Thinking of switching to sand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I switched from gravel to silica sand a couple of weeks ago, and am glad I did.
I paid a fortune and bought it from my LFS, with all the Xmas shopping and parties I didn't have time to shop around. $50 for 55lbs... ouch!

I washed the sand the evening before the switch, using two 5gallon buckets. It might have taken an hour to wash it all properly.

I vacuumed 10 gallons of current tank water into 2.5gal buckets, and put the plants and fish into them. No bubblers or heaters required, it was only for a couple of hours.
I vacuumed the rest of the current tank water into other buckets, then swapped the aquariums and poured in the sand. It would have been no different if i'd just scooped out the gravel and replaced it with sand.
Then filled it up with the old tank water, put in the plants, put in the fish, then added the new water that I'd treated beforehand to fill it up.

It was maybe a 2-hour experience for the fish, and doubt it traumatized them much. The sand is nicer to look at, but the dirt and poop are more visible. And I'm finding that I vacuum sand up each time I clean it. I might have to add 1lb or so every few months to keep it at a good level, no big deal.

I hope your switch is as good as mine. :)

Lol I am glad you said something about the poop, that's the one bad thing about sand it doesn't hide anything!

Mine are VERY happy with PFS. Check the local pool supply store. I think it was like 10$ for a 50lb bag.

I also switched from gravel to sand. I bought pool filter sand. 50lbs for 11$. I rinsed it and also added sandstones the same day ( had no fish at the time) and my water was crystal clear. I was shocked. I was expecting to be cloudy. I'm thinking about putting the left over sand in my 30 Gallon. It's really dresses up the tank. I highly recommend it especially for Corys

I recently switched from gravel to Caribsea Tahitian Moon substrate. Little more expensive that PFS, but I am happy with my choice. It is heavy enough that it settles quickly if kicker up and won't clog filters as long as you don't create a typhoon in your tank. Also falls out of the gravel vac if you get too close to the bed and suck some up. I wouldn't recommend the blasting sand as it is abrasive (to serve it's primary purpose) which won't make your cories happy. If you do go with Caribsea - make sure you get the dry sand. They sell 20 lb bag of dry or 20 lb bags of "live" sand. No sense paying for 15 lbs of sand and 5 lbs of water. Don't know about PFS - maybe that's the better choice but I have no experience with it. In my 92 gal I left the fish in the tank when I changed out the gravel for the sand. Just made sure to lower the sand to the bottom before dumping it and all made it through ok.
I agree. When I switched to sand in my 29 I put fish in buckets Drained tank most of the way. Scooped out all gravel. Added Tahitian sand to tank and used water changer to blast sand switched to siphen sucked all cloudy water out and repeat untill clear Add water and prime decor start filters back up added fish back. Took about 30 mn. The water changer made rinsing the sand in the tank a breeze Just a flip of the valve and fill to drain untill clear.

I agree. When I switched to sand in my 29 I put fish in buckets Drained tank most of the way. Scooped out all gravel. Added Tahitian sand to tank and used water changer to blast sand switched to siphen sucked all cloudy water out and repeat untill clear Add water and prime decor start filters back up added fish back. Took about 30 mn. The water changer made rinsing the sand in the tank a breeze Just a flip of the valve and fill to drain untill clear.

If I only had a water changer. Once I get the money I'm buying one!

Lol I am glad you said something about the poop, that's the one bad thing about sand it doesn't hide anything!

At first I didn't like seeing the poop either BUT seeing the poop made me a better fish keeper because it makes me stay up on my PWC so I can get it out..I can't stand the sight of it so I can't afford to get lazy....with gravel I could get a little lazy...as the saying goes out of sight out of mind.....
Good lick and have fun swtiching

I got mine from bunnings (Australian hardware store) once I had the sand I put it in an old pillowcase and ran water through that till it was clear

I got mine from Bunnings too but haven't finished setting up my tank yet. It was a 20kg bag of play sand for $6.75. Is that what you got and if so, were you happy with it?

Back
Top Bottom