The tiger barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bazook

Aquarium Advice Regular
In the past two months I have been convinced of the rewarding nature of fishkeeping. Luckily I paid more attention to water chemistry before I looked into types of fish... Needless to say I spent the better part of my tax return on aquariums and equipment.

Long story short, I bought a few hearty species for a fish-in cycle and learned along the way. Tiger barbs caught my eye because they looked agile and active, so I started with a 5g with 1 glo tetra, 1 neon tetra) then a 29g with assorted small fish (both with plastic decor) and eventually set up a 20 g planted tank. After a week of bio boost and minimal knowledge I started stocking the planted with tiger barbs in packs of of 3 with equal hi fin tetra, who lost a few a fins but were relieved to my docile 29g (1 Molly, 3 guppies, 3 platys, 1 pleco) 1 barb died from swim bladder issues and then replaced, afterward,another of the original ones kicked the bucket during my last stages of cycling, leaving a large male, And what I suspect is a very small female. I decided to pack on with 4 more green barbs to help build the hierarchy, which seemed more important than tending a newly established tank. After I introduced the new group I realized I had a green male that was second in size (1.25 in) to my largest male (2.5 in).

Immediately the pecking order took place, and the green male was singled out for nipping and chasing. At first he went into deep stress mode, almost vertical and breathing fast. I realize these conditions are partially circumstantial for tiger barbs especially, and could be caused by bladder infection and poor water condition (evidently barbs are sensitive to nitrates) but instead of returning this little guy to my the lfs I decided to absorb the $2.99 and treat him. I fed him peas on the regular food schedule and intend to go with frozen or live on Wednesday, which will leave some fasting time. After 3 days of the purchase and 2 water changes with prime/airstone he is back at mid tank level and swimming around checking out the tank with some balance. I'm pleased, because after lights out he will rest down next to the larger male who is borderline rogue and downright violent (what I suspect was his original stressor).

After a fare share of studying I learned that barbs have specific defensive maneuvers as well as stress indicators. My roommate scoffs at my fish health enthusiasm, but I made a point to pay close attention to all the behaviors of these fish and thought I would share what I've learned. The most comprehensive article I have been able to find is this one:

The Grouch Blog: Tiger barbs

The 2nd males health has only recently gotten better so I will keep an eye on him, and updates on here. I love watching the behavior of this species, any feedback is welcome

Back
Top Bottom