To plant or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennkp

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a newly set up (3 weeks) cycling 30gallon tank with 3 zebra danios. Right now my ammonia levels are reading between .50 & 2.0 so I'm doing 50% water changes every other day, but I have no nitrite or nitrate readings so far. I have the API ammonia kit & will be gettin the master kit this weekend as lsf is out of them. Anyway I want to plant the tank I think, what are good plants to start with? What would you recommend?

Wow those are some ammonia levels, you may want to do more than one water change in a day to get the ammonia closer to zero if not zero. My 10g fish IN didn't show nitrItes until week 6 & completed cycling at week 8. As far as plants, it depends a little on your lighting & how much effort you want to put into them. Simple plants IME, such as amazon swords, annubias, java fern, hornwort, anachris. I have 5 tanks & certain plants are doing better in some tanks than others not sure why but I go with the flow & work with it by trial & error.

Yesterday the ammonia level was at .25 & I did a 50% water change the day before. I will be doing another 50% in just a few minutes. How long should I wait before I test the ammonia again? Immediately?

I tested every 24 hrs, if my ammonia or nitrites or >.25 I'd do my 50%+ water change, wait about an hour then retest the water, if still >.25 I'd do another water change.

I would test and change everyday until you drop below .25, I would hate to see someone lose interest in aquariums because of an extended and/or stalled cycles. If your ammonia levels are at 2 for any extended amount of time your fish will be affected, fins will 'melt' blah blah, I'm not gonna preach, but another thing it's going to affect- your nitrites, then nitrates, phosphates, all of which are lethal to your little ones. Until you've gone through the complete cycle process (0 ammonia, 0 trites, 0 trAtes, ph stable between 6.8 and 7.2 for a week) that you do a couple of gallons water change per day and maybe try out nutrafin cycle, seachem stability, API StartZyme+ to boost beneficial bacteria (odds are 50/50 on that one). Best of luck

I started with the start zyme & I don't know if it did anything or not. I definitely won't be losing interest I've put in too much time to turn back now. This isn't my first tank, but it's been years & all I did then was put in water that had been conditioned & my fish. I had 2 angelfish & 2 black skirt tetras for 4-5 years before they passed after that I put everything away. I'm starting to see I just got really lucky with them as I didn't put in anywhere near the amount of time & energy as I have with this tank & I really want it to be successful.

Oh & just to clarify I didn't mean I was goin out to by plants today or right away for that matter. Just once it's completely cycled & stable I'd like to plant the tank.

I see. I would plant, then again I'm obsessed, lol
391798_504171726288317_923720097_n.jpg
My 10g plants- ludwigia repens, crypts, anubias, tropical fern, 2 tiger lotus', pond lily and peace lily. :)

Love those colors!! The gravel is a red color in the tank & I have a temple decoration & a Buddha so is like to plant it across the back once it's done. Oh I just tested as well & it's been over an hour & the ammonia level is between .25 & .50 so ill be doing another water change by the end of the night.

Thanks!! Good luck!! I love using reds, pinks and purples for some reason. If you want to get into planting I'd recommend Malaysian bogwood for a driftwood 'anchor' for floated rooting for plants, and injecting ferts to the root area to help grow bulbs..... Lighting gets complicated too, but I digress, lol

Back
Top Bottom