The Dangora 10 Gallon Build and Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know, can't wait. I think I'm going to start off with the pygmy cories because I don't know how much of a bio-load one betta fish would be. 5 sound like a good number of pygmies?

6+ is usually recommended, but even though one of mine is kinda MIA the other five are still schooling together. What kind of pygmies are you planning on getting?

I was gonna order standard corydoras pygmaeus online or ask my lfs to order them from their supplier if available.

Yes, those are the ones i have (the label at the pet store said other wise, but anyways...) , there is also hastatus which has virtually the same behavior but the markings are a bit different, and habrosus which is more of a bottom dweller than the other 2. There are more, but those are the ones ive heard of. I tried finding the habrosus ( venezuelan cories) initially, but found pygmaeus instead. But theyre awsome :)

Yeah I've done a fair amount of research on them. Another one is Corydoras sp. C144 I believe. I like it but they seem very uncommon.

So I went into a local pet store - that has a small fish section - tonight, and noticed the small amount of plants they had in their tanks. I have a gift card that I wanted to use and the potted plants were on sale for like $4, so I figured I might as well give it a shot. I ended up with narrow leaf chain sword (pygmy sword), since it was the most decent looking plant there. I looked up on my phone and saw that it was rated as easy to take care and it only needs moderate lighting, so I gave it a shot.

Just set up my timer for the lights (probably should've done that prior to getting plants :oops:) and got the plant in. I picked off some leaves that weren't too pleasing to my untrained eye, and took a couple pictures to add to this thread. Anyways, I want to get some java fern and some kind of moss, and maybe some anubias. I am starting to think the larger piece of wood is just too large, so I might end up swapping that out with a third piece I have soaking for a 29 gallon (which is a smaller piece).

And, without further ado, my pygmy chain sword:

imag0450j.jpg

imag0451uo.jpg

Just took the chain sword out of the pot and planted it. Hope I did okay. Found a small plant with separate roots, so I figured it was a runner and planted it a little to the left. Hopefully will be able to get some seachem flourish tomorrow.

imag0466p.jpg

Edit: sorry for the crappy picture, I'll try to get a better one when my water clears up a little.

Just thought I'd throw in a nicer, more current picture.

Still considering fish! Give me some suggestions, please!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110930_225912.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110930_225912.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 63
ordered some Hemianthus Micranthemoides (Baby Tears) from Chodom. Just planted them all individually. Going to monitor them closely. Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

img6399s.jpg

img6402.jpg

Feedback for Chodom

Those are really nice! When are you planning on getting fish? Im assuming your tanks done cycling now.

Those are really nice! When are you planning on getting fish? Im assuming your tanks done cycling now.

Haha yeah it's been done for probably over a month now. I keep adding ammonia to keep the bb alive. I'm waiting for the right fish. I really want CPDs but no one sells them locally so I need to buy them online.

Are baby tears easy to grow? I want some real plants to help make my tank look more natural, but I need something that requires little care.
I'm not quite done with my fishless cycle yet. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks.
Thanks.

Based off what I read, low lights will make it grow high and bright will make it spread but it definitely grows well. Just use fertilizers. But I don't have any experience with it. Ask around plenty of people probably have had it.

Got some new fish and plants the other day at the coolest LFS I know! :)

I got 4 scarlet gem badis (dario dario). 2 are male and 2 are female.

I also got 3 Celestial pearl danios. I'm going to pick up some more in a few weeks, assuming the tank remains stable (I'm monitoring).

My phone has been really screwy lately, but I think I managed some decent pictures:

Scarlet Gem Badis pair!
img_1625628_0_2aea861bae29720a60bbfd05214f3d96.jpg

Two celestials and a scarlet gem behind the wood
img_1625628_1_0323a22775bf9026b5cdd8b1081c253b.jpg

Dwarf Sag with some fish in the background
img_1625628_2_f1806f67dd7a056c236966151684c960.jpg

Scarlet Gem Female
img_1625628_3_af1572dab4ebd9f17e8c2c994b0645f7.jpg

Crappy full tank shot
img_1625628_4_c720e0bd4235cbbc10e469d9b3a4cee9.jpg

Took some more pictures. If anyone could identify the moss like plant for me, that would be great.

Forgot to add the pictures from my phone

Once again it would be great if someone could ID that moss

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111114_191021.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111114_191021.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 54
  • ForumRunner_20111114_191051.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111114_191051.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 57
  • ForumRunner_20111114_191115.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111114_191115.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 53
  • ForumRunner_20111114_191139.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111114_191139.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 47
FreshwaterTropical said:
Awesome tank!
And that looks like java moss.

Thanks ! I waited a while to get the fish I wanted, but everything worked out.

The guy at my LFS didn't know exactly what it was, he said he thought it was java. I bought so many other plants that he gave me that big clump for a dollar. It's been growing well, and i think I'm going to attach it to the big piece of driftwood and a little to that fancy rock.

Back
Top Bottom