The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update!

We finally found a stand! It has an espresso brown finish and is low to the ground, very sturdy and was cheap, only 120! We found it at Target, it's pretty nice! Pics will go up soon of it with the tank :)

Also, we're moving out my old tank and giving it to me cousin next weekend, and we will finally move in the forty gallon breeder! :D

YES! I am so excited! It'll be going up next week, with plants, sand and everything! Can't wait to show you guys! :D

OH BTW, what do people think of this plant list I created???

As a Carpet Effect:
-glossotigma
For the Foreground:
-pygmy chain sword
For the Middle:
-water trumpet
-dwarf saggitaria
-Blyxa Japonica
For the Background:
-amazon sword
-Ludwiga respens
-rotala indica
-water wisteria
-sunset hygro

Thanks! :)

If your lighting is good enough, you should get a nice red/gold effect wight blyxa and ludwiga. Sounds like a plan!
What did you buy as a stand at target? I would be worried about it's maximum weight load!

It's a coffee table. Now before you get on me for buying this because it's not sturdy enough, we did test it out. It looks like it supports lots of weight, plus it's supposed to hold a television, which ways roughly the same amount as a fish tank I believe. I think it's sturdy enough, plus it was the only one wide enough to have a 40 gallon breeder on top of it.

My lights are going to be Zoo-Med with one Flora-Sun and one Ultra-Sun bulb. But I did see LED Marineland Lights at Petsmart for cheap, 60 dollars that can fit on my tank. Which would you think is better?

I am actually running that same zoo-med fixture. the t5ho that is 36", with dual bulbs? I have one 6700k and one 10000K and I am very satisfied with it so far.
honestly...I have NO experience with LED besides for home fixtures...

I am actually running that same zoo-med fixture. the t5ho that is 36", with dual bulbs? I have one 6700k and one 10000K and I am very satisfied with it so far.
honestly...I have NO experience with LED besides for home fixtures...

Yep that is the same one. People are always saying that LED is better though, don't know why.

I just don't get it. gimme a chart with PAR on a t5ho over LED at this pioint...at least until I learn more! LOL

sounds good but i don't know about a tv weighing the same as a fish tank lol. Even the old tube televisions weren't that heavy. Had to throw at an old 40'' myself. I'm sure it'll hold though.

I'm pretty sure it should hold, me, my sister and my mom sat on it....together we weight about the same as the fish tank full of water. Plus the one on display was kinda tattered and beaten up, don't know if that counts though...

Could anyone give me any opinions on my stock???
-a pair of angels (hopefully one yellow and one smokey blue ;))
-a pair of fundulopanchax scheeli killies
-a keyhole cichlid
-a GBR
-a school of eight threadfin rainbows
-a school of eight rummynose tetras
-a school of eight emerald brochis
-a honey DG
-a (possible) female betta imbellis

I'm running an AquaClear 30, an Aquaeon 30 and a Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel 200 on this tank. Do you think that'll be enough filtration to not overload the bioload, and do you think the fish will have enough swim room or not???

Sounds like a lot. I'm not the best with stocking though so i'll let someone else chime in.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Could anyone give me any opinions on my stock???
-a pair of angels (hopefully one yellow and one smokey blue ;))
-a pair of fundulopanchax scheeli killies
-a keyhole cichlid
-a GBR
-a school of eight emerald brochis
-a honey DG
-a (possible) female betta imbellis

That is a LOT of fish for a 40, even a breeder...
I would say, stick with your angel lair, two schools of the shoaling fish, and the GBR...

Ahh the problem with having this tank is that I want to cram as much fish as I can in it but that's not practical! So many fish, so little room!

Here's the revised list:
-a pair of angels
-a school of eight emerald brochis*
-three or four SAEs
-one GBR*
-one honey DG*

The starred fish are the fish I have and really can't give away with all my others...I really like these guys!

bruinsbro1997 said:
Ahh the problem with having this tank is that I want to cram as much fish as I can in it but that's not practical! So many fish, so little room!

Here's the revised list:
-a pair of angels
-a school of eight emerald brochis*
-three or four SAEs
-one GBR*
-one honey DG*

The starred fish are the fish I have and really can't give away with all my others...I really like these guys!

I would still say choose between the rummy nose or the thread fins...

You are really pushing space honestly... I have 6 each of 4 schooling species in my tank, and I will be overstocked when they are full grown by just a bit, and they all stay small!!
Obviously it's just a general guide. If you wanna do it, stock SLOWLY and see how things go.

I'm sorry, but I have to have them! Don't worry, I'm going to be stocking slowly. I want these fish bad...when you've had this tank staring at you for a month in the face and you can't do anything with it it's easy to slip and forget you can't add all the fish you want in it!

Oh believe me! I remember the feeling. I have a ginormous drilled tank literally with no water right now. It's a toss up for either discus or reef...
Decisions decisions...

Oh believe me! I remember the feeling. I have a ginormous drilled tank literally with no water right now. It's a toss up for either discus or reef...
Decisions decisions...

Oh that is so hard!!! But if it were me I'd choose the reef, much more prettier fish to choose from even though discus are quite stunning...

Gah this tank is getting moved in next week and I'm so excited! I can't contain it and it's starting to get to me; I'm blowing up and getting short-fused with everyone! Impatience impatience impatience...

BTW, does anyone know what kind of algae SAE's eat? This tank is going to be new (not established) and I was planning on just chucking rocks in a bowl and leaving them outside in tank water for a couple of days but not sure if that will grow the right algae for them...

Back
Top Bottom