Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tiny Tiny fish ideas?

I'm in the process of setting up a 5.5 gallon yellow shrimp tank (a yellow breed of rcs) with a bunch of Java moss, some java fern, and a piece of Malaysian driftwood.
I'd really like to add some tiny fish in a few months when my shrimp colony is more established (tiny do they hopefully don't eat as many shrimp), but I'm having trouble choosing a type.
They would need to be really small when full grown (under an inch), and if possible schooling or shoaling fish with decent colors.
I've been considering endlers, ember tetras, and a few species of rasboras... Any advice or suggestions?

Old 09-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggypie View Post
I'm in the process of setting up a 5.5 gallon yellow shrimp tank (a yellow breed of rcs) with a bunch of Java moss, some java fern, and a piece of Malaysian driftwood.
I'd really like to add some tiny fish in a few months when my shrimp colony is more established (tiny do they hopefully don't eat as many shrimp), but I'm having trouble choosing a type.
They would need to be really small when full grown (under an inch), and if possible schooling or shoaling fish with decent colors.
I've been considering endlers, ember tetras, and a few species of rasboras... Any advice or suggestions?
just dont do a fish, honestly the only thing i would put in is a betta but hed probably eat your shrimp

Old 09-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ember tetras or celestial pearl danios. The embers are less expensive but they are really cute and will top out at 1 inch for females and smaller for males. I paid 2.99 each for them. The prices for the CPDs that I have been seeing are 5.99 to 7.99 each and they are smaller than an inch. very pretty fish. Drs. Foster and Smith sells them and has good pictures of them. Alison
Old 09-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Chili rasboras are my favorite option for that size tank as they stay the smallest. A 10 gal would probably give you slightly more options, but just make sure to stay on top of your weekly PWCs (perhaps biweekly in this case) as parameters can swing pretty quickly in a 5.5 g.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Honestly I would only put a betta in there too, but, like another person said, he could eat your shrimp. 5g in my opinion is not really big enough for anything else. A betta would be very happy in there, but you already have shrimp in there, so.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'll probably go with some ember tetras or shrimp only depends on how stable the tank seems and how much maintenance I want to do...
Old 09-23-2014, 01:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a five gallon with a single dwarf puffer and some shrimp. However I am playing with a loaded gun there... that pairing can go one of two ways, I lucked out. It also helped that my shrimp camouflage into the tank really really well and I keep my puffer feed daily. Granted I have only seen one shrimp at a time (they only come out late at night now) so I may have one shrimp or all four still...

But breeding the shrimp would be out of the question... well the puffers will enjoy each new hatching of shrimp.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 09-23-2014, 01:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck
Old 09-23-2014, 02:00 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would go with a small school of ruby tetras. I have them and they stay under an inch. They are bright red too with a black spot and white on their fins. Very peaceful and good schoolers.

I would still suggest a 10 gallon though. That way the fish and the shrimp have plenty of room.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411448443.476018.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	250737
Old 09-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Those fish are very pretty. First Time I have seen them. Were they hard to find or did they have to be specially ordered? Alison
Old 09-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got them from wetspot, which can be pricey depending on your shipping option. Wetspot usually has them available on aquabid.

I have had stuff shipped priority and overnight and in both cases I have never had a DOA.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would find a colorful, large finned, showy trio of male guppies in contrasting colors such as orange, red, and yellow or red, purple and blue for the tank. Always wanted to do that.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I really wanted to do that originally but I'm worried they're going to make a feast of the shrimp...
Old 09-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually my guppies were fine with shrimp- I had ten small ghosts that survived for a long time but eventually died of parasites.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Male guppies shouldn't be able to eat yellows anyway I have fry in my tank, around five, under an eighth of an inch and they haven't been touched.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Really? Gosh, now my problem is whether to add a few guppies or some ember tetras or no fish at all...
Old 09-27-2014, 04:33 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you want your shrimp to breed don't add any fish. Even tiny fish will snack on baby shrimp.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Guppies get twice as big as embers or neons. They grow to 2 inches and have a bigger mouth in comparison. The yellow shrimp that you are considering only get an inch full grown and the babies are really small. I would think you would be better off with the smaller type fish and lots of Java moss and small plants for the baby shrimp to hide in, and maybe a couple of the marino moss balls. They should both help keep your water a little cleaner, and I denfinately would not put a betta in there if you want to raise baby shrimp though he would be really happy and full. Just my opinion. Alison
Old 09-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Guppies get twice as big as embers or neons. They grow to 2 inches and have a bigger mouth in comparison. The yellow shrimp that you are considering only get an inch full grown and the babies are really small. I would think you would be better off with the smaller type fish and lots of Java moss and small plants for the baby shrimp to hide in, and maybe a couple of the marino moss balls. They should both help keep your water a little cleaner, and I denfinately would not put a betta in there if you want to raise baby shrimp though he would be really happy and full. Just my opinion. AlisonOh and by the way ghost shrimp get to be 2 inches long
Old 09-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #20
come get me tang police!

Least killifish, pygmy killifish, and pygmy sunfish. You can probably find them out in a local waterway if you look hard enough.

Tags
fish, fish ideas, ideas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com