized co2, having increased exchange at the surface actually contributes to the co2 level. There is carbon dioxide in the air around us just like oxygen, and during the air exchange at the surface it adds co2 just like it does o2.

Another way to look at it...fish breathing is a main contributor to having co2 in your tank to begin with. Since there are no fish...there is no co2 being produced in the tank...so nothing that would gas out anyway.

Personally I'd pull out the DW, spray it with either h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) or Flourish Excel, give it a good scrubbing with an algae sponge, stick it back in and see what happens.

Hi guys,
Just an update on my tank. 19th day and when I did the tests i got:

Ammonia = 1.5, nitrite = off the scale, nitrate = 160

Did a 50% water change, removed my dw and sprayed H2O2 on it, soaked it in water mixed with H2O2 to remove BBA.

Did the ammonia test after water change and it shows 0.5ppm.

Quite excited! Any idea how long more before I can populate with fish?

Am looking at neon tetras with zebra danios. Any other suggestions for good beginner schooling fish?

Can I ask what is a good number for a tank my size? Its a 64G.

Hi guys,

Did a 50% water change, removed my dw and sprayed H2O2 on it, soaked it in water mixed with H2O2 to remove BBA.

Am looking at neon tetras with zebra danios. Any other suggestions for good beginner schooling fish?

From start to finish a fishless cycle usually averages around 30 days. There's really no set time and lots of things can influence the timeline...but a month is pretty normal. Just keep testing and dosing up the ammonia as needed. Everything seems right on track so far :).

A 64 Gallon can fit a good amount of fish. There's tons to choose from...just start browsing different sites and see what you like the look of. In my 46 gallon I've got Leopard Danios, Glofish, Red Eye Tetras, Neon Tetras, Panda Corys, Otos, a Bolivian Ram, Amano and Red Cherry Shrimp. It's a great balance because many of the fish inhabit different levels and there is activity all over the tank.

Neon Tetras have become one of the fish which due to their popularity are over bred, and are not always strong fish or good survivors. Harlequin Rasboras, Cardinal Tetras and Cherry Barbs are also great choices for a peaceful community tank and are easily found. Corydoras are a must have for an aquarium IMO. They're super active, easy to care for and are super entertaining. Personally I'd choose a few schools of fish which spend their time at different levels, some bottom feeders like Corys and a larger, peaceful centerpiece fish like Dwarf Cichlids or Dwarf Gouramis. Shrimp are also a neat thing to have in your tank because they add a different dimension and also help to keep your tank clean.

This site I'll link called AqAdvisor is not considered very accurate or trustworthy, but it's fun to play with and will give you a good idea of what will work and fit into your tank. I'd come up with some different ideas and start a thread on AA to get other members opinions.
http://aqadvisor.com/

Thanks for your suggestions. i have thought about cories but I believe my substrate is unsuitable for them. Mine is black river gravel and it seems that the gavel is quite sharp which may hurt the cories. I like the neons for theit colors although I do like the ones you have mentioned also. So many to choose! =)

Hi guys,

Don't forget to dose the ammonia back up after the water change. :) Falling ammonia b/c of a water change doesn't count, lol.

I like looking at this site, which has a good list of fish and can give you some ideas of what you might want; it also tells you about each fish and what size tank they need, etc.

Cycle Complete! It finished in one month to the day! Thankyou Eco for your invaluable guide (read it like 30 times). Called the lfs today an said send me the fish and ghost shrimp...... Lol they were out, gotta wait another week. This hobby would kill a lesser man.

Thanks again, add another notch in your belt!

Polar said:
Cycle Complete! It finished in one month to the day! Thankyou Eco for your invaluable guide (read it like 30 times). Called the lfs today an said send me the fish and ghost shrimp...... Lol they were out, gotta wait another week. This hobby would kill a lesser man.

Thanks again, add another notch in your belt!

Congratulations on completing your cycle. Eco helped my though my first fishless a while back.

There should be some sort of award for him for helping out so many people :)

A week into my latest tank cycle. The waiting doesn't get easier!!!!

Enjoy your tank & new occupants :)

Congrats Polar! The only requirement for using the guide is that you have to post pictures of your new fish when they arrive :).

(Thanks for the compliment tiguardo :) )

eco23 said:
Congrats Polar! The only requirement for using the guide is that you have to post pictures of your new fish when they arrive :).

(Thanks for the compliment tiguardo :) )

You're very welcome :)

Just finished fishless cycling a 30L for my mother in law & in the process of cycling a new 90L open tank at present. Plus I've got a 30L & 240L awaiting set up.

It's so sad when you spend so much time looking at test tubes wishing they were a different colour ;) Oh well on with today's testing!

Please show some nitrate!!!!

Hello and thank you so much for doing all this work for our benefit! I myself am about to cycle my 30 gal. This is my second time around.I had this tank set up for a couple years and took it down. Now this time I want to do a "kill no fish" cycle, lol. Question: when using an old filter from an est. tank, will I really have to do the huge water change before fish. If my nitrates are below 20 can I do a smaller one? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom