total do over of 38 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terri06

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys just looking for some advice/opinions im totally re doing my current set up jst wondering if i store 50% of the current water wud i need to re cycle the tank wen ive changed over the substrate also any opinions on some nice fish for stocking

The water doesn't hold any beneficial bacteria. They're all on the surfaces in your tank and filter.

Keep the filter media in a bucket of tank water. If it's going to take more than a day, add a little pure ammonia to the bucket to feed the bacteria.

What would you like to do with the tank? Community? Planted? Species?

Hi with regard to stocking the tank, personally with a 38 gal tank I'd go semi aggressive, 8-10 tiger barbs, a cichlid as the centre piece (maybe a blue acara or a severum) and pictus catfish. Thats what I would do but some may disagree good luck with the tank. In reply to the 50 % water recycling, this will be a waste of time im afraid as it is true, the water holds minimal bacteria so you will need to cycle the tank again. The way to speed up cycling, put some of your existing substrate( if the old setup is still running) into a stocking and place it in your tank. It is packed full of bacteria. If the substrate is dry then the bacteria will have died within 3 days and this excursive is pointless. You can also run your old filter in the tank (if you are changing it) with some of the filter media from your old tank as this is also full of bacteria. Hope to have helped an I hope the switch over goes well

Back
Top Bottom