Treating swim bladder disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mayreee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Will "PimaFix" treat swim bladder disease? All of the sudden my Platy is swimming funny. Every once in a while she tilts on her side. Just wondering if that will treat it because that is all I have here. If so I have a hospital tank for her to go in.

Thanks

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

10 Gallon
2 Neons
1 Molly
1 Platy
1 Swordtail

Just in case, I'll toss in some info...

Swim bladder disease is not a disease in its own right, it is - infact - a symptom of something else. Usually a bactertial infection. In cases severe enough to cause SBD, i would suggest some strong meds and lots of small, serial water changes to bring down bacterial loads in your tank.

So no, I wouldn't trust Pimafix to handle your problem.

That's okay that no one replied :) I thought it was fixed, but I noticed tonight it is not. She is still alive and tilts to the side every so often. What should I treat her with? Something for bacterial infections? I have a hospital tank for her also.

did you change something in the tank latly? or has she been doing this sence you got her? i read a studdy a wile ago that said something about how plexi glass will through off signals from a fishes electro receptors causing them to swim at an angle until they recognize their position and corect it.
i really dobt this is it, but if its been happening sence you got her this might ( and a far off might) be it

I have had her for about 4 months and it just started happening about 2 weeks ago.

[url=http://faq.thekrib.com/disease-fw.html said:
thekrib[/url]]
Swim bladder disorders
Fish floats upside-down or sideways. This is particularly common in fancy goldfish because of their bizarre body shapes. Dry food eaten quickly swells up in the fish's intestine and keeps the fish from controlling its swim bladder properly.
To help, feed the fish pre-soaked or gel-based foods. Green foods are also helpful; peas in particular.

As with finrot, these disorders can also be caused by bacterial infection. Treatment is much the same. Use antibiotic food if the fish is eating, or add antibiotic to the water in a quarantine tank if the fish is too sick to eat.
I like kanamycin based meds, which can be added to the water and/or the food.

On this same topic, I could use a little advise.

I have an angel in my freshwater tank who constantly fins and kicks to stay upright. (looking towards the top of the tank, like it's looking for food.) The other angels all have no problems.

I had an angel fin tetra that did this about 6 months ago, but I thought it was just getting old. I Had it about 6 years. The angel is only a little more than a year old. I have a lot of other fish in there and none of them exhibit this behavior. Is it possible that it is a swim badder problem. It looks like it takes a lot of energy for him to stay upright. :|

Back
Top Bottom