Top for guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Hewitt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm considering setting up a second tank and my LFS has some very good deals on basic tanks but they are just the tank nothing else. I actually think the tank they have would look very good without any hood on the top especially as the tank will be on a low table.

Would not having a top on the tank pose a problem with the guppies (and maybe cories) that I intend to keep?

Guppies no problem. Cories, you might have some trying to carpet surf. Cories have labyrinth organs and will come to the surface to take a gulp of air. Sometimes they come shooting up from the bottom and can jump a good 2-3 inches. When I had my two albinos they were notorious for splashing/scaring me every time I fed them by jumping out of the tank.

Cories are not that important so I can do without them in that case, I already have some in my other tank. So I won't be finding guppies on the floor in the morning?

With those huge fins, I don't think guppies can generate the speed needed to end up on the floor. Females maybe, males no.

You'll be good. I'm hoodless with otos, white clouds and neons. I wouldn't go on that big fin- slow fish assumption. I've had bettas that jumped out and became fish jerky.

I wouldn't go on that big fin- slow fish assumption. I've had bettas that jumped out and became fish jerky.

Guppies are in a different class altogether. Some of my big males seem to struggle to swim properly due to the size of their tails.

I've got my tank set up now, no fish yet! To my surprise it did actually come with a hood of sorts, but just a plastic one - think of the type of plastic cap you get with a takeaway coffee and you won't be far off.

My wife really didn't like the idea of the tank not having a top on it, not only for the fish falling out but things falling into the tank, and she's insisted that I put the top on - at least for now.

However I'm concerned now that the top encloses the tank and that no air will get in and as a result the oxygen levels in the water will drop. I was hoping to run the tank without an air pump as being the size it is, I don't think it needs one, plus they would all be overkill for the size ( 18 x 10 x 10 ).

4827426488_fe49cc2d46_m.jpg

Run a small sponge filter in my ten gallon tank as well as a twenty gallon.
So long as there is some surface agitation from HOB filter or sponge filter,there will be no issues with oxygen depletion.

Sure, but the problem is there will be little / no air exchange above the surface of the water due to the top!

Most prefab hoods have more than enough openings in the top for air exchange. Usually a large cutout for the HOB, heater, cords, etc.

Are there not perforated dots so to speak along the edge of the hood on one side?those that i have seen do and it becomes necessary to take a pair of pliers and gently bend the plastic along these dots to create opening to allow a hang on the back filter and also a smaller area for heater cable to pass through.
If not,, then keeping the water level down a couple inches in the tank will allow enough surface area for oxygen exchange with the use of a small sponge filter.

Any chance of posting a picture? I have yet to see a top that completely seals a tank.

well you should tank one of the top so we can see the back. most have a plastic that you cut to make room for the filter.

Back
Top Bottom