Think i want to add more fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaAx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright guys I have a 50g tank that I set up about 3 weeks ago. I started cycling with 10 Harley Rasboras and well 6 of them have died within the first week and a couple days. The last 4 have been going strong ever since. They are active and not showing any signs of stress or illness. 2 weeks ago I started a Stability treatment to help the BB in the tank. So my question is.... Do you guys think it's safe to bring my Harleys back up to a school of 10 or 12? Or should I let the tank cycle longer?

I would not introduce anything until the tank has cycled. The levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates would tell you where you are in the cycling process. Are you doing partial water changes?

Ok here are some pics of my tank too if that helps with anything. (This is my first fish tank by the way) thanks guys.

image-1732153554.jpg

image-567412010.jpg

image-2215788930.jpg

I would not introduce anything until the tank has cycled. The levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates would tell you where you are in the cycling process. Are you doing partial water changes?

Yea I have been doing 20% water changes every 3 to 4 days and I have been testing my water and my strips are not giving me good readings. My nitrites and nitrates levels are 0. Ammonia I can't tell with my testing supplies

Just like to say I love the transition or natural brown gravel to white sand. Looks like two different worlds

Just like to say I love the transition or natural brown gravel to white sand. Looks like two different worlds

Thanks! Yea I was looking for a kinda desert meets forest kind of theme. I will add more plants soon but I want to get my fish first to see if I need more hiding places or foliage. :) (designing the tank was my favorite part! Lol)

That looks awesome! You should get the master test kit. I have had several small tanks and didnt do so well years back. The master test kit is accurate and i wish i would have used it before. Ive learned that you have to know your water.

That looks awesome! You should get the master test kit. I have had several small tanks and didnt do so well years back. The master test kit is accurate and i wish i would have used it before. Ive learned that you have to know your water.

My LFS wants $47 for that dang kit! :/ if may e you guys know a place where I can get it cheaper

I got mine on amazon for $23 no shipping. And i got it really quick.

Yeah, or petsmart and petco have it for 25. That's where I got mine. And I've always wanted to try mixing substrate, looks amazing

Yeah, or petsmart and petco have it for 25. That's where I got mine. And I've always wanted to try mixing substrate, looks amazing

Yea I like the two tone looks but just keep in mind when ur doing water changes with that siphon vacuum thing... If u suck up sand make sure u stay on in the sand area cuz it's mixes with the gravel real easy. But also depends on the grit of sand u use. 20grit is what I have and it will fall under the gravel if u move the rocks around a bit.

Yea I like the two tone looks but just keep in mind when ur doing water changes with that siphon vacuum thing... If u suck up sand make sure u stay on in the sand area cuz it's mixes with the gravel real easy. But also depends on the grit of sand u use. 20grit is what I have and it will fall under the gravel if u move the rocks around a bit.

I imagine that you would need to be careful when adding water back into the tank. I had an old air pump shelf lying around and during water changes I hang it on the inside of the tank. When I add water I pour it on the shelf and it breaks up the flow. You could do the same with a specimen container (same one the LFS hangs on the the tank when catching fish). Just drill some holes in the sides, hang it on the inside and pour.

Love your sand/ gravel bottom. Very nice. :)

Fresh2o, clever idea for water dispersement.......I just got my first planted tank going with pfs sand and was trying to decide the best way to do water changes. Thanks for the idea!

Back
Top Bottom