The Brown Algae has arrived.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHawk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just been reading through various threads discussing brown algae...which has now invaded my new 50G with a vengeance. I don't think it diatoms but the brown slime algae type b/c it wipes off pretty easy. From what I have been able to gather from my reading:

1. Common with new tanks.
2. Reducing light does nothing for this type.
3. May go away once the water is stable.
4. Otos or Plecos like it & may help control it.
5. Green algae may over-take it if you increase light. (Why do you want green instead of brown?)

I'm a little impatient & somewhat of a neat freak so of course I want it gone today. The tank just got a new load of mixed malawi mbuna (15) last week. Can plecos or otos live with these guys? Any other recommendations? The water conditions seem to be normal.

BTW, it looks like cr@p. :(

Tanks take a while to completly adjust after the intial setup. Since you added alot of fish at once, watch the Ammonia levels. But, I'm sure you already know that. :D

Ammonia levels are good so far. (I also added a second filter over the weekend. I did the fishless cycle with my cannister.)

Any advice on dealing with the brown stuff?

I just finished a fishless cycle on my tank and had a bunch of brown algae on the glass and on my sword plant, I got 3 otos and within 24 hours there is zero visible algae. As to whether or not they are compatible with you cichlids, this might seem a little morbid, but they only cost about $1.50 so put a few in and see what happens.

When I had a small brown algae/diatoms breakout in my tank, they wiped off fairly easily as well. 4 Otos chowed it down in the first 24 hours.

More light, water changes, otos.

I recently had to take of a brown algae problem in my 20 gallon FW. Since I had been treating for velvet and had to clean the entire tank anyway it wasn't such a pain for me. I simply wiped down the decor, vacuumed and did a 50% WC. Cleaned my bio filter, added some cycle and replaced the carbon filter.

The tank is crystal clear :) It's may also be of interest for you to know that I do own a Pleco and the algae seemed to become dominant when I had to QT him. He's been back in the tank for a little over a week now.

Joe

Otocinclus would not fare well in this tank at all. I think you need a bristlenose pleco - they are often kept in ARLC setups, and I have one that I have moved from tank to tank that removes brown diatoms overnight. My mbuna do not control any algae on the glass, so this is what I use the BN for.

Duly noted, TG - I got all excited about helping and forgot the tank's current residents! :D

Otos would be eaten in no time. :p

I think you need a bristlenose pleco

That's what I was starting to think. Now to go and find one locally. My LFS situation is not the best. Some of these mbuna are eating it off some of the rocks & plants but a nice BN Pleco would seem to be the best option.

Thanks for all the help everybody. :wink:

Just got back from Petco & they only have "Common Plecos"- the description says adult size 18". I would hate to order one online & pay the huge shipping.

Have you thought of going to the Elgin area? One of my friends lives in Elgin and she was telling me about her fish that she has in her tanks and she was easily able to find bn and rm pleco's.

I tried calling her but she isn't home. She's at work. I'll try to get the name for you though. You may want to try going to msn.com and looking up Pet Stores in the yellow pages. You'll get a bunch.

You could also get a floating magnetic cleaner and just use that. I have very little algea because of my UV, but any I do get I fix in about 10 seconds with my Mag Float.

I use a mag float on my African tank, too, which is pretty simple to use since the stuff just slips right off. I still have one of the old non-floating kind of magnetic scrapers and the floating kind is the best - I'll never go back!

Back
Top Bottom