Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #1421
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina717 View Post
update: Just got a heater from my friend, she used to have angel fish, but anyways I raised the temp to about 84F. Im on my 5th day of cycling. My ammonia is still at 4ppm. Is this normal? or am I impatient?
Both, you have to be very patient in this hobby. Your fish will be much better off when this most important step is completed.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1456422
Old 09-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #1422
Look It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckape View Post
Both, you have to be very patient in this hobby. Your fish will be much better off when this most important step is completed.
Agree with Deckape. 4 days isn't very long (although I know it feels like it!). It can take a week or two for ammonia to start dropping before nitrites show up. If you can get some seeded media (filter pad, gravel, etc) from an established tank it would speed things up a bit. It'll happen either way, just wait it out.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #1423
Aquarium Advice Activist

I wish I could get some but nobody I know has fish. I went to petsmart and they dont give out seeding material from their tanks
Old 09-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #1424
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is my tank so far its on the 5th day of cycling (;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	312420_178161825593623_100001994202474_377596_1989041256_n.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	52494  
Old 09-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #1425
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Eco I have a question why are you only suppose to dose to 4 ppm ammo when fish-less cycling and not a higher dose just wondering
Old 09-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #1426
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina717
This is my tank so far its on the 5th day of cycling (;
Looks great!

Just keep in mind the shells (if they're real) can raise your pH a bit. It won't hurt anything, but worth knowing.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #1427
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox209
Hey Eco I have a question why are you only suppose to dose to 4 ppm ammo when fish-less cycling and not a higher dose just wondering
4ppm in itself is designed to be overkill. We want to grow a massive bio-filter that can handle anything you throw at it immediately after it's cycled.

If you've got so many fish that they produce more than 4ppm worth of ammonia in 24 hours...you've got way, way, way too many fish in there
Old 09-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #1428
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23

4ppm in itself is designed to be overkill. We want to grow a massive bio-filter that can handle anything you throw at it immediately after it's cycled.

If you've got so many fish that they produce more than 4ppm worth of ammonia in 24 hours...you've got way, way, way too many fish in there
Got it makes sense
Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #1429
Aquarium Advice Activist

Since you said that I tested my waters ph and it was at a 6.2 maybe even lower, that seems quite LOW to me dont you think? or is that normal when its first cycling?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #1430
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Since you said that I tested my waters ph and it was at a 6.2 maybe even lower, that seems quite LOW to me dont you think? or is that normal when its first cycling?
Thats low. It's on the borderline of where it will interfere with your tank cycling. What is it directly from the tap?

Also try leaving a glass of water sitting out overnight and see how it changes compared to from the tap.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #1431
Aquarium Advice Activist

I tested the water from the tap and its so low its lighter that what the chart can read! what should I do?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #1432
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I tested the water from the tap and its so low its lighter that what the chart can read! what should I do?
In the guide there's a section on soft / low alkalinity water. I'd personally suggest checking it out and looking into some crushed coral or something else to buffer the water during cycling. Once you get down to 6.0 nitrification stops entirely...it's actually much slower (meaning a longer cycle) down at 6.2 unless you raise it up
Old 09-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #1433
Aquarium Advice Activist

alright ill look into that...the only thing I have on hand right now is aquarium salt and ph increase...i bought this because the lady at the pet store did say the water is low on ph in the city.
I also have more seashells on hand maybe put some in my filter?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #1434
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
alright ill look into that...the only thing I have on hand right now is aquarium salt and ph increase...i bought this because the lady at the pet store did say the water is low on ph in the city.
I also have more seashells on hand maybe put some in my filter?
I'd look into the crushed coral or aragonite sand (or potentially a buffering powder). The pH up will raise it, but won't keep it there without buffering the water as well to hold it steady. I don't think the shells will do enough like a product like crushed coral would do.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #1435
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just wondering..what should it be at? i will try to find some crushed coral or some buffering powder. I am gonna put a couple shells in my filter for now untill I get paid. Im glad I found out now then later down the line
Old 09-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #1436
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Just wondering..what should it be at? i will try to find some crushed coral or some buffering powder. I am gonna put a couple shells in my filter for now untill I get paid. Im glad I found out now then later down the line
There's not necessarily a right or wrong place for it to be...but extremes can cause a couple issues. The main problem with having a very low pH is that there tends to be a serious lack of minerals in the water that helps keep the pH stable. So what often happens is when a pH starts out low...it keeps dropping lower and lower. This is especially true during the cycling process. Nitrifying bacteria consumers the buffers in the water and excretes acidic waste at the same time. So this can easily result in pH crashes. Like I mentioned before, the lower pH gets, the slower nitrification occurs. Once you get below 6 it stops entirely.

And it is good you found out now. Chances are your cycle would have started well, but after a week or two everything would have frozen and your pH would have been in the basement. It's an easy fix though
Old 09-19-2011, 11:06 PM   #1437
Aquarium Advice Activist

+1 on the crushed coral, I was flirting with 6.4 for a week and nothing I put in worked for long, now, after things have settled and a few water changes I am steady at 7.4. The crushed coral worked great, although a little expensive at my lfs, $21 for a 15 lb bag and I only needed half a pound... I think now that things are steady I might pull my coral back out and monitor because my tap pH is normally ~7.2. with your water being normally low, I think the crushed coral, or even aragonite sand as your substrate might work well. Since you will always be dealing with low pH having aragonite sand (basically really fine crushed coral) might be the best substrate to use. Another option might be whats called Texas holy rock... It kinda cool and has the same effects that the sand does. I will look for some pics of the holy rock.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #1438
Aquarium Advice Activist

Found a few pics, did not go with it myself, but it is definitely cool stuff and it will raise the pH. Here is an article as well
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/tx_holey_rock.php
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-969767623.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	52555   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1848128015.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	52556  

Old 09-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #1439
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi, I alao have a question on the Ph of my water in the tank. From the tap, the Ph is 7.6. However, from my tank 24 hrs after I did my 90% WC yesterday, the Ph is 6.8. Ammonia is 2ppm, Nitrite is 5ppm. For the Ph, should I be worried and monitor it? I have a bag of small coral pieces bought from the lfs, is that crushed coral? And should I put the bag in to buffer the water?
Old 09-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #1440
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try leaving a glass of tap water sitting out overnight and see how much the pH changes. If you have an air stone you can stick in the glass that will help even more. That way we can see if it's the cycle changing your pH, or if that's the natural level of your water after it gasses out.

I'm not sure what you mean by coral pieces. Crushed coral and aragonite sand are normally used as substrate, so they tend to come in large bags...but luckily they're not expensive. Here's an idea of what they look like-
http://www.youhavepets.com/crushed-c...f35a9407ae593d

One note about using it as your substrate though. Many people do for certain species of fish to attain a high pH and alkalinity, but personally I'd suggest putting it into a mesh media bag and placing it into your filter. That way you can control the amount being added and how much it is effecting pH. As a substrate it is a permanent part of your tank which not everyone may want.
Closed Thread

Tags
cycling, fishless, fishless cycling, guide

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com