Total Fish Newb Getting Started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RB9450

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I should start by saying that I know nothing about fish. I have recently bought a house and I have always wanted a Aquarium. I think this is the right place to help me get started and to avoid the problems I am finding people have when getting started. I am going to go and try to find a good book to read up on before I buy anything as to learn the vocabulary etc.

That being said I do know that aquariums can be exspensive and require effort to keep running smoothly. I am prepared to invest in both. I would like a medium to large tank. 30-55 gallons? I want one large enough so that i can make a stunning landscape and have enough room for multiple amounts of fish.

Any suggestions on equipment i will need or anything in general pertaining to my situation will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to AA! Let me start by saying the bigger you can afford and find room for the better. Larger tanks once they have cycled are easier to maintain.

A few articles that are excellent to start with are http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/24/1/Nitrogen-Cycle-/Page1.html Nitrogen cycle , and http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...ks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/Page1.html Tips for your fastest fishless cycle

For filtration you will probably want a cannister filter or a cannister and a HOB (hang on back) filter combined. At least one heater, 300w or better yet, 2 heaters of 200watts for a 55 gal.

Do you have an interest in a live planted tank? If so check our planted tank section to get some ideas.

Any ideas on the kinds of fish you are interested in? A lot of advice we can offer can be designed to the specific type of fish you are interested in.

Congratulations on the house.:D

Read the different threads in the forums and don't forget to check out the articles section. There is a wealth of information there. Good topics to start with are the nitrogen cycle, and fishless cycling. Before you buy anything try to figure out what kind and/or type of fish you want. Also try to figure out where you will put the tank. This will help you pick a size that will fit.
These should help:
water conditions http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/25/1/PH-and-General-Water-Conditions/Page1.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/common-newbie-pitfalls-67468.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/your-first-tank-what-fish-should-you-get-53163.html

And most importantly if you have any questions just ask.

After visiting Petsmart i got a very nice book that I believe will help me understand what I am getting into. It should answer all the basic questions i might have. I was not at all impressed with what they carried in plants/fish so I need to find a specialty store in my area.

They did however have some nice prices on 40-50 gallons tanks. I have decided to go with live plants and im going to go with tropical community fish. Any suggestions on plants/fish that will work for me. I do want some colorful vibrant fish to stock my tank and any ideas on the amount of fish i can place within a 50 gallon?

If you are interested in colorful consider german blue rams or apistogrammas. They are colorful and love planted tanks.

With your initial statement in mind,"I should start by saying that I know nothing about fish", please start with simple easy to care for fish......Fish like Rams and the SA Dwarf Cichlids require very good water quality and general requirements that a novice has yet to learn about...............Please research all the aspects of fish keeping and the various types of fish before finding out "the hard way".

Ok, i have been doing a lot of research this weekend and reading through the numerous posts on this website. I have picked out a few key componets that will go into my aquarium and this is what i have found.

Lighting - Current USA Nova Extreme TS x2 FW
36" 2x39 = 78 watts or 48" 2x54 watt = 108 watts

Filter - Hagen Fluval 305 Multi-Stage Canister Filter or
Rena Filster XP3 Canister Filter and maybe a HOB filter undecied

Heater - (2)Ebo Jager Heater 150/200 watt or (2) Hydor Theo 200 watt

I am going to have a 50/55 gallon planted tropical community tank. Just a few of the plants that are beginner/low light plants i like are -
Anubias Nana
Vals Corkscrew
Amazon Sword
Java Fern
Red Melon Sword
Will most likely add a DIY CO2 setup

Possible Fish that go in when ready to stock will be -
4-5 Platies
6-8 Zebra Danios
6-8 various Tetra
4-6 Cory Cats

I have also purchased a spectacular piece of driftwood that i fell in love with. Also going to create some caves or walls with rocks that will provide cover and layering. Is this setup going to be the right way to go? Or does anyone see any potential problems? Also any info on gravel/substrate that will work good with these type of plants. Thank you for any feedback/info as i would really love to get this right the first time and avoid any frustration/wasted time and money.

After visiting Petsmart i got a very nice book that I believe will help me understand what I am getting into. It should answer all the basic questions i might have. I was not at all impressed with what they carried in plants/fish so I need to find a specialty store in my area.

They did however have some nice prices on 40-50 gallons tanks. I have decided to go with live plants and im going to go with tropical community fish. Any suggestions on plants/fish that will work for me. I do want some colorful vibrant fish to stock my tank and any ideas on the amount of fish i can place within a 50 gallon?

Before you finalize deciding upon a size, learn what you can about lighting needs in a planted tank, look for some lighting options, and sources for replacement bulbs. I'm currently up-grading a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon long. The 20 gallon long, and the standard 29 gallon tanks are both 30" wide. It seems like there are very few choices when it comes to lighting for this size tank, as most bulbs are 24" or 48".

Agree - planning ahead will go a long way towards minimizing spend and headaches.

Looks like you're on the right track! Post some pics once you're up and cycling!

I just purchased a 75 gallon tank. Its 48" x 18" x 21". Someone in my area was selling with a stand for very cheap so i bought it. I guess im going to have to upgrade everything i thought i was going to get. I will post pics once im alble to move into my new house and get stuff setup.

Back
Top Bottom