The tank that refuses to cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Centronix

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, been lurking here for a few months and enjoy all the information here. I've run in to a problem getting my 20 gallon tank to complete it's cycle and don't know where to go from here...

October 14th we purchased and setup a new 20 gallon tank with no fish in it, and let it run until the 17th. Ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites were all zero, of course, with a 8.2pH. On the 17th I added two goldfish (the two year old wants a "Dorothy" :roll: ). On the 18th, Ammonia rose to .25 and the cycle started. I did PWCs and kept the ammonia at 1ppm or less. October 30th we saw our first sign of Nitrites at .25ppm. November 2nd we started to see nitrates, at 5ppm, and everything seems great, and by November 5th, our ammonia had dropped back to zero, so we're half way through the cycle.

Since then nitrites continue to skyrocket. After a 25% or so PWC, nitrites will be around .25, but the next day will be between 2 and 5ppm. Nitrate levels have never increased past 10ppm and have been there for weeks now. I ended up having to go out of town over Thanksgiving for three days, and I came home to two dead goldfish. Not wanting to kill more fish, and on the advice of a lps, I threw two african dwarf frogs in there. Since they lack gills and don't breathe the water, the nitrite levels wont matter to them, and they will still keep the cycle moving. They have been doing great since I put them in, but no change in the nitrite or nitrate levels.

Nothing but blue gravel in the bottom, a few fake plants, and three pieces of granite. Filter is a "Whisper" carbon-based filter; I know I need to upgrade to a bio-wheel or similar solution. I'm using tap water, treating it with a Kent product (dont recall the name) to take care of the chloramines we have out here. I feed the frogs every third day, and not enough to last in the tank past a few minutes.

Any ideas what's going on here? Am I just being impatient in expecting it to have cycled within the first month or so? Is it possible something is keeping the bacteria that feed on the nitrite from growing? Since adding the frogs, I haven't touched the water except to test it. nitrites have been at 5 or higher for the past week, and nitrates haven't gone past 10, with no signs of change in either direction.

What to do?!

-Cent

I have had a similar problem it could be your water conditioner the water conditioner I have been using has been a great help its called Prime I bought it at a local petco also goldfish arnt the best cycle fish since they are dirty fish what are you going to do with your frogs once your cycle is completed if your going to tke them back to the fish store you may want to do that now and just use the fishless cycle I wish I would have good luck with your tank

I'll check the brand of product I'm using when I get back to the house this afternoon. Yeah, I knew goldfish were dirty, just figured I'd be doing more water changes to keep up with them. Moot point, now, though. I plan on keeping the frogs. Once established, we plan on going with community fish, and they'll do just fine in there.

A cycle with fish can be difficult. It can take several weeks. The frogs won't be enough to get your cycle established. What I would do is take the frogs and put them in another tank if possible, or return them to the lfs and do a fishless cycle. This is a good link to fishless cycling. Another option is to add a couple of hardy fish and restart the cycle with fish. You will have to do pwc's every few days to keep the ammonia down. Either way a cycle can take a few weeks to be sure. A good declorinator like prime is good when adding new water but it doesn't affect your cycle at all. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom