The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You still need either a root or rhizome for them to grow. You can separate out a part with a root/rhizome and plant that and it will grow. I do not know of any plants (other than mosses) that will grow if you just cut off leaves. But, it is easy to divide any of the prolific plants and both parts will grow and fill back in.

I'm partial to the more gold and blue ones since they're my colors, obviously...:D

But the only problem I have with blues is that they aren't actually blue, they're more of a grey color. Is this just the juvenille coloration???

Also, how do you acclamate angels? Mine mysteriously die after a week or two every time...

Hey bruinsbro, I know I'm behind again, but I wanted to put my 2 cents in on the type of angels. The one in my avatar is a veiltailed marble (I think) and as he got mature the white/silver coloration areas on him often reflect a blue sheen, I have seen this in the fins of the goldens I have as well. IMO The veiltail is the bestest, but they do provide maximum fin nippage temptation. Have FUN!

Hey bruinsbro, I know I'm behind again, but I wanted to put my 2 cents in on the type of angels. The one in my avatar is a veiltailed marble (I think) and as he got mature the white/silver coloration areas on him often reflect a blue sheen, I have seen this in the fins of the goldens I have as well. IMO The veiltail is the bestest, but they do provide maximum fin nippage temptation. Have FUN!

Thanks JoeBob! I think I've decided on the regular finned angels (not that I have anything against veiltails, but they are always badly fin nipped when I see them at the store). I've been looking at the different angel strains and finally found something I like. It looks kinda like this:
bluesmokeypearl_lg.jpg

Do you think the LFS would special order it for me?

Thanks JoeBob! I think I've decided on the regular finned angels (not that I have anything against veiltails, but they are always badly fin nipped when I see them at the store). I've been looking at the different angel strains and finally found something I like. It looks kinda like this:
bluesmokeypearl_lg.jpg

Do you think the LFS would special order it for me?

Most will if you just ask.

My angel is a black marble veiltail and he's developing some yellow and some of his silver colorings often reflect blue in the light.

Wow, that is an amazing looking angel, I would love to have that! Yeah, I've found that you have better luck getting the LFS to order if it's a MomnPop operation. Petsmart in this area will not do that. Good Luck!

That guy looks awesome! Most PetCos will order for you too. My lfs actually doesn't do special orders. But, the only way to find out is to ask!

The unfortunate update...

My grandma WILL NOT take the cherry barbs! She's afraid they'll get eaten by her angel...

So...I have ONLY one ten gallon tank, and I have to rehome one betta, four cardinal tetras, and six cherry barbs before I can get the fish I need/want.

Is it okay if I just put the two schoolers in the ten gallon and then keep the betta in there? I think two schoolers+betta=overstocked...

bruinsbro1997 said:
The unfortunate update...

My grandma WILL NOT take the cherry barbs! She's afraid they'll get eaten by her angel...

So...I have ONLY one ten gallon tank, and I have to rehome one betta, four cardinal tetras, and six cherry barbs before I can get the fish I need/want.

Is it okay if I just put the two schoolers in the ten gallon and then keep the betta in there? I think two schoolers+betta=overstocked...

Hey bruinsbro, don't know if it matters to grandma, but I've had cherry barbs with my angels for 5+ years. I have had no problems with anything more than territorial displays with a mated pair. I also think that's a little much for a 10 gal but I'm not great at estimating stocking levels (see my what to do thread). Good luck and hang in, you'll figure something out I'm sure.

absolutangel04 said:
Ouch, that would be a bit much in a 10 gallon tank. Too bad. You can always bring the barbs to an lfs.

That's the problem...the LFS around here don't accept any fish that you don't need, unless it's a rare fish of some sort...

That's the problem...the LFS around here don't accept any fish that you don't need, unless it's a rare fish of some sort...
Ouch. My next suggestion would be craigslist. I have seen a bunch of people on there who advertise that they are intersted in fish to fill their tanks.

Update!

Scratched the stocking list again. This is what I came up with and got at the LFS instead:
-two chocolate DGs
-one gold honey DG
-two platies
-two boesman's

So here's what the stock looks like
-two chocolate DGs
-two honey gold DGs
-two platies
-three boesman's plus one australian rainbow
-six emerald cories
-three GBRs

I kicked the angel off the list, I decided against it.

Also got some plants today. More rotala indica/rotundifolia, red camboda, and hygro. The tank is almost looking complete! Pics to go up soon

The unfortunate and uneasy update...

No fish can be rehomed. :( My grandma has refused any more fish. She's kinda in a crisis right now and is very stoic at the moment. So now, I have three schoolers in the tank with nowhere to put two of them!!! My mom is also dealing with a mid-life crisis and will not let me get the ten gallon!!!! And, as you know, the LFS around here don't take in anything unless it's rare or uncommon!

Also...my GBR died. :( I was really surprised, they were all doing so well. It was the unidentified sex one, so he/she is now in heaven.

The only other available tank is the 5 gallon which is WAY too small for any of the fish.

Help me! This is a stocking nightmare!
X2 Boesman rainbows
X2 chocolate gourami
X2 gold honey DG
X2 platies
X4 cardinal tetras
X5 cherry barbs
X2 GBR
X6 emerald cory

What am I supposed to do?!?!?!

Do you have a rubbermaid container? I have 2 7.5 gallon ones, a 20 gallon 0ne, and a 30 gallon one. they are great temporary tanks, if u have a filter, heater, basically all equipment.. ive stored 13 fish all together using them, and have used the fish in each one. i suggest that, if you dont want to use this method, or cant find a better solution, to put the platies in the 5 gallon. not enough room, but it could work for a bit.the best thing for the corys is to keep them where theres some gravel to distract them with. ive never kept anything on that list except for the corys, platiys, honey DG, and cherrys. remember, this is just my opinion, and even i doubt my own ideas. id love to find a better solution. what are water params now? if normal, turn the lights off and try to keep them caalm. if not, uh oh. remember, JMO.

Unfortunately I have no Rubbermaid containers :(

And the five gallon has a betta in it already...GAH! I'm stuck :(

Don't know the water parameters, currently I'm...well...at a funeral planning :(

My life is depressing! Blah.

oh geez. let me just say that if we lived closer to each other i would give you my 20 gallon tank that finished cycling, and my 10 gallon breeder tank that is currently empty. i just wanted to say that my hope is that things will work out.

I hope so too. For now, I guess this is where things are at I guess. Well, I guess the best thing to do for now is to just keep things as is I guess...for now things will have to stay where they are.

The unfortunate and uneasy update...

No fish can be rehomed. :( My grandma has refused any more fish. She's kinda in a crisis right now and is very stoic at the moment. So now, I have three schoolers in the tank with nowhere to put two of them!!! My mom is also dealing with a mid-life crisis and will not let me get the ten gallon!!!! And, as you know, the LFS around here don't take in anything unless it's rare or uncommon!

Also...my GBR died. :( I was really surprised, they were all doing so well. It was the unidentified sex one, so he/she is now in heaven.

The only other available tank is the 5 gallon which is WAY too small for any of the fish.

Help me! This is a stocking nightmare!
X2 Boesman rainbows
X2 chocolate gourami
X2 gold honey DG
X2 platies
X4 cardinal tetras
X5 cherry barbs
X2 GBR
X6 emerald cory

What am I supposed to do?!?!?!
I am sorry that things are not going well for your family.
Sorry, but I am unclear, is this stock all in your 40 gallon right now?

Back
Top Bottom