The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The second bottle is actually just a 'burp' bottle, so that if any of your yeast concoction gets spit out, it goes into the second bottle rather than the tank. They are both essentially the same method. The diffusion method is up to you.

Honestly, I wouldn't pay for any yeast-driven CO2 system when a DIY setup using bottles and jugs will work just fine.

DIY it is.

I haven't gotten the chance to go on as much as I use to, so I'm sorry if that's an inconvenience. I won't be on as much now with school, especially finals in two weeks, so I'll just be browsing and such.

Tank is going great. Don't plan on adding anything except the cardinals and pearls.

Perhaps flying fox?

I'll see you around. Have a busy two weeks ahead, hopefully I'll check in at least once a day :)

Sorry for not getting back to some people. I haven't had the time.

Hope you all had a good week.

bruinsbro1997 said:
DIY it is.

I haven't gotten the chance to go on as much as I use to, so I'm sorry if that's an inconvenience. I won't be on as much now with school, especially finals in two weeks, so I'll just be browsing and such.

Tank is going great. Don't plan on adding anything except the cardinals and pearls.

Perhaps flying fox?

I'll see you around. Have a busy two weeks ahead, hopefully I'll check in at least once a day :)

Ya man, good luck on finals and such. Just keep those fish in mind! :D

Good to know you are still alive!

IMO, no flying fox. They reach over 6 inches and have a temperment similar to a rainbow shark. Yes, they are more mild than a rainbow shark, but do still show aggression to other fish one the bottom (like your bronze cories) and can be a bit nasty once they get some size on them.

bruinsbro1997 said:
DIY it is.

Perhaps flying fox?

Good luck! You're pretty smart, you'll do good :D

Ya man, good luck on finals and such. Just keep those fish in mind! :D

Haha I barely can, only have time for feeding and a water change. This is one of the lucky times I get to come on here.

Good to know you are still alive!

IMO, no flying fox. They reach over 6 inches and have a temperment similar to a rainbow shark. Yes, they are more mild than a rainbow shark, but do still show aggression to other fish one the bottom (like your bronze cories) and can be a bit nasty once they get some size on them.

Got it.
What about SAE? I know (or have at least heard) you're supposed to keep them in groups of four or more, but could you keep one singly? I like the way they look a lot, like a pencilfish except without the uncertainty of buying it.

Good luck! You're pretty smart, you'll do good :D

Thanks! :)

I owe you guys some pictures. When I have free time I will post you some.

Edit: Also, going to start DIY CO2 eventually. Haven't had the time to. I've stopped dosing Excel and Iron, the hair algae is neither growing nor going away so I'm just taking it out manually when I have the time. I will keep you updated on that too.

I have not kept single sae before, so I do not know if that would work out of not. I always hears they really do better in groups though. YOu could try PMing severum mama bcause I know she has sold sae before so she knows more about them then me. :)

absolutangel04 said:
I have not kept single sae before, so I do not know if that would work out of not. I always hears they really do better in groups though. YOu could try PMing severum mama bcause I know she has sold sae before so she knows more about them then me. :)

I'll send her one right now :)

Hey dude i thought of a cool fish for you today...zebra loaches:)

Like yoyo's...but zebra;) haha

I heard/assumed that too much light and too much nutrients without any CO2 would lead to algae. Am I wrong or correct?

Excel isn't a 'nutrient' in a tradition sense, but a carbon supplement that acts as a 'sort of' replacement for CO2. It doesn't benefit algae at all, and is actually a known algaecide. It's extremely handy stuff to have around.

Hmm. Okay. I'll start up with doses tomorrow. The algae has stopped growing, but I think my lighting is more of the problem. This weekend (which is a three-day weekend) I'll try to set up the CO2.

Gboy, I would, but I already have bottom feeders ;)

bruinsbro1997 said:
Hmm. Okay. I'll start up with doses tomorrow. The algae has stopped growing, but I think my lighting is more of the problem. This weekend (which is a three-day weekend) I'll try to set up the CO2.

