The world's fattest betta -- updated w/ pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
My male betta that lives in the discus tank is starting to resemble a golfball. I had him in there as a "dither" fish, but the discus seem at home now. My choices for new residence for this guy are (a) in the community tank (which may or may not have some sort of disease thing going on but I'm feeding medicated food and have many days left of it) which has 3 female bettas already or (b) a 1 gallon open top tank unheated (easy enough to buy a heater and even get a piece of acrylic for a cover) that I'm not sure where I would put. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Here are pics for objective opinions:
Sorry about the resolution. I'm still playing with my new camera...

http://www.geocities.com/adoptanapbt/fatbetta1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/adoptanapbt/fatbetta2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/adoptanapbt/fatbetta3.jpg

It is not a good idea to put that male betta in the tank with the 3 females. Males and females should really never be together, unless it is a really realy big tank with lots of hiding places. I personally don't think even a 75 gallon is large enough. What about setting up that 20 gallon, and out either your male or your three females in there? Another option would be to separate him during feeding time.

As a side note, make sure he isn't sick. Bettas normally only get fat (according to bettatalk) in the tummy area behind and below the gills. It is possible that your betta has dropsy so make sure you watch his scales and ifhe starts looking like a pinecone, then you'll know for sure.

If no other fish is in QT, that's where I would place the betta for now. You probably alrady have a heater and a little filtration. This will give you time to decide where you want to put the one gal.

He's definitely fat, not sick. If he were a frat boy, he'd be in #1 place for a beer gut... So in fish would that be a pellet gut?

He definitely needs a diet!! When you separate him, feed a pea twice a week and the rest of the time, once a day--very sparingly!!

There's a difference between an overweight betta and a bloated betta. Overweight bettas are big all-over and usually only get this way when grossly overfed over a long period of time. Obesity does happen but it's pretty rare. A bloated betta will show bloating just around the stomach area. It'll look very round and if very severe will appear to look like he swallowed a marble.

Food related bloating is caused by a few different things. Most often it's caused by overfeeding. It can also be caused by feeding dry foods like pellets, freeze dried or flakes. Since these foods have a very low moisture content they tend to swell when introduced with water. If you don't give them a good 10 minute soak in tank water before feeding they can expand 2x - 3x their normal size in the bettas digestive track. Some brands contain mostly fillers as well which are indigestible to bettas. Watch out for pellet foods that contain mostly wheat meal, oatmeal, or other protein fillers.

If you are feeding mostly live or frozen foods you don't have to worry about the problem with moisture content but you do have to worry about introducing fiber to the diet. While live & frozen foods are much less likely to cause bloating or constipation it can become an issue if your betta is never getting any fiber to help keep him regular. (You may hear some people talk about these foods being "too rich". They are not too rich they just aren't a complete diet in and of themselves) Try feeding him live or frozen foods that contain roughage like exoskeletons (mysis shrimp) or wings (flightless fruit flies) or the good old trusted pea method.

What are you feeding? How much and how often? Maybe we can figure out if he's overweight or bloated from constipation. Constipation could become serious if left to continue over time.

Oh, I just wrote an article yesterday about constipation in bettas. Here's the link. http://www.nippyfish.net/constipation.html

I'll try to remember to get pictures tomorrow...

The lfs has been out of discus cubes for a few weeks now, even though they've been on order, so I've kind of been throwing a fish smorgasbord the last 2 weeks. They get a spirulina wafer 3x a week, frozen bloodworms 3x a week, and alternating frozen brine shrimp enriched w/ spirulina/cichlid chow/emerald cubes the rest of the time with shrimp pellets thrown in 3 or 4 times a week. Not a lot of fiber in that diet, I'd have to say. When I can get the discus cubes, the diet is: 1 cube daily and alternating frozen bloodworms and flakes in addition, and spirulina wafer 3x a week. I think even if he is bloated rather than fat, he should be put into his own tank unless I can toss several peas into the tank and call that a day's feeding b/c I don't know that the discus wouldn't eat the pea before the betta would.

I think even if he is bloated rather than fat, he should be put into his own tank unless I can toss several peas into the tank and call that a day's feeding b/c I don't know that the discus wouldn't eat the pea before the betta would.
I agree--the betta needs his own tank. The discuss will probably enjoy the peas as much as the betta :D

Just my two cents. When the community tank is healthy again, I would at least try the betta in there with the females. You can always watch carefully and take him out if it doesn't work. I have a male and female betta together in my 55 gal. community, and they love each other. They follow each other around the tank all the time, but I have seen no real aggression. They both seem to enjoy the space. It might be more complicated and upsetting with three females competing, though.

Jen,
That is not fat that is severe bloating. I'm really glad you posted the pics. 8O

I read your diet information but you didn't mention how much you are giving him at a feeding. I think the variation in food is good but you are probably overfeeding him by a lot. Bettas are not like other fish when it comes to feeding. You know how many fish food packages say, "feed what your fish can eat in 2 - 5 minutes"? This is dangerous advice for bettas.

For bettas, the standard amount is about the size of one of his eyeballs one to two times per day. So, for a full grown adult male that equals about 3 - 4 bloodworms at each feeding. If you are feeding brine shrimp usually 2 will do one to two times a day. That seems like a tiny amount to you but his stomach is only the size of his eyeball. (hence the rule of thumb)

Even if he appears to be starving and begging for food it is far more dangerous to overfeed then to underfeed. I would fast him for two or three days until the bloating goes down. If you are feeding him pea once a week a whole pea is WAY too much. Just put a tiny portion on the end of a toothpick and hand feed him. (again, just the amount the size of his eyeball)

When in doubt, err on the side of less. I only feed my bettas once a day (1 - 2 small blackworms, or 3 - 4 bloodworms, or 2 brine shrimp, etc) And they are definitely a good weight. :wink:

He is in with 3 discus that I'm growing out, so controlling how much he eats is impossible. I'm picking up a heater for my 1 gallon tank and will move him in there. So he needs a shelled pea. Is there anything else?

Back
Top Bottom