To do list for transition from fishless cycle to fish full tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think my cycle is nearly done. Looks like opinions vary (it can process 2ppm in 24 hours, not more). The water has added buffer and phosphate to help the cycle move quickly.

So here's what I'm thinking I need to do, given that my tap water is basically like distilled water (I'm being brief here, the long stories are in other threads).

So if I'm getting fish Sunday ...

Keep feeding 2ppm ammonia till sat, keep testing to confirm nitrites and ammonia go to zero in 24 hours.

Change 90% of water Sat night. Even if nitrites aren't high I don't need the high pH, KH, and phosphate. This time use dechlorinator that also helps slime coat.

Check Sunday am that KH is at 3 drops, as I expect the current amount of crushed coral does on it's own. Check that pH is reasonable (6 to 6.5 is where my water "likes" to be).

Bring water sample to the store just because and have them test it.

Get seachem equilibrium to get GH up to 3 degrees (drops on API test) of minerals that are actually useful.

Acclimate fish then get them into their new home.

(Still exploring pros and cons of stocking more than 6 of one species at once).
Anything I'm missing?

Thanks! (Tank is 29 gallon).

That sounds good. There's no real reason not to stock more than 6 of a schooling species of fish.

I'm sure it was covered in other places but you really need your ph above 6.4 to keep the BB happy.

Thanks!

By 6 at a time I meant just 6 fish at a time, going species by species. I'm doing 6 each of several little fish and wouldn't stock one of each species then a second of each. I did word that funny.

I wasn't aware low 6es is an issue with bb. The local LFS (which apparently is one of the biggest in the country) said 6 is fine if it's consistent. Our water has no natural buffers. Perhaps because it's more ok for bacteria to be somewhat dormant at that pH because ammonia doesn't get very toxic. But I'll definitely look into it further.

An explanation of the statement that ammonia doesn't get very toxic at 6 pH ... With thanks to Threnjen.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/343029-calculating-the-toxicity-of-ammonia-in-freshwater/

At 6ph and tank of 75 degrees it'd take a huge huge amount of ammonia to be toxic. I'd take the ammonia reading and multiply by .00053 to figure out the toxicity. Looks like I'd need over 90 ppm on the API test to have truly toxic ammonia levels.

By what I can tell, and maybe this is what LFS meant, is that I'd have a slow nitrogen cycle but it'd be more problematic for plants than fish because I'd not get much nitrate by the time I change water.

And fortunately the bacteria go dormant, they don't die. So as pH fluctuates a touch with water changes it'll be ok.

The pH and ammonia toxicity relation is there yes. But at 6.4 pH the activity of the beneficial bacteria we want slows down considerably. At 6.0 it stops altogether so you won't have any conversion.

I found this in a scientific article a while back but don't have the link anymore. If you really wanted I could try track it down again.

It's ok thanks. I believe you, I just rechecked my own references and my records of pH in my other tank, my fish should be fine.

A little accidental experiment too ... Some tank starters I was given had baby snails which I expected to die during the "highly toxic" fishless cycle. After several weeks they're alive and well. The temp and pH are a lot higher now but by the chart it's still usually not toxic.

Yeah, pond snails and cockroaches are going to be the only species on earth to survive the nuclear holocaust.

That sounds good. There's no real reason not to stock more than 6 of a schooling species of fish.

I'd add that more is better, provided you have the space.
The more you have in a school, the better they are at "schooling up". Like when you're at the LFS and you see the 50 Rummy Nose Tetras all swimming together in a semi-organized group. Then, when you get home with the 6-7 you purchased you're a little disappointed when they barely hang out.

I'm glad for the reminder that bigger schools are better, so I could go look at things again. The zebra danio were the biggest and most likely to intimidate, and I'm completely in love with Danio Tinwini which is super hardy and small. I realize tiny fish may be odd in a big tank but I keep thinking they will be great in larger groups.

So I tried this and aqua advisor likes it ...

12 danio tinwini
12 dwarf pencilfish
9 harlequin rasboras
6 dwarf chain loach
5 Pygmy cories

Honestly I don't know about the cories, I don't love them and keep reading about cories being the ones in the tank that died. The dwarf loaches are too expensive to get more. Hmm.

I get the argument for stocking all together to avoid territory disputes, so maybe I'll stock a layer at a time. Top swimmers first, bottom last. Or something.

I think it will look cool. Im in the planning stages of re-assembling my 45 gallon and my primary stock is going to be a school of 40+ Ember Tetras.

Tank is processing 3 ppm in 24 hours so looks like it really is all set.

The other thing I can't figure out is the power head. How strong, what area of the tank, with or without the bubbler. I have an Aquaclear 40 and it had no instructions in the box lol. The fish guy who convinced me to buy it was sure my river ish fish would love it but it seems like quite a current for tiny guys.

Whew!!! That took a lot longer than I thought.

I got 6 each rasboras and neons, a little coppery neon I never noticed before today that goes well with the rasboras. Satisfies my desire to have several small schools yet not too much of a jumbled up appearance. They are even schooling together.

Changing GH/KH methods was harder than I expected. Lots of changing water and retesting. And unexpectedly most of the plants I got were java fern and anubias and I hadn't planned to attach anything ...

So I guess I'd say the one thing I left off the list was Lots more time than I would have thought I needed! (Mostly I admit due to my sand substrate, it's so messy, during the cycle I just poured water in roughly knowing I'd have to totally re-scape). ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398042268.601837.jpg

Back
Top Bottom