Thoughts on 55 gallon kits...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhawkercp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am currently wanting to upgrade to a larger tank and was thinking about getting a 55 gallon kit. I have read all of the problems with the equipment that comes with these kits but hear me out and tell me what you think...

I currently have a 29 gallon FW set-up with a Penguin 350 dual biowheel filter. I know the filters that come in the kits are usually the bare minimum but I was thinking that I could use the filter I currently have on my 29 and use the filter in the kit for the 29. Good idea?

Another common complaint with the kits the lighting. I don't really want to have a planted tank so I don't think that should be a problem but I would like to know what you think. I basically want to set up a nice african cichlid tank with little to no plants (I'm not opposed to artificial...lazy I know).

Basically my biggest concern is if it would be cost effective... I have been scouring craigslist for set ups and haven't really seen anything considerably cheaper without needing just as much upgrades and a lot of cleaning (usually $125-150).

This tank probably won't see fish for at least a month or two but I'm an impatient enthusiast and would rather have it happen as soon as possible. Thanks, I appreciate your input...

P.S. I already have a pretty nice stand in storage that I got free from a friend

Depends on your personality, but personally, I would know that I would probably switch out the filters eventually, and possibly the light, so I reason that a greater up front cost will be less in the long run. I havent looked recently, but when I was buying my tanks, I think i found it cheaper to buy the tank locally and buy the rest online.

Yeah, it's pretty much up to what you want to do. You can use what you have on the 29 and put it in addition to what comes with the kit, that'll work fine at least for a while.

Or, just buy a tank and lights and you can do some research and get a good filter for it seperately. Either route will probably work.

Thanks for the input...what are your thoughts on this? 55 gallon tank WITH EVERYTHING

Has been up on CL for a while, slowly getting cheaper. I would have to drive about an hour out of the city to even take a look at it. That filter seems pretty intense... Is new filter media going to be a constant expense? Is it loud?

Thanks again..

Well canister filters are generally quieter, more efficient, and can survive longer between maintenance, and you don't need carbon or other stuff as media. I read that the fake snow that people roll out is made of 100% polyester, which is the same as filter floss, so you can diy stuff. I'd imagine filter media would be cheaper for canisters because you can buy in bulk instead of the cartridges, so..

Also I'm not up to date on prices, so someone else will have to pipe in.

Not bad considering what you'd need to spend new. Canister filters are GREAT - quiet and efficient....

Back
Top Bottom