Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2004, 03:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

The Cycle ( Tell Tale Signs)

How do you now when your tank has cycled is there a tell tale sign?

Old 08-06-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you have test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Have you read the article on cycling in the Articles section? Are you cycling with or without fish?

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=21
And here's one on how to do fishless cycling:
http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/cycle2.html

If you don't have test kits, you need to get them. Get the liquid kind with test tubes, they're better than the test strips.

Hope this helps.

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
cginflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 04:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok I do have a test kit here are the results
gh=60mg/l
hh=60mg/l
nitrate=5
nitrite=.1
ammonia=0 to 0.5
ph=7.6
I have had the tank cycling with fish for about 6 weeks.
I have tested once a week only over the last 2 weeks as that is when I got the kit. the results from the week before were approx the same.
I also have been doing a partial water change every week for the last 4 weeks
as I had a pet store test the water 4 weeks ago and they had said the ammonia was in the danger zone and told me I had to change the water.
the tank set up was given to me by a friend who had gotten a bigger tank
so all the equipment was used
I have the mini master test kit but all the numbers don't mean anything to me as they are just numbers and I don't know anything about this stuff "YET"
that is why Why I was wondering if there is a tell tale sign by the way I have 4 red eye tetras and 4 danios I added 4 neons last week and 1 plecos this week (25 gal tank)
Does this help you asses the situation?
thanks again
Old 08-06-2004, 06:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It looks good, Fish Breath (love your name, by the way). Ideally you want ammonia and nitrites at 0 and nitrates no higher than 40, preferably lower. Since you've just added fish, keep testing ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Your pH is fine, and you don't really have to worry too much about the hardness of the water unless it's really strange water. You've had the fish for 6 weeks, so I think you're fine. Don't add any more fish until you're sure it's cycled.

What kind of pleco, do you know the maximum size it'll get? You want to be careful not to overstock the tank.

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
cginflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fish Breath! Great handle

Once a tank is cycled, ammonia and nitrite will be at 0 and there will be nitrates present. Most fish can handle nitrates up to 40 ppm. How much water have you been changing out at a time? Have you been vacuuming the gravel?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yah I thought the name was cute anyway I will keep testing (although the numbers mean nothing to me yet) but what is the time or the sign that your tank has cycled ..How will know when it has cycled and the plecos is a reg pleco I will trade him if he starts to get to big.I was originally looking for a bristlenose pleco but know had any at the time and I had an algae staring in the tank so I wanted to take care of it right away before it got out of hand (want to get Zebra Pleco too "Beautiful Pleco") but I cant find any local and hard to find someone to ship to Canada Buy the way once it has cycled how many more fish can the tank hold as the kids (whom which I set the tank up for) Want more .... .........$$$$$$$$$$
Old 08-06-2004, 06:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ive been changing about 20% one time I changed about 40 % as I had stirred up some fertilizer clay balls and wasn't sure if that would release to much chemicals into the water as i had disturbed them but that was three weeks ago and no I haven't been vacuuming as someone had told me not to until it has cycled (is this true)
Old 08-06-2004, 06:51 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
How will know when it has cycled and the plecos
When ammonia and nitrites stay undecectable.
Quote:
but I cant find any local and hard to find someone to ship to Canada
Contact a local fish group/club. Here in Calgary we have the Calgary Aquarium Society. And keep looking! I thought there wasn't much here when I first moved up here, but I kept my eyes open and have found lovely plecos!
Quote:
Buy the way once it has cycled how many more fish can the tank hold
Since this is starting out as a peaceful community tank, I woul dgo with the inch per gallon rule; that is the number of inches of the adult fish (not the size you buy it at).
If the kids want certain fish, post a list and we can tell you if they are compatable.
Quote:
nitrate=5
nitrite=.1
ammonia=0 to 0.5
Your tank is cycled. You can tell because the nitrates are there. Now, you need to be doing water changes to get rid of the additional ammonia and nitrites. I would do 10% water changes over the next few days. Please keep us updated!

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 01:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Your tank is cycled. You can tell because the nitrates are there. Now, you need to be doing water changes to get rid of the additional ammonia and nitrites. I would do 10% water changes over the next few days. Please keep us updated![/quote]

Ok here is this weeks test results
Nitrate=10
Nitrite=.8
ammonia=0 to 0.5
PH = 7.4
these are as best as I can tell as it is hard to distinguish the colors on the chart as they are so close
Is this all ok?
I was planning on doing a water change this week sometime I do have time to do it today SHould I change it today or wait a few days
thanks again for your responses

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com