Tiger barb & Neon Tetras - HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haileyhunt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! I am new in the aquarium world. I have been struggling the past few weeks to keep some fish alive and I really need some help. I originally purchased a 3 gallon tank for 1 tiger barb and 3 neon tetras. I now have 1 tetra remaining. Once they died I realized I completely over crowded them and it's possible the water was not prepared enough. :(

Fast forward to today.... I am wanting the same types of fish and I am wondering if a 10 gallon will be enough? Can I prepare a 10 gallon with the appropriate sized heater/ filter with water conditioner and water balance for these 4 fish? Do I need a larger tank or more fish(since I know they're schooling)? How long do I need to cycle before adding fish? How much water do you remove when doing tank cleanings, and how often should you clean?

Any other tips for what i may be doing wrong is appreciated. Super bummed these 3 passed :(

Attachments

• 20210320_173130.jpg
    20210320_173130.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Tiger barbs should be 6 minimum and 20g minimum tank size. Neon tetras would be ok in a 10g tank, better in a 20g and again 6 minimum. So if you want to keep both a 20g could support a small school of each.

How long to cycle? As long as it takes. Do you know how to cycle a tank? Fishless cycle typically takes 3 to 8 weeks. A fish in cycle, you can add some fish straight away and then build up your stock slowly over a few months.

How much water to change? Typically do a weekly water change, enough to keep nitrate beloe 40ppm.

Back
Top Bottom