Tomorrow: New Danios!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rynthae

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tomorrow I'm planning on heading out to get five or six zebra danios for my 10 gal. tank. The only other fish in there at the moment is a pleco, about 1 year old, maybe three or four inches long.

I was wondering if there was any advice for taking care of danios that anyone had to offer. I've chosen them because they are fun and very hardy fish from what I hear. I also had a couple questions about taking care of them....

Firstly, I have a few different types of fishfood on hand already. I've heard that danios will eat a large variety of things, and I was wondering if anything I have on hand will work. I have goldfish flakes, goldfish crumbles, shrimp pellets, and algae wafers.

Also, I've heard that you can't have just two or three, or they become pretty serious fin-nippers. I've heard some people say that you should get at least five, and others say six. But I've also heard you should get an odd number. If I get five, will they do all right? Or should I go for six? If I can, I'd like to just get five of them, but I don't want the danios to become aggressive.

Thanks!

~Rynthae

I'd get zero personally. Danios like to swim and a 10g tank is pretty small and doesn't offer much in the way of swimming room. However, if you do decide to get danios still I'd go with 5-6 but no more and no less. You are also going to have to rehome your common pleco very soon. They can grow 17-21" long and they aren't suited for tanks less than 125g or 6 feet long. You will have major nitrate problems which will lead to tons of algae in the short term and sick/dead fish in the long run.

I do have plans of getting a larger tank in the long run, as my pleco grows, and if that somehow is no longer possible, I also have a back up plan. A friend of mine who loves the pleco dearly said she'd be happy to take him if I ever needed her to, and has a ton of experience with keeping fish.

If I do get 5 danios, will that be enough, then?

And, also, will they eat any of the food I have on-hand?

5 will be enough and yes, they'll eat pretty much anything even if it has to be crushed up to fit into their mouths.

Back
Top Bottom