Transfering tanks and Stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello!

I currently have one betta male in a 5.5 gallon tank. The tank has been up and running for over a year. I have decided I want to move him from the 5.5 to a 10 gallon. (this way I can start a shrimp tank with the 5.5 and get him tank mates)

So my question is.

If I just move everything out of the 5 gallon (gravel, live plants, decorations, water, and the actual filter (and cartridges)) into the 10 gallon and then fill the ten gallon rest way up will that essentially be just like doing a 50% water change on the tank? Will it be cycled and safe for the betta?

Also what tank mates can I put in a 10 gallon? My betta is prett docile and has been with shrimp and snails before never bothering any of them.
I was thinking maybe 5 neon tetras and then either corys or ottos in there too? I am leaning towards ottos if they will fit okay just for the algea control.
Any other recs for stocking would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Yep, as long as you move the filter from the 5 gal to the 10 gal (or the media itself) it should keep it cycled for the betta. You might need a larger filter for the 10 gal depending on what you're using now; if so you can just run both filters or if you can fit the media from the 5 gal into the new filter that'll work too. When you add more fish though the toxin levels are likely to rise temporarily as the bacteria adjust so just test and do extra water changes as needed.

I wouldn't do neons in a 10; they're pretty active fish and would prefer some more swim room. A group of nano fish would work though (celestial pearl danio, chili rasbora or ember tetra) although they can be hard to find. There's some debate about corys in a 10 gal given their activity level; you might be able to get away with some dwarf of pygmy corys but again they aren't the easiest to find; any of the other corys are too large for a 10. You could probably do a few Otos in a 10 gal; they can be picky eaters though. Most prefer diatoms and biofilm that's already in the tank; some will eventually take to eating supplements like algae or veggie wafers or blanched fresh veggies (zucchini seems to be a favorite for most). You can try different things with them to see what they'll go after; it might take a while to get them to eat prepared fish food.

Go to The Wet Spot Tropical Fish online, and they have EVERY fish there. Well, almost.
I would advise against ottos in a ten gallon, they may starve.

Otherwise, librarygirl has it covered!

Back
Top Bottom