to scared to think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ebster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to set up a new ten gallon tank and I want somthing I need to work on my skill. :multi: So what should I get I want school fish plants adn 1/2 shrimp to help with algea its a ten gallon with every so what to get. :n00b: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

Welcome to Aquarium Advice Ebster! :wave:
Have you ever kept fish before? your post is a little hard to understand, spelling/sentence structure....
I'll pretend just for yucks that you've never had a aquarium before,
its as easy as 1 2 3....
(1)Decide where to put tank, even a 10 gal needs a sturdy stand.
(2)Add substrate, any decor/ plastic/silk plants, background, ect...
(3)Fill with treated/dechlorinated water
(4)Set heater in place, allow to come to water temp (.5hr) before turning on.
(5)Setup filter and start it flowing.
(6)Do you have your water chemistry test kits? NH3, NO2, NO3 and PH. You "MUST" have these to know when cycle is complete, so you can add fish! :D
(7)Start cycling process.... Fishy or fishless cycling?
(8)Start thinking, researching and learning about what kind of fish you might want. 10gal tank will limit you a little, but you can still have a/some very pretty fish/fishes.
(9)Cycle done?....... Add fish and enjoy!

well, most schooling/shoaling fish prefer to be in groups of 6 and that can be hard to do in a 10 gallon tank unless your filteration is incredible. It is really simple to upgrade your filter system though. so you will want to have som hardy fish so i wold go with something like 6 corydoras (can get them to be extremely striking) or even 1 or 2 dwarf gourami species. You could do a group of 5 or 6 tiger barbs etc. The shrimp will only work with certain species as some may see them as a nice snack. If you want to get something else that eats algae you can get a few things like otocinclus catfish (stay REALLY small) or even a rubber mouth plecostomus. I say rubbermouth over the popular bristlenose because the rubbermouth stays at a nice max size of 3.5"-4" and i have never heard of a case where this particular species has attacked anything (unlike the bristlenose). When getting your tank, i personally would make sure that it is a glass tank as opposed to a acryllic tank for the fact that if you got a clown pleco or most panaque species that the tank WILL get scratched up from their teeth. I wish you all the best.

Back
Top Bottom