The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your nitrite and ammonia readings?
That's the important question. I can't believe they're that high out of the tap! Have you tested ammo and nitrIte out of the tap too?

Hi,

At present my readings are (6-7 days into cycle);
Ammonia: 3ppm
NitrIte: 0ppm
NitrAte: 30/40 ppm

I have tested both ammonia and nitrite out of tap and there both 0.

Thanks,

Kawaipoon said:
Hi,

At present my readings are (6-7 days into cycle);
Ammonia: 3ppm
NitrIte: 0ppm
NitrAte: 30/40 ppm

I have tested both ammonia and nitrite out of tap and there both 0.

Thanks,

You're getting close. You're doing fine. Keep us updated. Did you re read the article?

The red cherrys. Severum Mama has some Amano I was thinking about, but they get pretty big and fly around the tank like maniacs. I'm looking to add around 6 cherrys to eat leftover food out of the substrate and keep the plants clean. I've got a minor diatom outbreak (kinda brown spotty algae, normal in new tanks, supposed to go away on it's own in a couple weeks), but the shrimp should make a snack out of it in the mean time.

Yeah, everything looks good. Just keep it up. The nitrAte is the end product and isn't using up the nutrients / buffers since it's already there. So it shouldn't hurt the cycle at all.

Nice. She is so nice too. Let me know how the shrimp work out and I may fall in ranks behind you on them

Deckape said:
Nice. She is so nice too. Let me know how the shrimp work out and I may fall in ranks behind you on them

I've gotta find a reputable source to get them because I don't have a suitable QT for them and apparently they can bring in some nasties if they're unhealthy. Yeah severum mama is great. I'm gonna hear back soon to see what she can get me.

You're getting close. You're doing fine. Keep us updated. Did you re read the article?

Yeah, everything looks good. Just keep it up. The nitrAte is the end product and isn't using up the nutrients / buffers since it's already there. So it shouldn't hurt the cycle at all.

Ok, Yeah will keep updated or post agian if any issues,

Thanks for both the help :)

Kawaipoon said:
Ok, Yeah will keep updated or post agian if any issues,

Thanks for both the help :)

That's what we're here for! Come on back if you run across anything else we can help with.

eco23 said:
That's what we're here for! Come on back if you run across anything else we can help with.

Thanks to you for doing a fishless cycle...

Hey Eco Just posting in here :) and btw i appreciate u taking the time to help me

To be honest i didnt take any readings during this "cycle" for one reason... i did what every LFS employee says to do... SAFE START (slaps forehead)... So after adding it i assumed everything would be somewhat okay.

I added 1 catfish and he instantly was not himself... Just laying around seemed to almost be gasping... So i took him out and did not leave him in for more than 35 mins....After doing so i tested my water with API's master kit and the levels were

Ammonia .025
No nitrItes
and between 10 and 20 NitrAtes (hard to tell on little card the give you)

its been 2 and half weeks and i just tested the water a few minutes ago and the readings are still the same....

i did not dose with pure ammonia i used some fish food instead. i really want to see that ammonia go away before i even think of adding my bigger fish to the tank...

My question in the other post was should i actually go and buy pure ammonia or should i just wait it out for now.... and should i be doing water changes or do you think a water change could solve this problem im having?..

Again i thank you for your time!

shankss69 said:
Hey Eco Just posting in here :) and btw i appreciate u taking the time to help me

To be honest i didnt take any readings during this "cycle" for one reason... i did what every LFS employee says to do... SAFE START (slaps forehead)... So after adding it i assumed everything would be somewhat okay.

I added 1 catfish and he instantly was not himself... Just laying around seemed to almost be gasping... So i took him out and did not leave him in for more than 35 mins....After doing so i tested my water with API's master kit and the levels were

Ammonia .025
No nitrItes
and between 10 and 20 NitrAtes (hard to tell on little card the give you)

its been 2 and half weeks and i just tested the water a few minutes ago and the readings are still the same....

i did not dose with pure ammonia i used some fish food instead. i really want to see that ammonia go away before i even think of adding my bigger fish to the tank...

My question in the other post was should i actually go and buy pure ammonia or should i just wait it out for now.... and should i be doing water changes or do you think a water change could solve this problem im having?..

Again i thank you for your time!

I really prefer pure ammonia simply because it is SO much easier to consistently dose to the right level. It's only a couple bucks, so if you drive by a hardware store stop in and pick some up. Otherwise, tons of people use fish food or shrimp, but personally I don't want rotting seafood in my bedroom.

We've really got to get your ammo level up to start cycling. If it's at .25 its not going to build a strong biofilter and you may have mini cycles when you add fish.

You probably have nitrAtes in your tap water and that's where it's coming from. If you haven't seen nitrItes rising, the nitrAtes aren't coming from your cycle.

So, try to find the ammo or add more fish food. I know lots of people use mesh bags to keep it from getting all over the tank, but I have no idea how much to add to get it up to 4ppm. Just get your ammo up to the right level and wait till it starts dropping to dose it back up.

It's fantastic of you that you took out your catfish and did this process the best way. Not a lot of people are caring enough to do that. I'm happy to help you along the way with any other questions you might have.

Sorry, as for the pwc...it shouldn't be needed unless you get the pure ammo and want to vacuum any mess the fish food has created in there.

Just wanted to wish you a happy Eco!

Thanks again for all your help.

Don't know where else to put this so you will see it so,

:bday: HAPPY BIRTHDAY ECO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:new-bday:

Here's a nice pirate toast to ye matey!
36852-albums1597-picture10872.gif

eco23 said:
Thanks man, I'll drink a cold one for you. Maybe a Guiness. How's the tank coming along?

Guineas sounds good to me mate enjoy lol
The tanks on another bloom at the moment think it may have been the extra food i dropped in so i gonna wait till that clears then fingers crossed the ammo and nitrite will drop as its been five weeks tomorrow , i will keep you updated mate any way

Have a great birthday today mate all the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom