"Thread" "worms" What's in my 10gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HouseDragon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had a 10 gal tank up and running for several months. Did the cycle thing. The tank has driftwood, plants; an albino corydorus, a salt & pepper corydorus, 4 glowlight tetras (there were five but one died almost immediately). I would like to buy 4 more tetras so they can school.

There were also a few ramshorn snails which were eating holes in the plant leaves: I removed them and whenever I see more babies out they come.

Yesterday when vacuuming with the python (thank you to all who recommended this fantastic accessory) I saw tiny threadlike "worms" about .5c long being sucked up out of the gravel. There were a few "swimming" after I refilled the tank but they soon disappeared. They appear to be colorless.

What are these? Should I get rid of them and, if so, how?

Thank you in advance.

They could be nematodes, very common in FW tanks. They are not parasitic so they are harmless to fish...some fish even hunt them for food.

It is a sign that your water column and or substrate is rich in nutrients. How often do you perform water changes? Feed fish?

Welcome to AA!

Thanks for the welcome, Jchillin.

I/we've been vacuuming-water changing once a week (although yesterday was 10 days), removing 1/3 of the water (half yesterday).

The fish are fed a few flakes 2-4 times a day. Three of them hang around together in the front of the tank with the fourth off by itself in the back of the tank behind a plant. It joins its colleagues when they are fed.

I also add a plant fertilizer tab twice a month.

Are there any pictures of nemotodes I could take a look at?

Do you think it's safe to add 3 or 4 more glowlight tetras? I'd like to see them schooling together.

Thank you for your quick answer.

Not a problem HoD, glad to help. In regard to the nematodes (or other FW wormy type thingies), googling "FW worms" will give you some good reference materials.

In regard to your stocking, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that you would overstock your tank with the addition of 4 glo-lights. If your tank is heavily planted and you have nice filtration, it's possible to overstock but again, I would not recommend it.

*Maybe two...but that's it. :)

Thanks again for the quick reply. A site that described nematodes as looking like wriggling cat hairs (but, of course, shorter) had pictures.

Nematodes it is!

The tank has two Anubias nana plants which are attached to a piece of driftwood and what started as 7 Java Ferns (Microsorum pteropus) attached to two more pieces of driftwood. The Javas are multiplying so must be happy. My DH brought them back for me from Maui.

I'll add two more glowlight tetras and hope they'll be happier and soon be schooling.

I'm a newbie in the sense that the last time I kept fish was in the early 1980s (we're newly back in the USA) and the hobby has definitely changed! For the better!!! Unfortunately we live on an island with only one small pet shop with only a few tanks of fish and no fish expert employees. But the ferry is due to come in 2007 and we'll be able to visit Honolulu with our van. A couple of 50-100 gallon tanks are in my future.

My previous tanks were two 20 gallon and a 50 gallon all of which have been in storage in CA for 23 years ... the joints have probably deteriorated.

Meanwhile I'll practice with 10 gallon tanks (I have a second to set up).

BTW, this is a great site!
HD

Back
Top Bottom