Gboy, I would, but I already have bottom feeders ;)

Those bronze corys? Only 6 of them right? :(

Gboy66 said:
Lol. Thats okay!

Peacock eel.

Lol

You just love to annoy me with that peacock eel, don't you...:D Maybe when I have a bigger tank ;)

Anyone else have any opinions on the SAE? Planning on taking a break this week in between studying for finals and going to the LFS.

I dont see a prob with it! Except maybe groups?

What about pitbull plecos? I am researching them for my own 40 and i know you thought about them before. they seem like really fun, small plecos!

An Update

It's been a busy two weeks. I don't get a lot of free time anymore, especially with finals. Since I only have one more to take tomorrow it's a lot less studying and I have a lot more time since I get out at 12 during finals week. Thought I would post how things were going.

First, I filled out my cardinal school. Now have ten of these amazing fish schooling in my tank! They are amazing and I love them, they look awesome with the rasboras!
img_1752561_0_da3fd175062748d343ba079367ee349c.jpg

There is still, however, the problematic one with the very deformed eye. It seems to be getting worse. Here's a side pic. Anything I can do about it?
img_1752561_1_e5b94bb78cd71741b29ab4f4d8c35b57.jpg

Secondly, I bought some more amano shrimp. I thought that if I added more, I would see them more often since they would feel safer in groups, but apparently it's not working that well. The latest I have seen of one is three days ago, hiding under a anubias leaf that was eating on the java moss. And it hid itself pretty well too.

Yesterday I bought my Siamese Algae Eater. After PMing with a great member on this site, I decided to try to get one and see how it goes. This guy is now one of my favorite fish.
img_1752561_2_584cb4319efc0b56284f3bf97b91ac9e.jpg

For starters, he doesn't seemed to be scared of me and doesn't swim away when I come close to the tank. He is also very active, sociable, and likes to eat the algae! He seems to have a preference for the more green/brownish algae than the hair algae but he will still eat it occassionally. Should I throw some rocks in a bucket of tank water and leave them out in the sun to supplement his algae diet?

Thought I would also update a bit on tank life.

The ram gave me a scare last week. Before and after a PWC she was rubbing on the rocks, sort of like gliding/scratching on them. She was starting to develop some pink colors on her side that looked like they were from the scratching. I was scared it was an internal/external parasite. Thankfully, she stopped on Sunday, and so far there has been no problems. Should I still be worried?

Did a water change, water quality in tip-top shape!
img_1752561_3_c667f9980c95f270c08da85541944b78.jpg

I also got a few guppy shots as well. I decided to name the first one Lightning, after one of my fave characters from Pixar Lightning McQueen, and the other one Bruins, just because...if you know me, you'll understand...hehe. Can you guess which one is which?

img_1752561_4_56dec18da6b7b58e3614073621d1d510.jpg

I assume they are both males. I am about 90% sure. Anyone wanna correct/answer me on that?

And...yes, I'm finally starting my DIY CO2!
I bought all the supplies on Monday. This is what I have so far:
-airline tubing
-syringe
-check valve
-2 2L bottles of lemonade currently being emptied by the siblings
-sugar and yeast

Am I missing anything?

I got the syringe and the check valve because I read about a DIY bubble counter from this article. Sound like a good idea?
img_1752561_5_2cd4726868aa07e326be6e6a58ae23a3.jpg

Not much going on with stocking. Just want to add a pair of pearl gouramis. That's it. Sorry guys, no more exciting stocking lists.

And I also owe you guys some FTS. Here are some as of yesterday. I added some hygrophillia kompart to cover up the ugly DW crevice and I thought it would look nice. The cories seem to appreciate it. I am thinking about adding more pygmy chain sword to cover the entire foreground. Good idea, or should I use some other plant for the foreground?

Side view
img_1752561_6_aa17da38066c491cb0365b29eb9048b1.jpg

Front view

img_1752561_7_81d8d9463e245783d3f41f8fd9af943f.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the update!

Back
Top Bottom