Tiger Barb Swimming Nose-Down. Please Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobiusnu

Aquarium Advice Activist
Three days ago I bought a new green Tiger Barb. It looked healthy at the store, but since I've brought it home, it just hides nose-down (almost completely vertical) in the back corner of my tank.

It comes up to the surface to eat, but then goes back to its corner.

Any ideas about what might be wrong?

[center:b36d0d8f1b] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, mobiusnu! :n00b: [/center:b36d0d8f1b]

Answer these Qs (some are repeats, but it's my standard list) to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the beset of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

I am not a keeper of barbs, but I recall seeing this mentioned before and members believed it was normal. Definitely check the water parameters and get back to us :D

1~What type of fish is afflicted?
-- Just the one green Tiger Barb

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
-- I don't know, but the guy at Petco said that my ammonia and nitrite levels were undetectable and my nitrate level was acceptable.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
-- The tank is a 10 gallon tank that has been set up for 6 years.

4~What type of filtration are you using?
-- I'm using an undergravel filter powered by a somewhat big air pump with two outlets.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?
-- There are 4 fish in the tank. 2 1.5" Tiger Barbs, 1 2" Dwarf Gourami. 1 3" Pleco.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
-- I vacuumed 6 days ago. I vacuum the gravel about once every week or two. I remove about 30% of the water.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
-- The other three fish have been there for about 4 months. The new fish was put into the tank after floating in it's bag from the store for 20 minutes.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
-- No.

This is the same behavior I see out of my barb when he goes to sleep or the lights have been out for a bit. Try giving him a while to adjust to his surroundings. I would suggest a few more barbs, as they are schooling fish, but I'm not sure if a 10gallon is big enough.

I don't want to get any more fish for the tank if I can help it. The Tiger Barbs are still going to grow a bit. I might be able to squeeze one more Tiger Barb in if that will help.

3-5 would be ideal, but when they can max at at 3" or so, you are right about not being able to get any more. Perhaps this is just a sign that you need to buy a bigger tank?

Back
Top Bottom