The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you cant go wrong with kuhli loaches. i got some for my newest 29 gallon project i started. they are AMAZING!!! or you could try killifish, like everyone else said./...

mr.waffles1842 said:
you cant go wrong with kuhli loaches. i got some for my newest 29 gallon project i started. they are AMAZING!!! or you could try killifish, like everyone else said./...

I like khuli loaches too! But are they going to be okay with the cories? I also have no sand for them to bury in. Is that going to be okay?
I do like killifish but all the killifish they have here are golden wonder killies, which I don't really want. My parents won't let me buy stuff from online either. Hmm...what about another cichlid? Can anyone recommend me one?

first of all, my parents dont let me order online either. i feel your pain. second of all, kuhlis wouldnt harm a fly. theyre fine with my shrimp. but im not sure about them in gravel. mine are in really small gravel. how thick is yours? also it should be smooth gravel.

mr.waffles1842 said:
first of all, my parents dont let me order online either. i feel your pain. second of all, kuhlis wouldnt harm a fly. theyre fine with my shrimp. but im not sure about them in gravel. mine are in really small gravel. how thick is yours? also it should be smooth gravel.

My gravel is around 1 mm, is that fine enough for them?

My gravel is around 1 mm, is that fine enough for them?
I have them in just standard aquarium gravel and I have no issues. Be sure that your decorations either are firmly dug into the bottom or else leave a gap big enough for them to easily fit through to get underneath. That way, they won't get scraped up. I keep all my decor buried in the gravel so they can't wiggle under it, but I give them some small caves sort of things (with a 1 inch opening) so they feel secure. They really like to hang out in the plants too. Mine burrow through my amazon swords all the time. They are fine with corys, probably the most peaceful community dwellers ever.

absolutangel04 said:
I have them in just standard aquarium gravel and I have no issues. Be sure that your decorations either are firmly dug into the bottom or else leave a gap big enough for them to easily fit through to get underneath. That way, they won't get scraped up. I keep all my decor buried in the gravel so they can't wiggle under it, but I give them some small caves sort of things (with a 1 inch opening) so they feel secure. They really like to hang out in the plants too. Mine burrow through my amazon swords all the time. They are fine with corys, probably the most peaceful community dwellers ever.

Would they dig up my plants???
I could fill up a terra cotta pot with sand in it just for them :)
If they got under rocks would they get stuck?

Would they dig up my plants???
I could fill up a terra cotta pot with sand in it just for them :)
If they got under rocks would they get stuck?
No, they will not uproot the plants. A sand pot would be ok, but make sure it is low because they mostly swim across the bottom. It is possible for them to get stuck under things. Typically, if they got under they can get back out, but every once in awhile they get stuck if the gravel shifts on them. If you just have rocks though, its not a big deal. Mine got stuck under a hollow tree ornament once because I didn't know they could even get under it, and I hit it with my gravel siphon and that re-arranged it just enough for them to get stuck. I figured out when I didn't see them for a day though and rescued them. I have a different hollow ornament that I prop up a bit so they can get under it and hang out.

Update!
No, they will not uproot the plants. A sand pot would be ok, but make sure it is low because they mostly swim across the bottom. It is possible for them to get stuck under things. Typically, if they got under they can get back out, but every once in awhile they get stuck if the gravel shifts on them. If you just have rocks though, its not a big deal. Mine got stuck under a hollow tree ornament once because I didn't know they could even get under it, and I hit it with my gravel siphon and that re-arranged it just enough for them to get stuck. I figured out when I didn't see them for a day though and rescued them. I have a different hollow ornament that I prop up a bit so they can get under it and hang out.
Alright, well khulis are going to be a consideration now, thanks for all the help :)

These rummies just hate me. I do a PWC change two days ago, dose with the ich meds yesterday, my temperature is still at a loft 84 degrees F and yet this morning there is STILL another belly-up rummy-nose tetra. Now I'm down to three. This is a nightmare, and I'm just going to return these fish and never look at them again.

So...what do you think about the stock???
Getting rid of:
X1 GBR
X1 chocolate gourami
X3 rummies
Future Stock Plus Add-on:
X1 GBR
X1 Angel
X7 Pristella Tetras
X7 Bentosi Tetras
X6 Bronze Cories
X1 Platy
X2 Gold Honey Gouramis
X3 Nerite Snails
X5 or so amano shrimp
X10 or more RCS from a bundle of java moss
The bolded ones are ones I'm thinking about. Whatcha think? Stocked to the max and no more fish for me?

I'm not sure at the stock amount, where you are I mean. But I'd watch out for the amano and RCS because some of the fish that you have might/probably will eat them. But then again it might work. Good luck!

Gboy66 said:
Then i think youll be stocked to the max! Good luck

Thanks! I want to add more fish besides the bentosis but I guess that'll be it for me.

Also...I kinda added the nerites today already :D they're doing a great job eating the algae! My concern is that do I need to grow more algae for them? I've had a rock that's been growing brown algae for a month and they ate it in about three or four hours. What should I feed them if more algae is not an option?

Well you could take a rock and brown it outside right? Wont they eat algea wafers too?

i used something with my snails, like a pastey sort of fish food, completely worthless IMO, but i pasted it on my cucumber. then i just stuck it to the glass and boom, instant fake algae.

i believe it was called "Smear and Paint". i was supposed to be for algae eaters and snails, but it just flaked off. i cant see to find it anymore. it was at the store the "Fishman". i guess it was just another homemade food, like "Kwik"

Update!

Well got store credit for the bulbs, traded it in for five plants. Got rice paddy herb and sunset hygrophillia but also three unidentified ones. I'll post a pic when I get home an see if anyone can ID them. Decided to wait on the rummies and return them next week to see how they do.

Hi bruinsbro,
Just reading through your posts and noted that you had the ich problem. I have been treating for ich with meds from the lfs. Mine states that it can only be used half strength with tetras. I had to treat my whole tank that had tetras and others together. My other fish got very sick as they were only getting half dose but eventually all the fish got better and I did not lose even one. sorry for your losses. Just a note for the future.
good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom